Switch Hax Weekly Issue 4

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Quantumcat, Oct 1, 2018.

Front-page
    banner-4.

Welcome to Switch Hax Weekly Issue 4. There hasn't been a lot going on this week so this issue will be a short one. For more reading please see our last issue here.

This week we have:

• SD Files guide site
    • New banning scare
    • Play other Game Maker Studio games using Undertale
    • Add new games to the NES app
    • News from Qcean
    • New homebrew roundup

@nickmoses05 made a video based on this issue, so if you don't like reading, check it out (the information starts at 98 seconds in):

SD Files guide site

A new guide has launched on the sdsetup.com website: https://guide.sdsetup.com. It will walk you through setting up your Switch for the first time, and is CFW-agnostic.

The main part of the site allows you to create a custom zip file with all the files you need for your SD card. You can choose your CFW, homebrew utilities, games and emulators, and PC tools. This way you get what you need without anything you don't, and don't have to visit multiple pages to get each of the tools you need.

New banning scare

Correction:
    This morning, some developers from within the Switch Hacks Discord server contacted me about the incorrect information going around about CDNSP cert banning. It turns out that the Switch can generate an authentication token to send with server requests. Until now, the server hasn't asked for one. But now that it is asking for them, every cert that tries to connect and doesn't send one with its request will be banned immediately, including certs from 6.0 consoles. It seems as though nobody actually tried a cert from a 6.0 console to confirm before this misinformation started spreading.

Original

Play other Game Maker Studio games via Undertale

Discovered by Twitter user Chocolate2890, it is possible to use LayeredFS to swap the game file from Undertale installed on your Switch with other games made with Game Maker Studio.

Mario Flashback explains that this is possible because there are two ways a developer can test their Game Maker Studio game. The first, VM, stores all the game data in a single file to send to an interpreter, and allows the developer to test their game instantly. The other, YYC, compiles the whole game into an executable (with the source code no longer accessible) that can be launched directly. This isn't ideal for testing, since compilation takes a few minutes.

Undertale on the Switch uses VM mode which means that the entire game is in one file. This means we can swap the game file with another game made in Game Maker Studio that is being tested in VM mode.

You can read the initial report here, or the discussion thread here which lists the compatibility of different games. There is also a tutorial here.

NES Online app hacked to add more games

The NES Online app allows you to play a small library of NES games, as a feature included with current Nintendo Online subscriptions.
    Twitter user Kapu looked into the app and found that it was a port of the NES Mini, meaning that it was quite easy to add extra games into, just like the mini console.

No tutorials have surfaced yet but user @nitr077 has made a tool to help with adding games.

Discussion thread here.

Team Qcean

Team Qcean's Discord server was nuked this morning by a bot. The admin responsible for allowing the bot in is unknown. The server is up and running again with plenty of themes re-added.

It has been discovered how to make themes that work in 6.0, but each theme produced will be created for a specific firmware version, so please check what you are downloading before you install it. An issue where random crashes on boot occurred has been fixed as well.

New homebrew roundup

DZ: Network NSP Installer & Titlekey Dumper by @blawar: This handy tool allows you to send NSP files over the network, using FTP, to your Switch where the app will install it. It is based on Tinfoil and has a lovely UI reminiscent of actual official Switch applications.
    ss.

Doom 3 by @fgsfds: This guy is on fire with his ports - having a homebrew in this column every week since the beginning. Will he be able to keep it up? This is a port of dhewm3, which uses the original GPL-licensed source code from Doom 3. It has many improvements over the original game - bugfixes, widescreen support, EAX4.0 sound, and support for 64bit operating systems. The Switch port makes use of hardware rendering (OpenGL).
    doom3.

Bermuda Syndrome by @usineur0: Another port by @usineur0: will this be a porting contest to the death with @fgsfds?? This port is based on the work of Gregory Montoir, who reverse-engineered the game engine to provide source code for anyone wishing to port the game to other devices.
    bermuda_switch2.

SysNetCheat GUI by @mleeneg: This is a GUI, written in C#, for SysNetCheat. SysNetCheat, originally created by @jakibaki, is an application allowing editing of in-game content over WiFi.

Sayonara!

This marks the end of this little Switch Hax Weekly, be sure to join us again next week! And as always, please don't hesitate to send in any rumours, news, homebrew updates, etc.

Last week's issue.

Discussion (12 replies)
  1. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Thx for the roundup.
    These days it seems more than ever that the Switch is getting a port of every possible game ever made either officially or by someone porting an open source version. I won't complain if this continues. :)

2. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    So if don't update your console you risk getting banned.

3. Quantumcat
    OP

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Only if using your own cert for freeShop or CDNSP

hurrz, MushGuy and alexbrarjohn like this.
  4. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Yay, my thread got somewhat front paged without any of the actual benefits of getting front paged.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Huh neato, I didnt know that was what was causing the cdn bans with cdnsp and freeshop. Thanks again for these articles @Quantumcat keep up the good work :)

6. NativeCode

NativeCode Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    Good read, especially the part "New banning scare".

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    A BOT NUKED A DISCORD SERVER! :wtf:

8. hurrz

hurrz GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    hurrz is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hello again, I really enjoy your weeklies @Quantumcat although I don't even got a switch (yet?).

Maybe you could add the link of former weeklies to the end of each weekly thread but that would be a minor suggestion.

Even if there is not that many news about the 3DS anymore, can we look forward to having a 3DS Hax Weekly Issue or maybe a tiny rubrique inside of this one (also at the end, haha)? I don't even know if this is requested or even wanted by others in this beautiful community.

I don't want to be bashed for these suggestions. It's just that I've been out of the whole 3DS hacking thing for a while and recently updated my consoles to the latest Luma.

Cheers :-)

Last edited by hurrz, Oct 2, 2018
  9. Dontwait00

Dontwait00 Unknown

Sep 3, 2017
    Italy
    happends nowdays! the bots are evolving in 2018 :toot:

10. Quantumcat
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I've issued a correction to the banning scare section

11. Quantumcat
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I added a link to the last issue at the end, and I'll be happy to include 3DS news with the next issue :)

Technicmaster0 and hurrz like this.
  12. hurrz

hurrz GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    hurrz is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 17, 2017
    Gambia, The
    You're simply great! Thanks a lot!

Quantumcat likes this.