Switch game pricing Dilemma

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bowl0l, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Bowl0l
    OP

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    The Switch is both a portable and home console.
    How does Nintendo plan to explain to parents that their portable games are now $60 versus the 3DS $40?
    Parents will be shocked to see that Pokemon is now $60.

Edited:
    I mean now Switch has introduced a new category, one hardware that plays handheld game and gaming on TV.

1. Every publisher will be tempted to choose to price their games $60 because they need more effort to release games playable in mobile mode and big screen mode.
    If their multiplat games look pixelated in the big screen, why bother paying $60?
    If their multiplat games has slowdown, look worse in mobile mode and shorten the battery life, why bother buying a Switch version of games?
    If it's not mandatory for games to have big screen mode and mobile mode, why bother buying Switch version of games at $60?
    2. Nintendo will probably not price any of their games lower than $60 since Switch is a new category, which is a hybrid.

Last edited by Bowl0l, Dec 21, 2016
  2. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Only if games normally on the handhelds goes up. Pokemon may still just be $40. Games for handheld games and console games will probably just remain the same.

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, the price probably depends if it's a home title, or a portable title.

4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    There won't really be much of a difference though once it comes out. A lot of portable games can be long as console games. There isn't really a quality difference either.

5. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    I expect the switch version of Pokemon to be $40 but it will be the last time. After that the games will change to the modern graphics and price model. No DLC I hope.

6. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Aren't games like $80-90 now?

/cries in a moccasin

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yeah, but knowing Nintendo, they could make games that are geared towards being on-the-go, vs games focused on sitting at home.

8. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Depends on where you live. But a lot of new games in Canada are $70-80.

9. Bowl0l
    OP

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    But the Switch is a console that has a big screen mode and mobile mode.

If we get games that is exclusive to one mode, it will contradict Switch marketing message.
    But I'm not surprised if Nintendo will not enforce this since developing games are taking more time.

I'm sceptical that a game will look the same when it has a limit in power consumption.
    Pokemon already have dlc although it's free (event only legendary Pokemon downloads, items)

Jayro likes this.
  10. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I've been thinking about Hyrule Warriors, which released on Wii U for $60, then on 3DS a little more than a year later for $40 that included all previous Wii U DLC (free of charge?) and additional content. For as much as newly released Wii U titles typical sell for $60, the Switch will likely have the far greater number of software sales with dual releases, so it could be the deciding factor with regard to software pricing for both platforms, or could simply be cheaper from the get-go to entice people to "make the Switch".

In all honesty, Wii U is dead (and for many, has been dead for quite a while), so Nintendo could just drop the price (physical and digital) of all their games for it to match the price the Switch will set for its games, allowing one last (weak) hurrah for the system as the newer system takes the reigns.

11. Bowl0l
    OP

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    In Malaysia, WiiU games starts from USD $60.
    I hope Nintendo will lead by example, make their games playable for otg and sitting at home because that's the Switch selling point.
    Nintendo already practice it. They call it Nintendo Select.

12. KingVamp

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I never said it didn't. Using the PSTV or psp as example, just because you can play handheld games on the TV, doesn't mean they will go up in price.

That said, even if Nintendo started out with that enforcement, down the line, I can see devs breaking it anyway. Not guaranteed, but exceptions tend to happen.
    Remakes and enhanced releases happen all the time already. What may happen, a dev might make a game for the handhelds first, but decide to releases again as console remake and you may have to pay for upgrade. Not the full price.

For example. A game comes out for the handhelds for $40, but then a console version comes out later on for $60. You would only have to pay $20 for a upgrade. If not free (maybe if you bought all the dlc), of course. :P

Last edited by KingVamp, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Bowl0l
    OP

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Sony's PS Vita TV shouldn't be used as an example because it was send out to die. Sony has an established home console, the PS3 and then immediately after Vita TV launch, the PS4. No one will even look at Vita's exclusive games when next gen is around the corner. The higher asking price for Vita games that can be played using two different Vita hardware variation (not everyone have both Vita and Vita TV) will reduce any sales it can have.

I have no argument for PSP game prices. I can only assume that PS2 player base size is more attractive to focus on developing games.

Switch is the only console that Nintendo is selling. They can choose $60 as standard price because for now Switch is Nintendo's only console.

Last edited by Bowl0l, Dec 21, 2016
  14. KingVamp

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    "Choose" doesn't mean they will. Can't see Pokemon going for the full $60 price tag, especially with the two version model. I just don't believe that games or at least most games normally on handhelds with no home console counterpart (Bravely Default as an example) will suddenly shoot up in price just due to them being able to be played on TV. If so, wouldn't stay that price for long. Not every game have to use the full power of the Switch. Not every dev have or want to use the budget to do so.

We'll see.

15. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Not unlock key DLC, you knew I meant expansion packs. Real DLC. Like How Sm4sh got Mewtwo, that was an add-on.

16. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    I can't see Nintendo selling Breath of the Wild for less than $60.

elBenyo likes this.
  17. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I can't see myself not buying BotW because it is over $60.

18. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    What do you think that Windwaker HD was $49.99 USD?

19. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    I think ± 50€

20. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    There will be a range of pricing for Switch. Older AAAs and ports will be around $40, new AAA games will be $60, games primarily targeted at Switch as portable will probably be $40, then you've got indies anywhere from $10 - $40.

Not to mention the prevalence of digital downloads these days and their various prices depending on sales/publisher/the waxing of the crescent moon.

KingVamp likes this.