GBAtemp Exclusive Switch Exchange #4: Everything

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Scarlet, Feb 17, 2019.

Front-page GBAtemp Exclusive
    gbatemp_switch_exchange_banner.
    Welcome to the fourth entry of Switch Exchange: the series where myself and Chary are, surprising to both of us, still yet to burden each other with the darkness hiding in the depths of the eShop. If you missed Chary's thoughts on Donut County last week, I encourage you to check them out here!

Chary Says...
    What do you get for a person that has everything on the Switch? Well, you get them Everything, for the Switch. Bordering on downright bizarre and curiously intriguing is this weird little game. Though my interest was piqued by it, I've never gotten around to actually trying it, instead only watching snippets of gameplay and wondering to myself, what exactly was I seeing? For this week, I've given Scarlet the task of playing Everything.

It's official: I've played Everything on the Switch. Now that poorly-executed joke is out of the way, let's get into what goes into a game about being anything and everything. After entering your name, you begin life as a thing in blackness. You wander around for a while until for reasons beyond my understanding, you become a bison. Slowly but surely, the world begins to open up, giving you more options to gather a herd of your currently controlled being, create more things, or just commandeer another thing. That's pretty much it gameplay-wise. I'm glad this isn't any kind of formal review because quite honestly, I'd be stumped just trying to explain which part of this mass of things appeals to me, because something in there really struck a chord.

2019021521222600-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57.
    2019021521245700-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57. 2019021521304700-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57. 2019021521443200-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57. 2019021523123600-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57.

What I've said so far is to look at the game on the surface level, and if you're looking for a wonderful and fulfilling gameplay experience, I don't think anything beyond this point will do much to sell you on such a bizarre idea. The charm of Everything is in doing nothing. Yeah you have your exploration, and you can move between things, get your crew, and venture through time and space, but it's hard to deny it gets samey after a while. The game has settings for it to play itself as if aware of this fact, letting you get on with other things and appreciate what's happening in passing. When you glance back at your screen, you'll see a world of colour filled with creatures and objects moving in weird and wonderful ways; you'll see the thoughts you're yet to think about things you never thought to think about. It's a wild mishmash of madness that forces you to reevaluate your place in the world.

2019021521581400-6E9C6C8B0878851B45FBE32219E62E57.
    What stood out to me in particular was the narrated thoughts you come across from time to time, drawing your attention back to the game if left on autoplay. You hear the voice of Alan Watts, a British philosopher of the 20th century. He presents ideas on how we interpret ourselves and the world, framing things in a new light. It's motivational and uplifting whilst simultaneously forcing you to think and rethink. Everything is a journey more than it is a game, and it's one I'm glad to have taken. For £11.69, I feel I got adequate value, but I can say with certainty not everybody will feel the same. If you're after a small-scale grand adventure of philosophy and thought however, this isn't a game to be slept on.

Do you think Everything is a game for you, or just another glorified walking simulator? Have you played it and have thoughts of your own? Let us know what you think!

:arrow: US eShop Link / UK eShop Link

You can also find Everything on PC and PS4.

Costello, splymb, Issac and 1 other person like this.
    Discussion (8 replies)
  1. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's official 蒸気イーブイ

pip Contributor
    Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Shinjuku Station
    Oh, I remember seeing a let's play of this one a while ago!
    It's a weird game, sure, but it sure knows how to be original and entertaining in its own way :P

Scarlet likes this.
  2. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I am curious on your opinions on the music. The soundtrack was released on a record label that I'm friends/acquainted with, by an artist that regularly release his music there too.

3. Scarlet
    OP

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    To me it was unmemorable, but I mean that in a positive way. It's relaxing and fits the general theme of background music well. Sound criticism really isn't a strong point of mine so I can only apologise for not being able to say much beyond that, but it is incredibly fitting of the game's tone and overall vibe.

4. Vhestal

Vhestal Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2019
    Philippines
    Betwix the Twilight
    Will definitely try this one out, it has that caressing emptiness feel to it, any insights regarding the soundtrack?

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Well, you’ve sold me on the idea. Time to check it out for myself!

I’m still endlessly amused by being able to say I told you to play everything on the Switch.

Scarlet likes this.
  6. Scarlet
    OP

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    And it isn't even the most demanding thing you've asked me to do smh

(also nice 6667th post, i'm glad it was spent here ;O; )

Chary likes this.
  7. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    god damn it the potential for puns is unlimited with this one!
    great read, nice work Scarlet and Chary :yayswitch:

Chary and Scarlet like this.
  8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Vinny should play this, he loves walking simulators.
    I myself enjoy watching them, but I think playing them myself would get boring.

Something whatever likes this.