Hacking Swiss keeps giving me an error

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to the gamecube scene and have recently got a Datel SD Media Launcher.

My gamecube is untouched (clean).

I am using a 2gb microsd in datel's adapter to boot Swiss and to access an 8GB Class 10 PQI SHDC using a SD Gecko (wiikey clone).

I booted snes9xGx just fine and tried that out.

My problem is when I boot GC games on Swiss.
(ISOs seem to work, GCMs don't).

I have only tried Zelda Wind Waker so far, it seems to work great but sometimes I get the:

There has been an error, shut off your gamecube

message when walking through a door.

I always get that error message at boot if I try to boot a pre-patcher-r17 patched .gcm or if I stop the DVD Motor.

I have tried it in compatibility mode and fast mode.

Am I missing something here?

Questions:

1. Is this the best Swiss can offer at this point?

2. Should I try out SD-Boot v0.4 Final?

3. Could it have to do with me using a wavebird controller?

4. Is it way better on the wii?
(I also plan to try this out on the wii when I have time, a guide would be awesome.)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You might want to visit this forum:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/index.php...824b5ce478eec34
There's much more info about Swiss available than here.

Anyways about your problems:
These read errors could be related to some error in Swiss, some speed problem with your sd card or the .iso might not be defragmented(which is just a must) or something unknown(like the controller...). Well i thought the latest revision has a check for fragmentation, but i'm not sure. The error if you stop the motor is normal, lots of games don't like it and it will take a while until it's improved to work for more games. Then Wind Waker is one of the games that does not need the prepatcher and wouldn't gain anything by it. And for now you need to always repatch your .isos with the latest prepatcher(from a clean .iso!) when/if it's updated, if you use an old patcher and the latest Swiss, you can expect it to not work.

And for running Swiss on Wii, you might want to check these:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=371
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=404
(they require a compatbile cMIOS to be installed, like the one from here:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test)

Oh and it won't work better on Wii, at least i wouldn't expect it to, chances are it gets worse on wii.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually of the games I have tried the compatability is about the same. I can't say right off hand but yeah Swiss is a limited software right now. It has a promissing future but for now it's nowhere near what you need for a good reliable backup solution.

LufianGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't patch .isos, it only allows you to patch .gcms I think.

How can I tell if the .iso is clean?

I think I need to wait for the software to get better.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's no difference between .iso and .gcm, if an app doesn't allow you to do something with one of them, just rename the file. And to get a clean .iso, just dump your games with CleanRip.

Edit: Sorry, you are a gamecube user, right? I don't know which tool for gamecube creates clean rips.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were a few decent rippers I can think of as fopr telling if they are untouched or not you need to first look at the size. a standard non scrubbed ISO should be 1.35 GB in size. If it's any other size it's been edited ect. Prepatching isn't required for most titles. if they don't boot and it says pre patching might be required then try it. If they still don't work it's likely not supported.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.