Strag0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, So I have modded and played with too many Wiis that aren't my own. So now I feel that it's time for me to get one. However, with the whole cut pin scare and new DVD chips out there I fear my chances on getting a moddable Wii from retailers would be slim to none (leaning more towards the none side). But, I've lucked out that few of my friends have Wiis and have zero want to mod them. So if I were to aquire a Wii I feel that I could just swap machines with them and start from square one with a launch machine.

But since I've never owned a Wii I'm really unsure what all would be at stake for a friend to swap out with me. As in, aside from them gaining a new machine and losing their old machine what kind of settings and / or saved things would they be losing if I were to swap out with them? Are most things able to be backuped or Am I "SOL"?

I'm sure I can just buy the elusive Wiip chip that states it will be able to work on all models and hope that I don't get one with the pins cut (I really really don't want to dremel down the chip).

I apperciate it!

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as they don't have any virtual console games downloaded, everything can be backed up, except for the game log history, which really isn't that important.
Give 'em a couple of extra bucks as incentive
wink.gif

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the optical drive isn't "keyed" to the motherboard like microsoft's machine. all you need to do is open up both and swap out the dvd drive and mod your [new] one, and replace your old one in their system. this doesn't impact any vc games or settings that your friend already had on his wii system.

plus swapping just the drive is a *whole* lot easier than attempting to swap out all of the guts. trust me, I've done the case replacement and you're looking at another 15 or so screws to release the motherboard from the other half of the shell.
blink.gif

Strag0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As long as they don't have any virtual console games downloaded, everything can be backed up, except for the game log history, which really isn't that important.
Give 'em a couple of extra bucks as incentive
wink.gif

Aye! I was thinking I would throw in some cash. I sure hope they don't have any VC games. Though, I won't know until next month. Best to ask when I've got the Wii in hand! Thanks for the swift reply!

Strag0

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the optical drive isn't "keyed" to the motherboard like microsoft's machine. all you need to do is open up both and swap out the dvd drive and mod your [new] one, and replace your old one in their system. this doesn't impact any vc games or settings that your friend already had on his wii system.

plus swapping just the drive is a *whole* lot easier than attempting to swap out all of the guts. trust me, I've done the case replacement and you're looking at another 15 or so screws to release the motherboard from the other half of the shell.
blink.gif

I figured I could so something like that, however I'm not too sure how cool they would be if I were to open up the machine and void their warrenty. =D though I'll ask, but my first question would be "Care to swap Wiis?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.