PS1/2 Swap magic

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Swap Magic for my PS2 needs and it works great. Note, however, that DVD9 games will NOT work with it. The games need to be rebuilt using a ripkit or in some cases, can be downloaded pre-fixed. You'll also need a swap method to switch your boot disc out and replace it with the burned game without the PS2 recognizing that they drive was ejected (old PS2) or the lid opened (slim PS2).

Edit: Also, never ordered from that site, so I can't say how their service is. What kind of PS2 do you have?

Edit number two: Just noticed the order is bundled with the corresponding tool depending on your version of PS2. In that case, GO FOR IT!

Third and final edit: I'm pretty sure (not entirely) that v3.8 is the same as 3.6 but includes a built in Action Replay Max for using codes. I noticed the 3.6 is a few bucks cheaper so if you're not a cheater you can go ahead and grab that version.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some people have said the 3.8 Coder has less compatibilty, but I have one and there isn't any game so far (outside of DVD9 games) that won't work.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some people have said the 3.8 Coder has less compatibilty, but I have one and there isn't any game so far (outside of DVD9 games) that won't work.

I've got a 3.6 myself. As an aside, how is the integrity of your disc? After a few months (I've had my disc for about a year and a half) the middle of the disc is starting to crack and split. It still boots fine, but it makes me angry that every time I take care of something, it starts to break.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna post a thread about something with swapmagic but i will just post it here.

What do I look for when downloading games that are pre-fixed and ready to burn without doing all that extra stuff to the iso first before burning? Are they called pre-fixed?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you dont need to do anything to the iso for them to work
unsure.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
most of the time though, some games are bigger then the swapmagic disc itself and thus will boot but hang on a loadscreen
frown.gif

i remember fifa 07 for example.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna post a thread about something with swapmagic but i will just post it here.

What do I look for when downloading games that are pre-fixed and ready to burn without doing all that extra stuff to the iso first before burning? Are they called pre-fixed?

Well, I coined pre-fixed for the sake of having a word. Usually descriptions and such should be available and you'll know because only DVD9 dual layer games need to be rebuilt for a single layer disc that'll work with Swap Magic. Any single layer game will just work without needing to be rebuilt except for those ones that lenselijer mentioned that have a bigger TOC than the Swap Magic disc itself.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I meant those games that have bigger TOC. I ask because I just recieved my swapmagic and I downloaded Ratchet And Clank 3 just so I can try out the SwapMagic when I got it. Apparently this is one of the games with a larger TOC and from my understanding, I have to make a dummy file and unpack the ISO and put the dummy file in it and all this other stuff. So I want to avoid downloading these kind of games because I hate to go through the trouble of doing all that stuff. So when downloading games, how do I know which ones to avoid? Is there a list of games somewhere were I can see which ones have a larger TOC and which ones I can just burn and play?

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a list of games somewhere were I can see which ones have a larger TOC and which ones I can just burn and play?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PS2 TOC List

Its no where near complete, but its a good indicator.
If you have a problem with a game and you think the TOC is too large you might be able to rebuild the disc.
I did this with 24: The Game, it went from roughly 6GB to roughly 3GB. I didn't need to downsample anything.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 TOC List

Its no where near complete, but its a good indicator.
If you have a problem with a game and you think the TOC is too large you might be able to rebuild the disc.
I did this with 24: The Game, it went from roughly 6GB to roughly 3GB. I didn't need to downsample anything.

Thank you.

Also do you have a tutorial on how to rebuild a disc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: This one is pretty epic.