Supercard DSTWO SDK ready for developers!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I have just received an e-mail from Romman, sales manager of the Supercard Team, letting me know that they have finished developing the Supercard DSTWO SDK*. He also informs me that the SDK will be available on demand for developers who require it (they will also receive a free DSTWO sample!), instead of going completely public. He hopes that by opening the card to 3rd party applications, the 360 MHz CPU could be better exploited to run emulators and homebrew such as the ones found on the PSP (who said PS1 emulation?). Here is the full message below:

Supercard Team said:
I am glad to tell you that the DSTWO SDK beta version is ready now. Actually, this is the first time SC team makes a SDK, so there must be a lot of bugs, so SC team do not wish to release the first version of SDK in public. The SC team wants to contact some developers directly, and send them the SDK and a free DSTWO. The developers can use the SDK to develop homebrew on the DSTWO, and can help the SC team to complete and make the SDK better, easier to use. The SC team promise they will release the SDK to the public when it is better and easier to use.
Actually, the DSTWO has a 360Mhz powerful CPU on board. The PSP CPU highest frequency is 333Mhz. So, in theory, all emulators running on PSP can be ported to the DSTWO with this SDK, which means SNES, GBA, GBC, MAME, PCE etc. all might run on the DS. At last, as you know, PSP can run PS1 games, maybe there could be a small chance to run PS1 games on your DS. Is it a dream or not, it is up to you homebrew developers! We need you, all DS owners need you, genius homebrew programmers. It is time to go beyond DS now.
--------------------
Developer requirement:
1. You should have experience in making homebrew on the DS, it's better if you already developed homebrew.
2. The developer should know how to program in C or C++ (SDK language).
3. Understanding the bugs in the SDK would help to make it better.
4. You will promise not release the SDK without the SC team agreement.
5. Please write an email to [email protected] with the subject: "It's time to go beyond DS¡" if you are interested
Many thanks to the SC team for opening their card to third parties as promised, and giving away SCDSTWO's to developers sounds even more generous. Some might say that they are 'lame' for having to rely on homebrew developers to provide optimal emulators and applications, some might be completely delighted by imagining what the community could come up with. What about you, what do you think? Is the cup half-full or half-empty?

moogle.gif
SDK: a Software Development Kit is a set of development tools (libraries, functions, utilities...) that helps developers make the most of the hardware. Without SDK, programmers cannot fully utilize the SCDSTWO's onboard CPU and other features specific to the card. Only a few card manufacturers generally provide a SDK for their card, but this often results in awesome developments from the community. The best example would be AKAIO for the Acekard 2i.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, technically, if one were to fake that he/she were a homebrew developer, he/she could just get a free DSTWO, no? Or does the SC team require some sort of proof that you have experience (perhaps show off one of your projects and prove that you are the true author)?

Anyhow, this is still great news and I hope that a great many homebrew developers will make use of this (so that the DS homebrew scene could at long last be more lively again).

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
SignZ said:
Will we see SCAIO soon?
biggrin.gif

Great news, now many many many "improved" homebrews may come.
We said that about the iPlayer SDK, all we got was an emulator that was ripped and is the USP of the SCDS2.
Still, Team SC is better heard of, and there are probably more SCDS2's out there, and I'm sure that the free SCDS2 with SDK is an offer that a lot of devs will be interested in.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds good, at least Nintendo can't say anything about homebrewing lawlz!

Although I'm curious, how will DSTWO SDK be beneficial? I mean I'm no homebrewer so I someone to explain to me in detail.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ellie said:
So, technically, if one were to fake that he/she were a homebrew developer, he/she could just get a free DSTWO, no? Or does the SC team require some sort of proof that you have experience (perhaps show off one of your projects and prove that you are the true author)?

Anyhow, this is still great news and I hope that a great many homebrew developers will make use of this (so that the DS homebrew scene could at long last be more lively again).
Do you seriously think they would give you a SCDS2 without some proof in someway shape or form?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
Sounds good, at least Nintendo can't say anything about homebrewing lawlz!

Although I'm curious, how will DSTWO SDK be beneficial? I mean I'm no homebrewer so I someone to explain to me in detail.

the DSTwo SDK will allow homebrew coders to use the extra RAM and processor in the DSTwo cart to creat more powerful software than can be run on the DS by itself, such as the GBA emulator available for the DSTwo.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Canonbeat234 said:
Read the OP please. It allows homebrew developers to use the CPU intergrated in the DSTWO.
Edit: spinal_cord beat me to et...

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Ellie said:
Chaosruler said:
How many seconds are left til Normmatt claims a free Supercard DSTwo with a SDK privately released?
Normmatt isn't God, you know...
closedeyes.gif
Are you sure? it can be God communicating with us through the internet
tongue.gif

Oh wait, yeah, people sending God a EZ 3in1\ewin samples in order to let AKAIO support it doesn't make sense xP

tuddy666

Trophies
XP
Country
Ellie said:
They'll be approaching developers like Alekmaul, Flubba and Normmatt (and a few other developers they've mentioned in passing with release announcements and similar) and asking them to develop DSTwo compatible homebrew in exchange for a free DSTwo and the SDK. A "regular" developer, however, can just email them and get the SDK Download link, but will need to provide their own DSTwo.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BoxShot said:
Ellie said:

Do you seriously think they would give you a SCDS2 without some proof in someway shape or form?

No, but you never know, that's why I asked.

tuddy666 said:
QUOTE(Ellie @ Jul 30 2010, 10:32 AM)
They'll be approaching developers like Alekmaul, Flubba and Normmatt (and a few other developers they've mentioned in passing with release announcements and similar) and asking them to develop DSTwo compatible homebrew in exchange for a free DSTwo and the SDK. A "regular" developer, however, can just email them and get the SDK Download link, but will need to provide their own DSTwo.
Ah, I see now, thanks for explaining
smile.gif

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mbmax said:
Why do this SDK stay private ?
Is there a reason ? Copyrighted stuff inside ?
Is it that hard to just read the full post? Sorry, I'm in rage a mood...
QUOTEso there must be a lot of bugs, so SC team do not wish to release the first version of SDK in public

tuddy666

Trophies
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
Why do this SDK stay private ?
Is there a reason ? Copyrighted stuff inside ?
The SDK itself is still a beta, but it's a semi-open beta: you can get it if you email the supercard team and ask for it; but they're obviously waiting until they deem the SDK to be complete for a 100% public release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e