United States
PtfcSVM.png

Oh lawdy. I hope not.

El Xando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty good at Smash, I just don't see the point in taking away parts of the game until it's a shell of its former self.

Competitive shits have Melee, if you want competitive Smash go play Melee and keep your cancer away from new games. Everyone else enjoyed the shit out of Brawl. I want more Brawl.

Dude just... seriously.

All Smash games have a competitive and non-competitive sides. Hence For Fun and For Glory in the new one. Calling the competitive scene "cancer" is just making you look like an absolute twat.

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dude just... seriously.

All Smash games have a competitive and non-competitive sides. Hence For Fun and For Glory in the new one. Calling the competitive scene "cancer" is just making you look like an absolute twat.
You're right, but let's not bring ourselves to insult each other or this threads gonna end up locked too ;_;

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
FULL CHARACTER ROSTER:

Confirmed by a Twitch user:
RosterSSB_3DS.jpg

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Yoshi
  6. Rosalina & Luma
  7. Bowser Jr.
  8. Wario
  9. Mr. Game & Watch
  10. Donkey Kong
  11. Diddy Kong
  12. Link
  13. Zelda
  14. Sheik
  15. Ganondorf
  16. Toon Link
  17. Samus
  18. Zero Suit Samus
  19. Pit
  20. Palutena
  21. Marth
  22. Ike
  23. Robin
  24. Kirby
  25. King Dedede
  26. Meta Knight
  27. Little Mac
  28. Fox
  29. Hawk
  30. Pikachu
  31. Charizard
  32. Lucario
  33. Jigglypuff
  34. Greninja
  35. Duck Hunt Dog
  36. ROB
  37. Ness
  38. Captain Falcon
  39. Villager
  40. Olimar
  41. Wii Fit Trainer
  42. Dr. Mario
  43. Dark Pit
  44. Lucina
  45. Shulk
  46. Pac-Man
  47. Mega Man
  48. Sonic
  49. Mii Fighter

almost 50 characters!? my wallet is ready

Sorox

Master Firo Soul
Trophies
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Really my point is the competitive is cancer for taking away the fun. If you can't enjoy SSB unless it's "competitive" then you're playing the wrong game. Go play Street Fighter.
I have a friend who thinks like that. Refuses to get new smash because she'll need to either buy a wii u or play on "a crappy little screen with garbage controls". We took her to a smash turney once, and afterwards she told us she didnt have any fun because she just rekt everyone. THAT's what I believe people mean. She cant have any fun unless she plays with people on her level.

YamiWheeler

Trophies
XP
Country
Really my point is the competitive is cancer for taking away the fun. If you can't enjoy SSB unless it's "competitive" then you're playing the wrong game. Go play Street Fighter.
You evidently can't understand the POV that some people find competitive play fun.

Who are you to tell people how to play the game they spent their money on, anyway?

El Xando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Throwing around the word cancer is just stupid. You're stupid.

There are tons of people, myself included, who enjoy competitive smash over casual smash. I still enjoy playing in big groups with items on, but competitive is the most fun as it's more about skill.

And Smash is just much more appealing that street fighter in a couple ways, mainly the controls. Leaning the moves in games like that (i.e hold X, do a half circle with an analog stick, then press Y and B at the same time) takes a lot of time. In Smash Bros, you just need to learn every characters B moves, which doesn't take long.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend who thinks like that. Refuses to get new smash because she'll need to either buy a wii u or play on "a crappy little screen with garbage controls". We took her to a smash turney once, and afterwards she told us she didnt have any fun because she just rekt everyone. THAT's what I believe people mean. She cant have any fun unless she plays with people on her level.

As is the case with every game, but if you take hours to learn wavedashing and stupid glitches and exploits to make a game "competitive" then you're kinda taking the fun out of it.

Competitive players want to subtract from the game until there's nothing left but "competition". Can't use stages other than Final Destination or maybe Battlefield because they're "too large" or "too random". Can't use items because they're "too luck based". Can't use most of the characters because they're either "too broken" or "too shit".

Noncompetitive players want to add. New stages because they're fun. New items because they're fun. New characters because they're fun.

By making Smash competitive you take away what's unique about it and try to make it like a fighting game which it's not designed to be. It's a party game.

schmooblidon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Almost all competitive players were once casual players. They fell in love with the concept of the game, and that passion lead them to discover the incredible amount of depth within. Now they love the game for two reasons.

Reactions: crabsmack

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not really, you have a choice of playing the game however you want. As for competition taking away the fun, that is how you see it. I, and many others, enjoy playing competitive smash with all the rules involved. However, u make a point about people not enjoying the game unless competitive rules is involved, as I have seen it from many players. But again, I think people should enjoy the game however they see fit.

xroflmaowtfx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Competitive player of 7 years here. I've been playing competitively since I was 14.

The point of competitive gaming isn't to ruin the fun. The point is to TAKE SOMETHING fun and see how far you can push it.

If we didn't have a blast playing this game, why would we pour so much time, effort, sweat, tears, and travel expenses into it ? Would you ever say that a competitive soccer player takes the fun out of soccer? We still play with items, free for alls, wonky stages, etc for fun when we want to, but honestly, to me, the competitive side of it is SOOOOO MUCH MORE FUN and SOOOOOO MUCH MORE REWARDING.

Personally, I have never had a video game experience that is half as fun as competitive Smash. It's almost a bad thing, because most games just don't do it for me anymore. Single player games that I used to love (and still do enjoy) feel a little empty because they just don't feel as deep, exciting, dynamic, and interactive. No other game makes me feel like I have this much control.

I *CAN* enjoy SSB, competitive AND casual style.

Also, competitive SSB is way more fun than competitive Street Fighter. I honestly think the Smash engine is innately superior (in terms of fun and control)to traditional fighting game engines.
Your friend is NOTHING like any competitive Smashers I know. We're all looking forward to the 3DS version. Won't be completely serious about it, but definitely buying 3DSes just for that purchase.

As is the case with every game, but if you take hours to learn wavedashing and stupid glitches and exploits to make a game "competitive" then you're kinda taking the fun out of it.

How....? We're just learning more options. We're ADDING to what we can do in the game, which, to us, makes the game more enjoyable. Whenever we practice wavedashing and other techs, we're learning more about the game, figuring out what we can do with it and how far we can go with things.

If YOU loved a game, wouldn't you spend a lot of time trying to explore it?

Competitive players want to subtract from the game until there's nothing left but "competition". Can't use stages other than Final Destination or maybe Battlefield because they're "too large" or "too random". Can't use items because they're "too luck based". Can't use most of the characters because they're either "too broken" or "too shit".

Noncompetitive players want to add. New stages because they're fun. New items because they're fun. New characters because they're fun.

We only take away items/other stages in competitive settings because.... they detract from what we're trying to test and display. There's nothing wrong with playing with them on, but we believe that this is the best way to achieve a balanced setting FOR COMPETITIVE PLAY. We aren't trying to set a standard for play univerally, but only when the goal is to test "skill"

ALSO, the thing about "cant use most characters" is absolutely false. There are literally ZERO banned characters. Meta Knight was banned for a short stint in Brawl, but that was for a very short time, and it's viewed as a mistake.

The only point of the tier list is to rank the characters. Some characters are going to be better than others, so why not make a list? Nobody forces you to play a certain character. People just prefer to play better characters. And it's not just a matter of selling out, but the truth is, better characters are a LOT MORE FUN. They can do more things, have more options, and are usually just more fun to use. Lower tier characters are less fun because there are many situations where they are just screwed because they lack sufficient tools to deal with certain things.

We still enjoy items and new stages when pride and money aren't on the line. Like everyone else, we know how to play free for alls with items on over some drinks :P

By making Smash competitive you take away what's unique about it and try to make it like a fighting game which it's not designed to be. It's a party game.

We really couldn't care less about the designer's intent. However, when you make Smash competitive, you're not TAKING AWAY from the party game aspect, you are only ADDING to it. Competitive Smashers can enjoy it as a party game AND a fighting game, because, tbh, it's one of the very best fighting games in existence, despite its party game roots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended