Super Mario Party to have limited online multiplayer mode

As revealed during Nintendo's Treehouse E3 event, the upcoming Super Mario Party for Switch will actually have online multiplayer, just in a very limited capacity. You won't be able to play full board game matches with others online, but you can choose a new feature called Online Mario-thon, where you get 5 randomly selected minigames to play to see who can win the most. Leaderboards were also briefly mentioned, with more details promised at a later date. This is a step towards this franchise incorporating online play for the first time, but it's been confirmed that Mario=thon will be the only online mode in the game. Super Mario Party launches on October 5.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about on-line support for gaming as it only serves to keep people holed up in their rooms and apart from one another.

Bring back the arcades and LAN parties, that was where the fun was at! Besides, you can't pass a joint over a network, and so what is the fun in that?!

Besides, gaming in person, especially in the case of the arcade, managed to bring people together from all walks of life. People preach their diversity bull shit today, but yesterday we practiced it and we didn't even have to try as our mutual passions opened those doors automatically.

Last edited by XDel,
Reactions: Kioku
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let's think about this. A Mario Party game can take some while. Meanwhile, multiplayer games typically focus on keeping a group together for 15 or so minutes before having a "rest" period wherein people can drop in/drop out. Why? Because it's very likely that a lot of people will drop matches if they're forced to be in a game for a long period of time. Now imagine you're playing Mario Party online and one player drops mid-match. What happens? Does a CPU take over? If so, how difficult should it be? It ruins the flow of the game. Just look at online board games like Monopoly and how poorly the game reacts to the frequency in which people drop.

Here's the cold truth... Mario Party does not take well to being an online game playable with just anyone. A totally-online Mario Party would not be a fun experience given how long Mario Party games can be and the higher rate of randos dropping that will likely come with that. Rather, they should let you play full online MP games with friends. You and your buddies can plan out a game and since it'll be between friends, people aren't likely to drop randomly and screw up the game for everyone.

I think there is potential for Nintendo to add a pared-down version of a standard Mario Party board for random online play, and I think they'd do well to expand with more game modes optimized for online play. And playing full online MP matches with friends needs to be a thing. But I think Nintendo's at least made the right call not opening up full MP matches to be played with just anyone, not in their current incarnation at least.

Reactions: Xzi

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
When there are people who rage-quit for getting hit first in online fighters, of course a long Mario Party session online is not going to go over well with strangers. If they could make it to where you could play full rounds with friends, then that would be fine (given that they implement a swap to CPU if a person has to leave, as well as allowing another people to take a CPU's spot if they request).

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played mario party online over netplay with friends before and it's always gone very smoothly (usually play mario party 3 or 4) and pretty fun when we have voice chat enabled on discord, would be pretty nice if they added full board online play in super mario party as well. Also there's no reason to omit an online mode because of the presence of disconnects, just include a penalty system for disconnecting, it's already implemented in splatoon 2 and sm4sh where repeated disconnects bars you from playing online from 5 minutes, to an hour, then for a day, then a week, or even a month of online play suspension for that game (it probably goes higher than that too, there was once a glitch that banned someone for 136 years in sm4sh lol)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, let's think about this. A Mario Party game can take some while. Meanwhile, multiplayer games typically focus on keeping a group together for 15 or so minutes before having a "rest" period wherein people can drop in/drop out. Why? Because it's very likely that a lot of people will drop matches if they're forced to be in a game for a long period of time. Now imagine you're playing Mario Party online and one player drops mid-match. What happens? Does a CPU take over? If so, how difficult should it be? It ruins the flow of the game. Just look at online board games like Monopoly and how poorly the game reacts to the frequency in which people drop.

Here's the cold truth... Mario Party does not take well to being an online game playable with just anyone. A totally-online Mario Party would not be a fun experience given how long Mario Party games can be and the higher rate of randos dropping that will likely come with that. Rather, they should let you play full online MP games with friends. You and your buddies can plan out a game and since it'll be between friends, people aren't likely to drop randomly and screw up the game for everyone.

I think there is potential for Nintendo to add a pared-down version of a standard Mario Party board for random online play, and I think they'd do well to expand with more game modes optimized for online play. And playing full online MP matches with friends needs to be a thing. But I think Nintendo's at least made the right call not opening up full MP matches to be played with just anyone, not in their current incarnation at least.

While not quite as odd as people proclaiming dungeon crawlers as a mouse only game I do find the "mario party is not suited for online" idea not terribly far removed from that.

Replacement CPU level? It is easy enough to determine the skill of a player over a few rounds (most objectives are simple to measure accuracy, speed, timing and such for and fake with an AI). Set AI accordingly. No break in flow at all if you do even a vaguely good job.
Alternatively if the objective is to keep it fun then maybe try giving people the chance to win (dragging back first place, boosting last place...)
If you are actually getting a bit radical then mid match lobby/matching could be implemented -- depending upon how many people you imagine are online you could probably assure there being a group with similar stats at that point in the game. Bit of rubber banding to invisibly force match things for the respective AIs in each instance and then new human players appear in game seamlessly.

Equally there are any number of multiplayer games that might have short instanced matches but are built for the long haul -- very few games like battlefield, team fortress and so on and so on have truly long form matches by default. Do you imagine for a moment that the devs don't know that people kill entire evenings or know the median number of matches they play before signing off?
Going further then just because a lot of games are built for the short haul does not mean you should not attempt the long form ones. It is that kind of thinking that gets us "single player games are dead" type mindsets.

Obviously you would want to see friend/clan/whatever type setups ported to it. It is in no way an excuse to not at least attempt to do conventional online random matchmaking.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about on-line support for gaming as it only serves to keep people holed up in their rooms and apart from one another.

Bring back the arcades and LAN parties, that was where the fun was at! Besides, you can't pass a joint over a network, and so what is the fun in that?!

Besides, gaming in person, especially in the case of the arcade, managed to bring people together from all walks of life. People preach their diversity bull shit today, but yesterday we practiced it and we didn't even have to try as our mutual passions opened those doors automatically.

I applaud you. Being the light of reason in this fog of doubt.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As revealed during Nintendo's Treehouse E3 event, the upcoming Super Mario Party for Switch will actually have online multiplayer, just in a very limited capacity. You won't be able to play full board game matches with others online, but you can choose a new feature called Online Mario-thon, where you get 5 randomly selected minigames to play to see who can win the most. Leaderboards were also briefly mentioned, with more details promised at a later date. This is a step towards this franchise incorporating online play for the first time, but it's been confirmed that Mario=thon will be the only online mode in the game. Super Mario Party launches on October 5.

I dont really care seeing that I always played games like this with IRL friends

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I'd be paying for online service just to continue playing Splatoon 2. Maybe it would be a better idea to just shelve the game completely and move on.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt there would be a lot of Randoms who will sit through a whole board game match if they're losing. I actually see this as a good approach, but it should really be an option for the players. I see pros on both sides.

wodkamen420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laaaaaaaaame couch co-op is dumb not every1 can meetup to sit around and play games its fkn 2018 fur fucks sake if theres local play on a game there should be net play as well no ? people have friends all over the world not just sitting around town with them what a waste of a game great job nintendo you rock cancel that

D

Deleted User

Nintendo are still in the stone age of gaming, sticking to pirated mario party 4 netplay

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States

I get the sentiment, but I happen to be much closer with people online than just about anybody in physical proximity. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of others in a similar situation as well, and forgoing online functionality exclusively for LAN and local multiplayer would just end up meaning that those particular people simply won't be playing multiplayer at all rather than bringing people together. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily arguing that there isn't anything to having people in the same room playing together, just that Mario Party isn't about to make me buy a plane ticket every time I get the urge to play multiplayer.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
While not quite as odd as people proclaiming dungeon crawlers as a mouse only game I do find the "mario party is not suited for online" idea not terribly far removed from that.

Replacement CPU level? It is easy enough to determine the skill of a player over a few rounds (most objectives are simple to measure accuracy, speed, timing and such for and fake with an AI). Set AI accordingly. No break in flow at all if you do even a vaguely good job.
Alternatively if the objective is to keep it fun then maybe try giving people the chance to win (dragging back first place, boosting last place...)
If you are actually getting a bit radical then mid match lobby/matching could be implemented -- depending upon how many people you imagine are online you could probably assure there being a group with similar stats at that point in the game. Bit of rubber banding to invisibly force match things for the respective AIs in each instance and then new human players appear in game seamlessly.

Equally there are any number of multiplayer games that might have short instanced matches but are built for the long haul -- very few games like battlefield, team fortress and so on and so on have truly long form matches by default. Do you imagine for a moment that the devs don't know that people kill entire evenings or know the median number of matches they play before signing off?
Going further then just because a lot of games are built for the short haul does not mean you should not attempt the long form ones. It is that kind of thinking that gets us "single player games are dead" type mindsets.

Obviously you would want to see friend/clan/whatever type setups ported to it but to find. It is in no way an excuse to not at least attempt to do conventional online random matchmaking.
AI is not a suitable replacement for real players and would cause a noticeable change in the game. A really good AI can mitigate this, perhaps even greatly, but AI cannot react in the ways a human player can and does, and it can therefore be upsetting for the remaining human players.

Mid-match lobbying or some form of drop in/drop out would be even more horrendous on ruining game flow for existing players. Mario Party is not a kind of game where players can just be transferred in seamlessly. Are we to assume players choose to drop into an existing match? Who would choose to do that? Wouldn't all players wish to start a brand new game from scratch instead of inheriting someone else's progress?

Next, long-form games. There's multiple ways to approach a long-formed game. To see a good example, look at Battlefield. That game is very much drop in/drop out to little consequence with very long times per match. Mario Party is not designed to be drop in/drop out. Further, you seem to assume I'm somehow against long-formed games. Spoiler alert: I'm not. But long-formed games that are meant to be played online must be designed with that in mind. You cannot simply take the existing Mario Party formula and just throw it online, that would be patently bad game design. If they made appropriate changes to better fit the game for online play, now that's a different story.

I also don't see how you correlate saying the existing MP formula is not suited to online play with strangers with saying single player games are dead.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the sentiment, but I happen to be much closer with people online than just about anybody in physical proximity. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of others in a similar situation as well, and forgoing online functionality exclusively for LAN and local multiplayer would just end up meaning that those particular people simply won't be playing multiplayer at all rather than bringing people together. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily arguing that there isn't anything to having people in the same room playing together, just that Mario Party isn't about to make me buy a plane ticket every time I get the urge to play multiplayer.

Valid point. It's hard sometimes to find locals with mutual interests, and it is from this that my sentiment emerges as I didn't have this problem back in the day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @DolphinCube, no problem ^_^