MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I fire up Super Mario Bros in nesDS, I can only play level 0 (the messed level which is a combination of an underwater level with a castle). Once I complete level 0, I get sent back to the title screen.

Does anyone else have this issue?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a bad dump of the game that doesn't initialize some register correctly, and so NES DS is actually emulating it correctly by sending you to the wrong place.

Either get a good dump of the game or simply hold A while you press Start as a workaround.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Got it, bad dump of the ROM... but wait.
I have heard about there being a secret "level 0" on any SMB1 NES cart. However, I will hunt down another dump of the game. What do you mean by hold A while pressing Start, Dan? Do you mean at the title screen? Just tried that and I got to level 0-1 as usual.

EDIT: Got a new dump from a different location and everything is working now.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're thinking of the "minus world" which is World -1 and is a different area than the one you got to. Look it up on Youtube for videos on how to get to the minus world.

When I said hold A, I meant the NES's A button, which is by default mapped to the DS's B button. If you were holding the DS's A button, it was doing turbo-fire on the NES's A button so it's not surprising that when you pressed Start it still failed. And yes, I meant at the SMB title screen.

MacMilitant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, he's not talking about the Minus world, he's actually talking about a world 0-1. The same thing happened with the ROM I downloaded for SMB.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot that didn't read the whole post
smile.gif

drexegar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
When I fire up Super Mario Bros in nesDS, I can only play level 0 (the messed level which is a combination of an underwater level with a castle). Once I complete level 0, I get sent back to the title screen.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Holding down the A button while pressing start will solve the problem.

Why does this work?
In super mario bros. There is a continue code. When you lose all your lives in a world for example world 4-2, you can continue in the beginning of the world by holding the A button at the title screen. So if you hold A button while starting the game it will force you to start at 1-1.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyonre know what rom directory wat name is it called to put ur nes roms i couldnj t find any instructions on what the directory is supposed to be called?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no specific folder, as it presents you with a file browser where you choose the location of the .nes file yourself. If you don't see a file listing when you boot NES DS, something is wrong.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Wherever the hell you want. The official version just defaults to the root directory, and you can navigate to wherever you've decided to put them. There is a tweaked build by kyleroberson with some key combinations for important features like saving which allows you to select your own default directory: link.

EDIT: Hah, I suck, I left this topic open for about an hour before actually posting, so Dan here beat me to it. My mistake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.