Super Mario Bros

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Skyline969, Feb 20, 2009.

Feb 20, 2009

Super Mario Bros by Skyline969 at 9:06 PM (1,368 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Skyline969
    OP

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    When I fire up Super Mario Bros in nesDS, I can only play level 0 (the messed level which is a combination of an underwater level with a castle). Once I complete level 0, I get sent back to the title screen.

Does anyone else have this issue?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You have a bad dump of the game that doesn't initialize some register correctly, and so NES DS is actually emulating it correctly by sending you to the wrong place.

Either get a good dump of the game or simply hold A while you press Start as a workaround.

3. Skyline969
    OP

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Got it, bad dump of the ROM... but wait.
    I have heard about there being a secret "level 0" on any SMB1 NES cart. However, I will hunt down another dump of the game. What do you mean by hold A while pressing Start, Dan? Do you mean at the title screen? Just tried that and I got to level 0-1 as usual.

EDIT: Got a new dump from a different location and everything is working now.

4. DanTheManMS

United States
    You're thinking of the "minus world" which is World -1 and is a different area than the one you got to. Look it up on Youtube for videos on how to get to the minus world.

When I said hold A, I meant the NES's A button, which is by default mapped to the DS's B button. If you were holding the DS's A button, it was doing turbo-fire on the NES's A button so it's not surprising that when you pressed Start it still failed. And yes, I meant at the SMB title screen.

5. MacMilitant

Newcomer MacMilitant Member

Canada
    No, he's not talking about the Minus world, he's actually talking about a world 0-1. The same thing happened with the ROM I downloaded for SMB.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot that didn't read the whole post [​IMG]

6. drexegar

Newcomer drexegar Newbie

United States

Holding down the A button while pressing start will solve the problem.

Why does this work?
    In super mario bros. There is a continue code. When you lose all your lives in a world for example world 4-2, you can continue in the beginning of the world by holding the A button at the title screen. So if you hold A button while starting the game it will force you to start at 1-1.

7. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Holding a works to play most rom hacks that load to 0-1

8. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    does anyonre know what rom directory wat name is it called to put ur nes roms i couldnj t find any instructions on what the directory is supposed to be called?

9. DanTheManMS

United States
    There is no specific folder, as it presents you with a file browser where you choose the location of the .nes file yourself. If you don't see a file listing when you boot NES DS, something is wrong.

10. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Wherever the hell you want. The official version just defaults to the root directory, and you can navigate to wherever you've decided to put them. There is a tweaked build by kyleroberson with some key combinations for important features like saving which allows you to select your own default directory: link.

EDIT: Hah, I suck, I left this topic open for about an hour before actually posting, so Dan here beat me to it. My mistake.