Do you want a 3D World follow up ?

• Total voters

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think it will be a sad day for the gaming industry when games are churned out in a certain style because they're quick/cheap to make. I know Telltale do this with the lego series and they've all but lost their identity because if you've played one, you've pretty much played them all. The only time that differed was when they made Lego City Undercover. I am not sure I understand what you mean with a 2D-style mario in 3D. That is kind of what New Super Mario Bros is if I am understanding you correctly. I heavily doubt they would ever remake their 2D Mario games in the same style, because the fans love them how they are. What I would like is a Mario version of Sonic Generarions. Something happens in the story and Mario has got to visit all his old games, this would allow for them to do levels in all of the various art styles they've used so far. It would be great.
I mean, Super Mario 3D Land/World are basically 2D Mario on a 3D plane. Very linear, all you do is reach the goal on the opposite end.

Reactions: IC_

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah but 3dland had an excuse that is was a 3d mario game on a very weak handheld, on wiiu they could easily have made something bigger and better and smg series if they want to, they werent using a 300mhz cpu on wiiu to do sm3dw.
If they did SM64 on the DS, they can make something good on the 3DS

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they did SM64 on the DS, they can make something good on the 3DS
what i meant is 3dland is aceptable for 3ds, 3dw was very crappy for wiiu considering we already had nsmbu right on lunch, no need to make a 3d version of it yet again on the same console.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thread is about a sequel to SM3DW, not a port.

Agreed. But I think some sort of 2D-style 3D mario in the same vein as 3D Land and World is inevitable. They sell very well and are much quicker/cheaper to make than open world 3D Marios.
yes I'm hoping for a sequel because one of the main things I love about sm3dw is the multiplayer. I want them take that to a new level not just port the wii u game. My concern is that the switch is not as unique as the wii u in that regard due to it not having 2 screens. Just look at Rayman Legends, the multiplayer it's definitely better on the wiiu because of the gamepad. also because of the gamepad and the abundance of wiimotes and pro controllers you had many 4+ player games locally. I don't see that happening on the switch. I mean how many switch owners actually own more than 2 sets of joycons? I'd say very few so the development of 4+ players games is going to be limited.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd certainly like another 3d mario game with 4 player local. Still holding off on buying a switch for a *new* 4 player local game.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I misread.

I would LOVE a sequal to SM3DW simply because of the local co-op. However I think adding either another competitive edge to the co-op would be great as it become a bit redundant at the end.

Maybe design levels in mind that two people will be running about on them? Thats the unique selling point I see in 3D World over Odyssey et al.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
We'll probably get both, in some form or other. I feel like both styles of 3D Mario are here to stay.
I can at least expect another 2D Mario game. NSMB Switch or something along those lines. Or maybe just a port of Mario Maker. Little more iffy about another SM3DW line of games being developed concurrently with other kinds of 3D Mario games. Imagine if they made a Super Mario Maker 3D! Levels could be designed like SM3DW levels. That'd be hella cool.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no both SM3DW and NSMBU were garbage. odyssey is what mario need to be in full 3d world exploring. keep your 2d/2.5d shit mario games on the 3ds where they belong. it's full 3d environments for the switch all the way baby.
Please explain what 2.5d is, and how SM3DW didn't have 3d environments. I'm only guessing that you're saying that some platforms sections in SM3DW only allowed movement in two directions. That can be said about certain sections of Galaxy, Oddesy, and SM64.

Last edited by Obveron,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yes I'm hoping for a sequel because one of the main things I love about sm3dw is the multiplayer. I want them take that to a new level not just port the wii u game. My concern is that the switch is not as unique as the wii u in that regard due to it not having 2 screens. Just look at Rayman Legends, the multiplayer it's definitely better on the wiiu because of the gamepad. also because of the gamepad and the abundance of wiimotes and pro controllers you had many 4+ player games locally. I don't see that happening on the switch. I mean how many switch owners actually own more than 2 sets of joycons? I'd say very few so the development of 4+ players games is going to be limited.
But you can play 4 players with only 2 sets of JoyCons. Huge advantage right there.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean, Super Mario 3D Land/World are basically 2D Mario on a 3D plane. Very linear, all you do is reach the goal on the opposite end.

3D Land used the 3D to effect in it's level design. Some levels were isometric, some took advantage of the 3D to hide secrets in the background.. it was a lot different to 3D World which as I've already stated was basically just 3D by name. Mario 64 was 3D, as was Sunshine, as was Galaxy only 3D World was the first to use 3D in the title because of well... marketing hype. It was nearer to the 2D Marios as you've mentioned.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont hate me on this but I enjoyed playing through 3D world more than I enjoyed playing through Galaxy 2. 3D world was super fun either when playing solo or with friend/family. God the music was so good too, (I love you so much Double Cherry Pass), I'd love a sequel on the switch. If we just get a port I probably wont buy it because I already have it on the wii u and I still have it hooked up so I dont need a second copy but I'd still be down to play with a friend if they buy it and want me to play with them on their switch because it really is a great game for me. I also loved the difficulty in the later special worlds, we had entire worlds full of difficult levels which I enjoyed a lot, and like I really need some more difficult mario games, Galaxy 2 was extremely easy which is probably why it felt like such a chore to play through, odyssey was fun but again also easy, really the only moon that gave me difficulty was that picture matching one where you have to recreate marios face a second time in the mushroom kingdom.... and thats honestly really sad that a platforming game doesn't have any challenging platforming missions lol. So yeah I'm all for a 3d world sequel, a port would be eh but I won't be against it.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont hate me on this but I enjoyed playing through 3D world more than I enjoyed playing through Galaxy 2. 3D world was super fun either when playing solo or with friend/family. God the music was so good too, (I love you so much Double Cherry Pass), I'd love a sequel on the switch. If we just get a port I probably wont buy it because I already have it on the wii u and I still have it hooked up so I dont need a second copy but I'd still be down to play with a friend if they buy it and want me to play with them on their switch because it really is a great game for me. I also loved the difficulty in the later special worlds, we had entire worlds full of difficult levels which I enjoyed a lot, and like I really need some more difficult mario games, Galaxy 2 was extremely easy which is probably why it felt like such a chore to play through, odyssey was fun but again also easy, really the only moon that gave me difficulty was that picture matching one where you have to recreate marios face a second time in the mushroom kingdom.... and thats honestly really sad that a platforming game doesn't have any challenging platforming missions lol. So yeah I'm all for a 3d world sequel, a port would be eh but I won't be against it.
well said. I would really like another 3d multiplayer mario and maybe even expand the roster and ablities.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I havent been bothered to find a good controller for emulating Sunshine so a Sunshine Port/HD Remake would be good (Also I have no good hardware for emulating 3D games). Also Galaxy Port/Remake. Maybe a new 2D Mario because you can never have enough of those!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1