Super Mario 3D World Excludes Online Multiplayer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what kind of FPS you play online, but all of them suffer from lag.

At points no doubt but enough people can do it enough of the time for it to be worthwhile. Similarly ping mitigation techniques are probably about a thousand times easier than with mario platformer style games (most games do not have random enemies and have fairly predictable player movement to say nothing of the ability to easily toss in an AI player when the need arises).

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another great game ruined by Nintendo's online phobia. Who's played the demo? Did it seem like it would be anywhere near as fun with one player? I'd play this online even with lag. Let's at least have leaderboards, and Metroid Blast needs to be online, too.
Have you ever actually played them in multiplayer?
The games quickly turn into a mess with everyone attempting to do their own thing.
Going by the demo, this game will be far less chaotic. If you steal someone's powerup you can release it by pressing (-), plus there's way more breathing room than in the 2D games.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another great game ruined by Nintendo's online phobia. Who's played the demo? Did it seem like it would be anywhere near as fun with one player? I'd play this online even with lag. Let's at least have leaderboards, and Metroid Blast needs to be online, too.

Going by the demo, this game will be far less chaotic. If you steal someone's powerup you can release it by pressing (-), plus there's way more breathing room than in the 2D games.

....It doesn't have online, so the game is ruined. Yeah, you're not a crybaby at all.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....It doesn't have online, so the game is ruined. Yeah, you're not a crybaby at all.
Lol, it's still an insta-buy.
Perhaps 'ruined' was too strong a word, but If you played the demo, you know how fun multiplayer is. Plus the way the player's scores are compared at the end of a level is perfect for online leaderboards. You may disagree, but I feel NintendoLand would have been another Wii Sports-like hit for Nintendo if it had online multiplayer.
NintendoLand score::yayu::yayu::yayu::unsure:
NintendoLand score if it had online multiplayer: :yayu::yayu::yayu::yayu::yayu:

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One thing that doesn't makes me too worry about this game not having online multiplayer is that Nintendo seems to have really looked intro that matter, and then, decided not to go with it.

Some of the last Mario Games had a glance on the multiplayer possibilities already (with the NSMB2 and Luigi's Mansion for example), and from the Developer's Direct Video for Super Mario 3D World, you can see that their main focus was enabling a good multiplayer experience (what indicates that they thought about the multiplayer possibilities well enough).
After all that, I find it difficult to believe that online multiplayer would be scrapped only cause of laziness

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
With everyone complaining about the lack of online multiplayer, how many games have been made this last decade that have online multiplayer, but lack local multiplayer?

Sometimes I just want to hang with my friends in the same room, rather than having to do that online. That's not to say I don't want "both" options. I just think with everyone focus on the lack of online multiplayer, they're ignoring how many games lack local multiplayer.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The only thing that bums me out about this game is that its Wii U only. Other than that it looks great.

Why's that a bad thing? The Wii U is their newest system and it's in dire need of games. It's about time it got games.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Not a huge fan of 3D Land, really. it was a good game, very much fun but kinda by the numbers. Similar to this here but this one adds offline multiplayer so that's gona be great! Still wish we would go more SM64 and less SMB3 :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With everyone complaining about the lack of online multiplayer, how many games have been made this last decade that have online multiplayer, but lack local multiplayer?

Sometimes I just want to hang with my friends in the same room, rather than having to do that online. That's not to say I don't want "both" options. I just think with everyone focus on the lack of online multiplayer, they're ignoring how many games lack local multiplayer.

Just because a lot of games do the flipside doesn't make this decision any better, if anything it makes it just as shitty since it's the same principle: excluding a feature of a game for no real reason that doesn't hamper the rest of the game.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
I honestly cannot see why people are making a fuss about this, apart from the usual Nintendo bashing. The inclusion of a local multiplayer option in a 3D platforming Mario is a major step forward in my opinion.

I believe this game's multiplayer mode is all about the social aspect and I have some REAL friends and family, not some voices in headsets. Its NOT the same thing at all.

I think it is quite sad some people cannot tell the difference between getting together with friends and playing a game online.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
because you would not be able to punch your friend in the face after they killed you on purpose for the 5th time

or yell at them to pop up the bubble when you are waiting to come back while they are running the whole level alone

Voice Chat ? ahh already ninja'd .

I don't care whether it has or hasn't , however the trine2 online MP was kinda fun, not exactly the same kinda game, but you had dicks stealing all the glory and also people willing to work as a team, that's the same shit across most online games.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is quite sad some people cannot tell the difference between getting together with friends and playing a game online.

Because God knows that they're completely mutually exclusive, right?

I don't get this line of thinking. The whole point of online interaction is that it can bring people together no matter how far apart they are. One of my best friends is currently living in the hotbox of a state known as Arizona. Online gaming means that we can still experience games together despite the huge distance between us. How is that any less legitimate? How is that not real? How is that bad?

I swear, for internet users, there seems to be a shit ton of luddites here.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly cannot see why people are making a fuss about this, apart from the usual Nintendo bashing. The inclusion of a local multiplayer option in a 3D platforming Mario is a major step forward in my opinion.

I believe this game's multiplayer mode is all about the social aspect and I have some REAL friends and family, not some voices in headsets. Its NOT the same thing at all.

But it's not the inclusion of local multiplayer or the fact that it's multiplayer platforming that's annoying people, that's always welcome, it's not having local AND online multiplayer.

I have plenty of friends but like... I'm an adult. We're busy people. Between work and college, we don't always have the time to get together in the same room and have fun. That being said we can still have fun online, and while the experience isn't as good as local, it's an option and it still works.

It's also just horrendously shitty to say "Well it's your fault for not being able to get people in the same room" because any fucking adult would know that the issue isn't them, the issue is being a busy person.

EDIT: I'm in general getting really sick of the "blame everyone else" attitude around Nintendo's issues. Nintendo doesn't include a basic feature that would enhance the game, well you shouldn't complain because it's YOUR fault that you can't get people to play with in the same room. Third parties aren't supporting the Wii U, well THEY suck for not supporting a low performing system that'll only give terrible returns at its current state. Like seriously you can fucking blame Nintendo for their missteps, if anything it'll help improve them as a company.

Reactions: tronic307

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Not only this but the problem with online platforming games is lag, in Mario Kart players living far away or players with bad connections resulted in the karts glitching a bit and not getting hit at times. Sometimes players fall off ledges and instantly gets back on the track due to having lost connection for a millisecond or something.
However with a platformer lag plays a much bigger role due to the precision involved when interacting with the world and player 2 while both systems are trying to calculate player positions and other outcome.
The syncing would have to be seamless for the two games to decide and agree what to do in some situations as there are so many possible glitches that can happen if data packets are delayed.

I would like someone to point out a game that accomplishes this, has there been any online 3d platforming games that actually worked in the past? Most online games out there work with a little bit of lag because there's stuff that makes up for it and disturb the game outcome that much. To my knowledge the only practical way of doing online is to have the other players show up as a ghosts, like time trial ghosts, there being no way of interacting with those players and them interacting with stuff in your own stage, meaning that both games doesn't really have to sync flawlessly for it to work.

A way of making a multiplayer Mario online platformer work the way people expect is to have it within a single country and invest in insanely huuuge amounts of money on dedicated servers capable of doing the most important calculations from there instead of having the two systems synced. I don't see a reason to invest in that kind of research for a title like Mario 3D World where it isn't needed, this is a case where it would actually detract from the single player experience due to how much time and money it would cost. People expecting an online feature in their 3D platformers are like people expecting their Wii U to come with a toaster functionality. It's dumb.
No one has showed me an example of a good online multiplayer 3D platformer yet, anyone?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k