Super Mario 3D Land - Regaining What Was Lost

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Sep 13, 2011.

Sep 13, 2011
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Whatever you do, don't call Super Mario 3D Land a new 3D Mario game. Despite that being one of the key ideas behind this new adventure - that it is the first original, portable Mario game in 3D - Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto isn't attempting to make 3D Land like Super Mario 64.

It has been 15 years since Mario 64 was first released. Yet increasingly Miyamoto is more interested in reclaiming a 2D Mario era. In a recent discussion with company president Satoru Iwata, Miyamoto noted that old 2D Mario games didn't seem to confuse players. Goals and gameplay were more simple. The objectives - mostly squashing enemies and reaching a flag - were clearer. In a way, moving Mario into 3D created so much freedom that many didn't know what to do. Along this line of thinking, Miyamoto claims Super Mario 3D Land is a "3D Mario that plays like a 2D Mario game."

This notion is becoming more and more clear as Nintendo releases more footage. In fact many clips presented at today's conference feature 2D levels. There are still areas of 3D navigation, and routinely objects leap from the background to threaten the heroic plumber, but the game functions more along a linear "start-to-finish" line.

Miyamoto noted the name of the game, utilizing the "Land" branding from the Game Boy line of games, is an homage to the 2D era of Mario titles. Bringing back a power-up like the Tanooki suit is another attempt to make 3D Land feel like a more advanced version of previous titles. At its core, the title is intended to appeal to gamers looking for an experience similar to previous 2D titles.

"... In the end, there's always that flag pole," said Miyamoto, referencing the iconic goal featured in many 2D Mario titles. Miyamoto noted the game uses many ideas, but much like New Super Mario Bros., 3D Land will finish each level with the flag pole. This would be the first 3D Mario adventure to utilize that concept.

Just because there is an intent to make things clearer for more players doesn't mean Super Mario 3D Land will be easy. Miyamoto noted that while they intend to allow players to keep pushing through the game if they try, a more challenging nature will open up if players seek it out. "[The game] gets challenging if you're willing to try different things," Miyamoto said, agreeing with Iwata that the game almost dares players to accomplish tougher tasks.

The game's designers intend for players to reach the final (?) World 8 easily, with the difficulty rising dramatically after that point. Various levels also have secrets and shortcuts that require much more advanced skill to find. The game won't be as easy as previous 2D Mario games, however.

Miyamoto also hinted that the Tanooki suit may have some uses in tough situations. The tail swipe, which can be used to defeat many enemies, is designed to help less-skilled players. Naturally the game also has more suits that have yet to be revealed. One new suit seems to be briefly shown, which appears to feature Mario inside a box with a propeller.

Lastly, Miyamoto addressed the need for playing the game in 3D. He noted that generally Nintendo is not designing games to require the effect, yet there are some areas in 3D Land that definitely benefit from its use. In fact, some areas deliberately try to trick the player with the 3D effect.[/p]

Source

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI4PNG0lZo[/youtube]​

2. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    That's fucking awesome.

3. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The game looks amazing. Personally, I prefer linear games, but at the same time I don't like 2D side scrollers because they just seem to repetitive and limited.

Watching the gameplay of Super Mario 3D Land, you can easily tell how linear it is, and I'm loving this new style. Can't think of any games off the top of my head with this style.

4. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    yay the first 3d mario with tanooki suit (took ninty long enough.) yet another reason for me to get a 3ds appears

5. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Do

Fucking

Want

6. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    This sounds very interesting and I'm curious how this will turn out. Instant buy!

7. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    VERY

FUCKING

WANT......

....but I'm still going to wait for the relaunched 3DS.

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I can't wait for this game.

I love that they did this

9. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Me want!

Now, I need to start saving money, too much good game are coming >.

10. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Required 3D? You just alienated what I doubt is a minority within your customer base for this one, Nintendo.

11. thela_kid

Member thela_kid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Gah. I hate "point A to point B" games. (-.-)

12. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
  13. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Fuck yeah gimme this shit, mario kart, 3D VIDEO CAPTURE (3d video SHARING ?) and 3DS might just be worth the $250 afterall. Make me a believer nintendo

14. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    If you watch the trailer, there's a place with a button to show how blocks are really placed. That button is there so you can play in 2D, while you won't need it in 3D. I.e it means the 3D helps you, but is not required. They said that in the interview, but IGN "accidentally" decided to not mention that, but instead word-around-it to make it as unclear as possible.

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I really don't even see what was "lost" when Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel were the best Mario games ever made.

It doesn't look all too interesting to me honestly. Mario games are fun but I find myself with a disappointing hole in my pocket. I pay $40 for a game that doesn't seem to hold my attention past my first, short playthrough. Fun romps, but nothing lasting.

16. Wii_Manic

Member Wii_Manic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That looks freaking awesome!

There are finally starting to be some awesome looking games coming out soon for the 3DS.

This coupled with the price drop, should hopefully make the 3DS even more popular, Resulting in even more games [​IMG]

17. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Nice but it is almost like n64 starting over game.. They seem dont have new idea of brand new 3DS that wasnt found at all in any consoles. A little bit disappointment, really. I will play it but I dont have 3DS until I see many good 3DS games first. Money spending wise. Sighing.

18. 4-leaf-clover

Member 4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Netherlands
    Awesome it looks like a mix of Super mario Bros and and super mario 64

Can't wait, argh so many games coming out....

19. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Super Mario 3D Land is more linear than Super Mario 64. Think of Super Mario World with elements of Super Mario 64 added.

On-Topic: This game looks amazing. Definitely going to be a day 1 purchase for me, as well as Mario Kart 7.

20. SuperMarioMaster

Member SuperMarioMaster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If they're going to this with Super Mario 3D Land, my guess is that they're going to do the opposite with the next big Mario game for Wii U. ...Hopefully.