Super Mario 3D Land preview: New tricks

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CamulaHikari, Oct 8, 2011.

Oct 8, 2011
  1. CamulaHikari
    OP

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    [​IMG]

I imagine the pre-production on Super Mario 3D Land was some kind of Frankenstein experiment, where a group of developers in full-on white lab coats picked apart previous Super Mario titles for their choicest features to create Super Mario 3D Land. It's really an amalgamation of previous efforts, though it doesn't deter the game from establishing an identity of its own.

Throughout the first three worlds of the game, I noticed distinct hints of three different Super Mario titles: the exploration elements of Super Mario 64; the gigantic, floating worlds and shifting perspectives of Super Mario Galaxy; the core classic gameplay refined in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Together, they create a hodgepodge of experiences that change on the fly: One second I'm running down a huge hill, massive in size, with the camera straight behind me and the next I'm sliding down a pipe and the game shifts into classic 2D mode. The variety in level structure was very refreshing.

I consider myself to be a pretty proficient gamer, but Super Mario 3D Land has a pretty interesting feature for those who get stuck. If you lose five lives on any given level, the game will give you an invincible Tanooki suit -- think of it as having constant Star power while wearing the Tanooki suit. You can still fall to your death, so if you die ten times on a level, a special P Wing block emerges, allowing you to zip right to the end.

The game has some big, expansive environments and I immediately fell in love. The game looks great and flinging Mario off a cliff in a Tanooki suit, trying to gently descend from cloud to cloud, was an absolute blast. The scope of these levels, massive in size, on the 3DS was certainly unexpected. Running around, collecting coins, stomping Goombas (some with Tanooki tails themselves) and Koopa Troopas took a back seat to my inner Magellan as I combed every inch of these beautiful, sprawling locales.

I even fought Bowser, though it was less a fight and more an attack of avoidance. As I approached the bridge Bowser stood upon, he spewed fireballs continuously at me in an attempt to thwart me from afar. But once I approached him, it was a classic match of wits and agility, seen in the original Super Mario Bros. game. I deftly dodged his fireballs and ducked past him, hitting a switch that dropped him into the molten lava.

Overall, Super Mario 3D Land felt like a pleasant mixture of old and new.

:arrow: Source

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    How is this news? Last time I checked posting a preview of an upcoming game doesn't count.

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Thinking about it now, I concur. This isn't so much news as someone's take on the new features.

4. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    And last time I checked, a character being banned for tournaments within a game is news too. Deal with it.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Hearing somebody who played a game that isn't out yet describe what it was like... that gives us more info on the game itself.

6. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    15 deaths and you get to zip line to the finish, seems a bit too easy. They're just stripping the difficulty.

7. hakujintanuki

Member hakujintanuki GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    So don't use it!

8. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    I'm not an idiot, I'm just saying it's unnecessary.

9. Yatashi Strife

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There ya go! Someone gets it!

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Personally if I die 15 times in a single level, I can come to the conclusion that I'm not good enough to beat it myself at that time.

Unless we're talking about a game centered around a concept like that, such as VVVVVV...

11. GameWinner

Member GameWinner Take your heart

United States
    Judging from the previous trailer of the game, I may pick up a 3DS to buy it. It looked a lot like Galaxy.

12. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    The difference being that it was informing us of a decision made for a game, this is just a preview on a game outlining everything we already know.

13. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I think that 15 deaths is a fair game to skipping a level. Honestly, the majority of people that play Mario don't have the motivation to continue playing after dying multiple times (very much like those IWTBTG players).

Besides, what gives you fair right to protest? You're not gonna die 15+ times... Are you?

14. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    IWTBTG?

On what basis make you say that?

I just wish they put in things to make it harder.

Like idk make it where you have to hit a enemy more than once. i.e goombas

Immortal/invincible enemies or something. I guess boo counts there...

That said, I guess I'll play it first before completely judging difficulty.

15. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    I'm going to love this game.