Suicidal NES - Someone Please Help

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by TCJJ, Feb 1, 2012.

Feb 1, 2012
  1. TCJJ
    OP

Member TCJJ GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Okay, so I bought an NES that came with Super Mario Bros. 3. It worked fine. Then I put in my other game that I had (Excitebike) and it stopped working. So I bought a new 72-pin connector and got it working again, I cleaned all the cartridges this time and put the new connector in. Mario worked but looked glitchy. Then I tried Excitebike. It stopped the NES from working again.

I should add that the lockout chip was cut (I did it), but that was after the first time I tried it.

Someone please help me.

2. Maverick Lunar X
    This message by Maverick Lunar X has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  3. kthnxshwn
    This message by kthnxshwn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  4. AceWarhead
    This message by AceWarhead has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  5. DrOctapu
    This message by DrOctapu has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  6. kthnxshwn
    This message by kthnxshwn has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  7. Maverick Lunar X
    This message by Maverick Lunar X has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  8. dragon574444

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you clean the cartridge pins with alcohol and Q-tips yet? If not, do so. It helps tremendously.

9. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I don't think that the fact the NES died a violent death each time you tried Excitebike is without relevance, in fact I find it a bit suspicious. It's entirely possible that the cartridge is busted and shorts the console. The glitchy look of the Mario game after changing the connector appears to be pointing at bad solderwork or simply the cartridge did not slide in "right" - NES games like to go all funny when the pins are not alligned correctly.

As far as the lockout chip is concerned, I know for certain that the Excitebike cartridge does have the "key" to the lockout as it was designed for the model 1 NES which did indeed have it on-board, but if the console dies a violent death regardless of whether or not the chip is there then surely there's another issue there, somewhere.

First and foremost though, it'd be great if you checked the capacitors on the motherboard for any leaks - those usually "pop" first when a retro console shorts.

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Your NES is not working?
    Blow in the cartridge!
    Everyone know that :ph34r:

for real: I think Foxi is right.
    Maybe your cartridge has a physical/electrical component problem.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ammako
    This message by Ammako has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    Feb 1, 2012
  12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    If it was an electrical problem, switching the 72 pin connector wouldn't have fixed it.

It's not like a pin can blow up or get broken in anyway because of a short.

Looks like the cartridge has something on its pin that gets physically transported into the new connector when you try the cartridge in it, like dirt, acid or stuff.

tl;dr: Clean again the connector. With a q-tip and rubbing alchohol.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    If this fails, take pictures of the cartridge's connectors so we can take a look at it.

14. kthnxshwn
    Feb 1, 2012
  15. raulpica

Italy
    Here we go, I just had to trash half of the posts, since a single harmless joke had to derail an ENTIRE thread with discussions on facepalms, sarcasm and stuff.

1 person likes this.
  16. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Sorry for these insolent people, Raulpica. ;O;

I'd say stop trying to play Excitebike, 1. Raul is probably right. There is most likely crap in the carts slot dirtying up your system, messing with the 72 pin. I had a copy of Silver Surfer that did the same thing.

A useful tip-- NEVER leave a cart in the system. It wears on the thing more than you could imagine. Always take your games out, and clean them regularly. Its easier to clean your carts than to clean and replace your 72 pin, which collects the crap from mistreated carts.

17. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    This way I still have LOZ:Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Starfox64, Pokemon Stadium2, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (and others) in mint condition, and, I also use a toothbrush + alcohol to clean pin contacts.

Also, I'd absolutely love to learn how to repair cartridge copper pins with some conductive ink of some sort (so I can have my N64 carts forever, or just find a way to replace CIC chips + ROM onto a new cart)

18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    What's worrying is that the console no longer turns on - it may be a bit more complex then just "dust".

19. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    The very first thing I would check is the power supply.

Otherwise you said you replaced the cartridge connector, maybe you should check the connexion between your new part and the Nes motherboard (like any cartridge, try to clean the motherboard contacts, q-tip + alcohol if the q-tip comes out grey/black/brown bingo there was some corrosion).

Then I don't know if the Nes has some sort of internal fuse (like the snes) or not...

20. raulpica

Italy
    He said that is "not working anymore", that might just mean it's not loading anything. It'd be seriously funny if it didn't power up anymore.

If that was the case, there are only two pins that can cause a short, and you'd have to be REALLY unlucky for that to happen.

21. thiefb0ss

Member thiefb0ss GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    That's a myth. It's a temporary fix, but it can cause permanent damage.