Hacking Successful modded R4 with silver conductive pen?

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone had modded their 1st batch R4/M3 using a silver conductive pen instead of solder. It seems like drawing a connection point would be the easiest method, if it works.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only reason to mod something with the silver pen is for sleep mode. The max media launcher needed this to go into sleep mode. The R4 goes into sleep mode anyway so why would you need this?

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason to mod something with the silver pen is for sleep mode. The max media launcher needed this to go into sleep mode. The R4 goes into sleep mode anyway so why would you need this?
Mine is Chinese and I'd rather put the English firmware on it. I'm a little uneasy about guessing what to press randomly.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tested and works, instead of using silver pen try a graphite pencil

basicly you just draw a line over and over with a pencil (i used a lead pencil) some lead are more conductive then other, think softer ones are.

anyhow it does work fine since i just tested it how people used to overclock stuff just draw a line with a pencil (pencil mod). its good enough connection for R4 to accept it as bridged.

basicly just draw a line or a circle over the 2 pads on R4 until your satisfied, then blow on it to remove the graphite dust, and put it together and try.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tested and works, instead of using silver pen try a graphite pencil

basicly you just draw a line over and over with a pencil (i used a lead pencil) some lead are more conductive then other, think softer ones are.

anyhow it does work fine since i just tested it how people used to overclock stuff just draw a line with a pencil (pencil mod). its good enough connection for R4 to accept it as bridged.

basicly just draw a line or a circle over the 2 pads on R4 until your satisfied, then blow on it to remove the graphite dust, and put it together and try.
So any #2 HB pencil will work? Can you post a picture of your modded R4?

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea try any pencil i think most should work since my lead is the standard lead the lead pencil came with

and for the picture my M3 is modded with a switch to convert to M3 simply/ R4

but i desoldered it to test it and soldered it back, try it on your contacts it should work since it did for me but if you really want a picture i can desolder again and post it.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea try any pencil i think most should work since my lead is the standard lead the lead pencil came with

and for the picture my M3 is modded with a switch to convert to M3 simply/ R4

but i desoldered it to test it and soldered it back, try it on your contacts it should work since it did for me but if you really want a picture i can desolder again and post it.

That's ok; no need to undo your hard work!

I'm just not sure which pads to connect, and how thick a line to draw.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
for the language its the bottom pad, mine has extra pads since its the older version

for the amount of lead just cake on much as you want prob go over it 10+ times, then try it, if it doesnt work just use your pencil eraser to erase the lead make sure you blow on it to remove dust from the lead or eraser

r4.jpg

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty cool mod! M3 Simply - R4 via flick of a switch, so it seems. I'll give this a try when I find a screw driver small enough.

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm just get a solder iron and its a quick job
tongue.gif

I also don't get the R4-M3S switch...there is no reason to convert back and forth. R4 users don't need to do this at all unless you like the delayed M3 updates.

lanleague

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After trying the pencil method several times with several different pencils. I cannot get it to work. The language issue wasn't a problem until the cheats were released.

Now, I need it in English.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't get too happy. The R4->M3 conversion only happens for the first batch cards (first week or two of production)

ive been wanting to convert my m3 >r4 for some time and mine looks like Takrin's does in the pick so i figure it would be alright.

now what if its not from the first batch what does it look like and what could be the out come of modding it?

for all those that think im a m3 fan boy im not i bought the m3 cause it was instock and the same price as the R4 lol

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if its not first batch it will be missing some pads. also mine was a M3Simply so i switched to R4, had a switch so i installed it just in case one of the party ditched support.

and sorry the pencil doesnt work for you, anyone want to give it a try? swear it works for me with almost any lead i throw at it. also try to make it dark as mark as you can and do not touch that area after marking it so you dont smear/remove the graphite, just blow on it to remove extra dust.

heres a picture of what mine looks like. (Chinese > English without any problem)

M3Simply.jpg

M3 Simply language unbridged for chinese.

chinese.jpg

screen that asks for a chinese firmware

pencil.jpg

Pencil/Lead i used (2H BIC Velocity lead pencil 0.7)

graphite.jpg

What it looks like after drawing on the pcb to convert to english (bridged with graphite)

english.jpg

pencil modded

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: