Subbed or Dubbed?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by shlong, Nov 16, 2010.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Subs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 16, 2010

Subbed or Dubbed? by shlong at 1:25 PM (4,924 Views / 0 Likes) 78 replies

1. shlong
    OP

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    Been talking about it recently with various people.
    Simple, which do you prefer, and why?

2. VGP

Newcomer VGP Newbie

Bangladesh
    I've always preferred Dubs over Subs. Sure, some Dubs are bad, but I've seen more good than bad~! And not bashing on Subs either, I enjoy them.

3. hakusa

Member hakusa GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    Subs. I like Japanese and kinda love hearing the anime characters speak in the original language. It also holds the original tone, meaning, etc. I dislike dubs most of the time, and I don't like the way the VAs speak too...

4. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i don't care much for dubs. ive seen anime with subs on and english audio... sometimes they screwed it up bad. but i still prefer listening in the original language too

5. shlong
    OP

Italy
    This is pretty much exactly why I prefer subs. Quite often the VAs lose some of, or all of, the emotion, or don't deliver a line as well as in the original.

derp

6. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    i prefer subs cause the Jap. voices are awesome lol

7. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Subs, unless the dub is good. More often than not, this isn't the case for me.

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Don't actually watch much - but of the 2 I prefer Dubbed

Yes... Ok the voices are usually bad etc, but if Subbed - I seem to spend more time reading, then getting to watching the 'action'

9. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    I think you meant subs, but anyways this is pretty much the reason why i prefer subs. Also, in some anime's the dub version of the anime is sometimes more censored and over-all less enjoyable.

10. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    Subs~! I have a thing to keep things as original as possible~! :3

11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    9 times out of 10 I prefer the Subs.
    1. There are subs out WAY before there's dub.
    2. Certain things only work in japan and need a translator's note (see: Detective Conan)
    3. The dub can be just awful (see: Naruto)

One of the odd scenarios where the dub is best: Dragonball Z. Other than that, nothing's coming to mind.

12. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    There's one anime which I think is better dubbed than subbed, and that's Romeo x Juliet. In Japanese all the characters sound and appear like the typical Japanese anime archetypes rather than what they are supposed to be, which the dubbed version suceeds in presenting. So because it's supposed to be a remake of a Shakespearian tragedy they just doesn't fit and with it, the subbed version feels like watching another anime which doesn't have really anything to do with the original tragedy.

The English VA gives it the richness and elaborateness both in script and voices which I really enjoy, although the script isn't censored or anything, it just sounds much more natural and uses more adequate formulations which aren't possible so much in Japanese. And it actually tries to resemble the language of Shakespeare, unlike the subbed version which is a direct (almost word-for-word) translation, so that's why it's better in my opinion. The first episode illustrates the differences nicely if anyone would like to see them, like the part where the main characters meet for the first time.

13. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    Subs. I like hearing people talk the original language. Feels more natural. [​IMG]

14. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Subs because I like to be a weeaboo (and because it feels better listening to something I don't understand).

15. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    I'm a fast reader under normal circumstances, so subs feel more natural to me and it doesn't distract me or anything.

16. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Israel
    I like subs but I think dubs are necessary since that is what got me into anime in the first place.
    I watched DBZ dubbed and from there...just look at my list [​IMG]

But lately its been getting harder to find quality subs groups since a lot of new anime are being translated by Cruchyroll and they are equivalent of a speed sub group, meaning meh to HOLY-GOD-STOP-RAPING-THE-ENGLISH-LANGUAGE.

17. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    When it comes to Anime: Subs!! non-original voice actors are terrible most of the time!
    When it comes to movies and other cartoons and stuff: Subs, because that's what I'm used to.
    I know many places in the world dub english movies into french, german, italian and spanish etc. but in sweden that only happens to kid movies (disney movies for example, toy story, casper, alvin and the chipmunks). So I'm more used to subs.

Also to add a little spice to the discussion: I think it's horribly bad for some countries that they dub every movie! I think it's a great way of learning english (and other languages) when listening to it spoken, and reading the translation to it at the same time. it's a great exercise on its own.

18. shlong
    OP

Italy
    The only new anime that I'm going to watch dubbed in English is Eternal Diva [​IMG]

19. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    I used to be a big fan of dubs and didn't care for much else, but recently I've been turning more and more towards subs. They just sound so much better (in most cases).

20. Rubedo

Member Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

United States
    I prefer to watch a good dub to a sub, but it's just that there aren't that many really good dubs >_>