• Dubs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VGP

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I've always preferred Dubs over Subs. Sure, some Dubs are bad, but I've seen more good than bad~! And not bashing on Subs either, I enjoy them.

hakusa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Subs. I like Japanese and kinda love hearing the anime characters speak in the original language. It also holds the original tone, meaning, etc. I dislike dubs most of the time, and I don't like the way the VAs speak too...

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't care much for dubs. ive seen anime with subs on and english audio... sometimes they screwed it up bad. but i still prefer listening in the original language too

mameks

in memoriam of gravitas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hakusa said:
Subs. I like Japanese and kinda love hearing the anime characters speak in the original language. It also holds the original tone, meaning, etc. I dislike dubs most of the time, and I don't like the way the VAs speak too...
This is pretty much exactly why I prefer subs. Quite often the VAs lose some of, or all of, the emotion, or don't deliver a line as well as in the original.

derp

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
shlong said:
hakusa said:
This is pretty much exactly why I prefer dubs. Quite often the VAs lose some of, or all of, the emotion, or don't deliver a line as well as in the original.
I think you meant subs, but anyways this is pretty much the reason why i prefer subs. Also, in some anime's the dub version of the anime is sometimes more censored and over-all less enjoyable.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9 times out of 10 I prefer the Subs.
1. There are subs out WAY before there's dub.
2. Certain things only work in japan and need a translator's note (see: Detective Conan)
3. The dub can be just awful (see: Naruto)

One of the odd scenarios where the dub is best: Dragonball Z. Other than that, nothing's coming to mind.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's one anime which I think is better dubbed than subbed, and that's Romeo x Juliet. In Japanese all the characters sound and appear like the typical Japanese anime archetypes rather than what they are supposed to be, which the dubbed version suceeds in presenting. So because it's supposed to be a remake of a Shakespearian tragedy they just doesn't fit and with it, the subbed version feels like watching another anime which doesn't have really anything to do with the original tragedy.

The English VA gives it the richness and elaborateness both in script and voices which I really enjoy, although the script isn't censored or anything, it just sounds much more natural and uses more adequate formulations which aren't possible so much in Japanese. And it actually tries to resemble the language of Shakespeare, unlike the subbed version which is a direct (almost word-for-word) translation, so that's why it's better in my opinion. The first episode illustrates the differences nicely if anyone would like to see them, like the part where the main characters meet for the first time.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Subs. I like hearing people talk the original language. Feels more natural.
smile.gif

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I like subs but I think dubs are necessary since that is what got me into anime in the first place.
I watched DBZ dubbed and from there...just look at my list
tongue.gif

But lately its been getting harder to find quality subs groups since a lot of new anime are being translated by Cruchyroll and they are equivalent of a speed sub group, meaning meh to HOLY-GOD-STOP-RAPING-THE-ENGLISH-LANGUAGE.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
When it comes to Anime: Subs!! non-original voice actors are terrible most of the time!
When it comes to movies and other cartoons and stuff: Subs, because that's what I'm used to.
I know many places in the world dub english movies into french, german, italian and spanish etc. but in sweden that only happens to kid movies (disney movies for example, toy story, casper, alvin and the chipmunks). So I'm more used to subs.

Also to add a little spice to the discussion: I think it's horribly bad for some countries that they dub every movie! I think it's a great way of learning english (and other languages) when listening to it spoken, and reading the translation to it at the same time. it's a great exercise on its own.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be a big fan of dubs and didn't care for much else, but recently I've been turning more and more towards subs. They just sound so much better (in most cases).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn