Hacking Stuck on Switch boot logo after ChoiduJour Downgrade from a broken 8.1.0 to a clean 5.1.0

antoclass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

Earlier this week I accidently connected my switch to another network without the custom dns, the switch downloaded the 9.XX upgrade so I decided to backup my saves using checkpoint and restarted the console to erase the downloaded update like i used to do on earlier firmwares.

The switch would not boot up again I had the error 2101-0001.
_R-IXfFQ0_kDgp4Ne7NriVU8TehpH6oY34hC8EROa94mQeK2yuuUcW0wLdZprlEECytQ0dRzyy9xagoCgxwndeyxppSWbNl2nGNEtab8i2TFtpLIb9_CvQQB061F0Ibi1gK_f1p0EnSY4ZC7jmlrlIczP3r2rxsvFYli-cq0lzqyteCtXYPxBsHCFkgv5v0iqnX0QAaRK5sKtRcQBLrIOVi4vyCX2G0gKUQ3qMV5VpPTiHUUlS0Iwg6enCasKb3ZO7kP7RkTjb7SLjUpDpIL07l3xSSvgog7gb2Kc6FXrRJ2TtEOirRGGKW0I-YyZtpU2DRDRKbLITPKbBqis8RIBguOL2LXVZyr-N8ysSAPu_2ykLkBeGqGx_vjmAzthRYZLOAVSByWs6bcxAv0mbx50uaGs3qTjudDDOACwKwpR8wliHYgNaTT6E1gKXHAuRTx8i1pWUoOYIhyyGuov7LTwrU4W7p8d7C805tiKNryZsfs1lAIbUstV8aSGszELDkSDZzoWQ12XgGXghfmMCq0hT99qFvygmp-4J7A-ov1xxcdV6GmjnwFkVYRaIDefSFUlrnXBpua5BcF84PXw0pzNPXS4C26gAAA8tf1evkjqKGbmPtzE_HoiNNC-AOkgF4hNyGdPpUCUayd3BxEbHPrugkecCq31CbQer9ltyaVV1c04Jmzop_gBEdV=w1683-h424-no

For what I saw online it can hardware issue but it would not make any sens because the switch worked fine earlier.

I tried updating to the latest atmosphere wich is compatible with every firmware ; my switch is a launch model from 2017.

So I backed up my (broken ?) nand and followed this guide to downgrade my console to 5.1.0 https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualchoiupgrade wich is known to be compatible with ChoiduJour
I followed it until the end so I've "formated" my SYSTEM using hacDiskMount to get a default nand .

Neither Atmosphere (after restored default hekate) or OFW will boot, it's stuck on the Nintendo Switch Boot Logo.

My battery is running really low so, firstly how can I charge my switch before retoring my nand backup (made after error 2101-0001) and secondly what are the firmware compatible with ChoiDuJour to create a 8.1.0 nand or even a 9.1.0.

Thank you in advance for your patience with all of this.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. plug your switch into the official charger and leave it for a few hours, it can't boot below a certain battery level
  2. when you downgraded, did you delete everything in the system and user partitions? if not, incompatible savedata from later versions can cause weird errors
  3. ChoiDujour only supports up to version 6.1.0 as a target, no higher

antoclass

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's probably dead my only bet is to get the battery out of the console then charge it, i was getting 30 seconds to boot to atmosphere using fusee gelee, but it wasn't enough to get to the charging part of horizon, after I plugged it to the wall charger when it booted i saw the charging icon in red so the console in the top half of the screen ; it had not enough time to get to the charging part the ac adapter wasn't recognized.

vlone59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

So, it may sounds funny but I actually bought Antoclass's Switch.
I know him IRL for a long time but he haven't told me that he opened a thread here.

So, long story short:

The switch doesn't seem to be charging at all, I have to charge the battery with an other switch every time it gets low (dead charger chip?)

I downgraded all the way down to 5.1.0 = first boot failed, stuck on the switch logo.

Cleared all partitions and pasted ChoiDuJour files = still stuck on the switch logo.

I get this screen in every scenario except if I boot on OFW, which result in just a black screen and no Nintendo logo at all.

Upgraded to 6.1.0 with the same process = error 2101-001 in every scenario (Atmosphère, OFW...)

I checked fuses, and they seems burnt up to 10, which correspond to 8.1.0, but ChoiDuJour do not support that FW.

I will give it other tries tomorrow but it looks like a dead end...

Also, I tried with both FAT32 and ExFAT SD Cards, it didn't changed anything.

If anyone have an idea...

thanks a lot

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

So, it may sounds funny but I actually bought Antoclass's Switch.
I know him IRL for a long time but he haven't told me that he opened a thread here.

So, long story short:

The switch doesn't seem to be charging at all, I have to charge the battery with an other switch every time it gets low (dead charger chip?)

I downgraded all the way down to 5.1.0 = first boot failed, stuck on the switch logo.

Cleared all partitions and pasted ChoiDuJour files = still stuck on the switch logo.

I get this screen in every scenario except if I boot on OFW, which result in just a black screen and no Nintendo logo at all.

Upgraded to 6.1.0 with the same process = error 2101-001 in every scenario (Atmosphère, OFW...)

I checked fuses, and they seems burnt up to 10, which correspond to 8.1.0, but ChoiDuJour do not support that FW.

I will give it other tries tomorrow but it looks like a dead end...

Also, I tried with both FAT32 and ExFAT SD Cards, it didn't changed anything.

If anyone have an idea...

thanks a lot
2101-xxxx errors are i2c related. That combined with the fact that it won’t charge indicates that one of the power related ICs is dead.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't understand where this idea that ChoiDuJour doesn't support current firmware comes from. I used it to install my latest FW on emuMMC without a hitch.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ah, I see. I don't know much about ChoiDujour then. Wouldn't the user be able to use hekate/atmosphere to bypass fuse checks to use ChoiDujourNX to install the latest firmware? I don't understand the purpose of using ChoiDujour in this context.

Last edited by tabzer,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. I don't know much about ChoiDujour then. Wouldn't the user be able to use hekate/atmosphere to bypass fuse checks to use ChoiDujourNX to install the latest firmware? I don't understand the purpose of using ChoiDujour in this context.
Look at the guide that the OP posted. It's a manual downgrade guide using the PC version. The switch won't charge. It has nothing to do with choidejour.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Look at the guide that the OP posted. It's a manual downgrade guide using the PC version. The switch won't charge. It has nothing to do with choidejour.

For some reason I mentally compartmentalized @vlone59 and OP separately. I know the battery not charging could be a physical issue, non-fixable by software restoration, but he did say he could charge it using another Switch. Also, there has been no mention of recovery mode, which has been known to fix botched firmware upgrades.

vlone59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Thanks all for your answers.

Sounds like a chip issue to me too.

I will check for shorted capacitors tonight.

Also, I forgot to mention that I tried recovery or maintenance mode without any success, it never appeared.
Is there any payload to force it to boot the switch in maintenance mode ?

And yes, Atmosphère doesn't care about fuses so it doesn't looks like a fuse issue

Anyway it's still strange that it haven't booted even on the error code on FW 5.1.0

Thanks

Reactions: tabzer

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks all for your answers.

Sounds like a chip issue to me too.

I will check for shorted capacitors tonight.

Also, I forgot to mention that I tried recovery or maintenance mode without any success, it never appeared.
Is there any payload to force it to boot the switch in maintenance mode ?

And yes, Atmosphère doesn't care about fuses so it doesn't looks like a fuse issue

Anyway it's still strange that it haven't booted even on the error code on FW 5.1.0

Thanks
Maintenance mode is the same as normal mode except a few sysmodules don’t run and it boots the maintenance applet instead of qlaunch. It’ll run into the same 2101-0001 error.

vlone59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, after a check, it looks like I have only one shorted capacitor.

The thing is that from threads I have read, it is not the same capacitor.

Here is a picture :

[Sorry I cannot had this picture --"]

Can it be just a dead capacitor or the whole M92T36 chip dead ?
Thanks

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, after a check, it looks like I have only one shorted capacitor.

The thing is that from threads I have read, it is not the same capacitor.

Here is a picture :

[Sorry I cannot had this picture --"]

Can it be just a dead capacitor or the whole M92T36 chip dead ?
Thanks
If it's just one capacitor, it's less likely to be the chip but it could still be.

vlone59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
here is the picture : imgur . com / gallery / wnCLH8W

I checked the pin5 and 0v
I but the ground on the same I used to check shorted capacitors, so it sounds like there is a big probability that this chip is dead isn't it ?

vlone59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys,

So just a quick update, I received the chip and a friend of mine replace it (beceause I do not have that kind of hardware)

And now the Switch is working perfectly fine.
No more errors and it is now charging

so thanks to all of you guys for your help !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and sticky