Gaming Street Pass must suck for many of you

loco365

Trophies
XP
Okay I managed a record yesterday. Mother dragged me to the doctor's office, and as she left, 2 kids, each with a 3DS walk in. 2 Streetpasses right there.
I bet you found it really hard not to say anything as you walked past them. :P
The kids saw me playing it and were all like "WAT R U PLAYIN!?"

Reactions: 2 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I managed a record yesterday. Mother dragged me to the doctor's office, and as she left, 2 kids, each with a 3DS walk in. 2 Streetpasses right there.
I bet you found it really hard not to say anything as you walked past them. :P
The kids saw me playing it and were all like "WAT R U PLAYIN!?"
Shoulda replied "with your Miis" and looked at the horrified expression on their mother's face.

Reactions: 3 people

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One frustrating occasion actually, was when I saw a friend who also owns one, yet for some reason we couldn't get StreetPass to trigger at all.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
One frustrating occasion actually, was when I saw a friend who also owns one, yet for some reason we couldn't get StreetPass to trigger at all.
I had a friend who's (very over-protective) parents got to it first and set a parental lock on it. But I doubt that's the reason in your case.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I had a friend who's (very over-protective) parents got to it first and set a parental lock on it. But I doubt that's the reason in your case.
Makes me glad my mother is tech-illiterate.

Reactions: 1 person

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to a pizza place (the kind with arcades and kart racing and stuff like that) and got like 4 hits, and usually when I pass a gamestop at a mall I get a few more.

But in my own town, ZERO. Streetpass is a failure for the most part (excluding Japan)

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole 3ds as a portable system is pretty much useless honestly,as long as the sun is shining , the thing is bad enough in a dim lit room, not even worth taking it about with me and risking it being scratched cause playing it in any kind of light really sucks ass, i wonder if they could have made a matte finish screen and had the 3d still work ,even in a dim lit room i see my reflection and other reflections in the mirror shiny ass screen , i should just trade it for a fat since portability is not really an issue since its kinda useless anyhow
go to alaska in the summer you will probably get many hits there since its dark out 22 hours a day

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
the whole 3ds as a portable system is pretty much useless honestly,as long as the sun is shining , the thing is bad enough in a dim lit room, not even worth taking it about with me and risking it being scratched cause playing it in any kind of light really sucks ass, i wonder if they could have made a matte finish screen and had the 3d still work ,even in a dim lit room i see my reflection and other reflections in the mirror shiny ass screen , i should just trade it for a fat since portability is not really an issue since its kinda useless anyhow
go to alaska in the summer you will probably get many hits there since its dark out 22 hours a day
The XL fixes most of the issues. It has a matte finish, the screens are not scratched, it has an extra antiglare layer.

Reactions: 1 person

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The XL fixes most of the issues. It has a matte finish, the screens are not scratched, it has an extra antiglare layer.
ill have to check it out ,last i went to gamestop was like 2 days before it was released here but unlike the 3ds they didnt have a display out before the release date
but ironically i would not really want to carry a xl out with me its too big i think

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually on my commute to and from work I get maybe 10-15 hits a day. Sometimes lass but most of the time it's around 10.

Also GameStop does not have any 3DS XL demo unit in by me since from what I heard is there is only one local Nintendo rep in Wisconsin and that rep has to hit all the GameStops, Best Buys, and so on. So four of the GS's I went to do not have their demo unit's in yet.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I live in a college town, so I'm lucky. Sometimes just dropping my girlfriend off at class and never even getting out of the car is enough to pick up a streetpass or 2. But when I was living with my parents in the middle of freaking nowhere, I never got ANY streetpasses... Even going to a rather big mall in the middle of the Triangle in NC (which is equipped with a GameStop, and multiple places that feature Nintendo Zone), I rarely got any.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it; he's in his late 20s/early 30s and married with two children.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I took both my 3DS systems with me town down yesterday, walked around all over the place.
Through the shopping mall, down to a CEX shop, up through a Wilkinsons, through a Tescos, then down to GAME to download Keldeo to my Pokémon Black, and stopped at McDonalds.

I got 6 streetpass hits whilst I down there, and actually got 5 pink puzzle pieces of the Kirby anniversary puzzle in one day, was very cool.
It would've been just three if I didn't have my second 3DS in my backpack, I chose the ones I didn't have on the other system, two different pieces from the same two guys!

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it's the time travelling then. Probably screwed with the wireless.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

He probably has a very overprotective wife.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

He probably has a very overprotective wife.
They're both lovely people.

It may have just been a glitch, anyway, or maybe it was a crossed setting. It worked last year.

vuldin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get three or four every week here in Seattle. PAX was awesome though... I think I got around 300 at that convention. Any large gathering of people (of which there are many here) you are guaranteed to get a few (even at the Puyallup Fair last week out in rural Washington state). I have somewhere around 600 hits so far.

BadAnimal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pretty useless most of the time. My son has a 3DS so he and I Street Pass everyday. I bring my 3DS everywhere, I have a 25 mile commute to and from work, take it out to lunch with me, take it everywhere I go and I almost never get any hits.

Pokemon Regionals will be next month and I expect to get alot then.

But in a very large spread out city like Houston where everyone drives, there is very little chance of getting a Street Pass.

I'm an American ex-pat living in Tokyo. For me, a trip to work or a trip to the in-laws or a trip basically anywhere on the train or subway very easily fills up my maximum 10 hits with new contacts. I have over 1000 at this point, and I don't very often take my 3DS out with me.

I'm on a rare trip home to the US now, and I got all of one hit during my four-hour layover in San Francisco, nothing in the Chicago Airport, nothing in Atlanta. Needless to say, no hits in semi-rural Georgia.

So is Street Pass pretty useless for most people?

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It used to be useless before the price drop. I went to NYC for the day, and got one Streetpass (About a week after launch).

Now I get them all the time. Yesterday I got 7 in a day at school (College with ~13,000 students enrolled).

It's still a cool feature. It was definitely a good idea, and seems like a lot of people get enjoyment out of it.

Reactions: 3 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ