Hacking Stream games from NAS?

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

A friend would like to stream games from a NAS instead of a harddrive connected to the Wii and he came up with an idea using something called UMS (not sure what) and connect the Wii to the NAS/computer running Linux.

This got a couple of benefits as I see it, but have anyone tried this solution? I'm really not sure which drivers needed.

I would really like to see support for this. The harddrive will be better cooled, more silent etc. And you can have the drive in a HTPC.

GimmeWii

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Was answered several times, but again:

The Drivers/Hardware for W-Lan and the Lan Adapter are too crappy, you wouldn't get enough speed for a game to run from there. That's also why FlatMii uses it's own Hardware/Drivers for that. So, not possible (Maybe if someone writes a good driver...but no idea if we then would still have enough speed...I don't think so...).

If you want something like that, get FlatMii, or forget it. I don't have to mention that FlatMii is safer from Updates from Nintendo, and there aren't compability issues than with SoftMods...

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you run USB host on the computer, won't that work? Then you probably get the required speed and since there's loaders supporting multiple WBFS, guess how awesome that would be.

I don't know coding, but will it be that much harder to using a NAS etc, connected via USB?

EDIT:
Now talking without Flatmii (of course). Just wanted to make that clear.

GimmeWii

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget that flatmii has 99.99% GC & Wii compatibility. Every game that plays from the disc drive will work with it. No worrying about alt dols and shit. As far as speed, it puts out an extremely constant 2.7mB/s. I clocked it for 30 minutes and the stream was 2.7 the whole time. Throw in another $5 and get a flatmii 125 and you have a modchip, too.

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds really cool, but do you have any experience running this under Linux? Like Debian or another proper dist compare to Ubuntu?

GimmeWii

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only drivers on their site are for windows. you just need some way to run windows crap under linux.

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's probably a workaround, but I just heard Nintendo bricks console with FlatMii and it's only officially support up to 4.0.

GimmeWii

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is almost impossible for them to tell if it has a flatmii. it is just a drive emulator. so the wii thinks it is the drive. and if they do find a way to tell, it isn't soldered anywear. just unplug it. the only trouble i had will mine was right wher i first hooked it up. i was on 3.4u and when i loaded a fakesigned disc with it (guitar hero customs) i got the "an error has occurred" screen. i patched an ios and all is well on the homefront.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle