Gaming Storing my life

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want to store away to my moms house all my pictures and video (about 40 gb maybe more later ) in case my house burns down or anything just put it there.

I want to know what media I should use I heard dvds have a 7-8 years lifespan. Flash drives get erased. Hard drive? can the data last 10+ years?
Any other idea?

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Magsor said:
I want to store away to my moms house all my pictures and video (about 40 gb maybe more later ) in case my house burns down or anything just put it there.

I want to know what media I should use I heard dvds have a 7-8 years lifespan. Flash drives get erased. Hard drive? can the data last 10+ years?
Any other idea?
DVD/Blue-trays are ideal for photo's/video
flash drives= don't even think about it.. too small
external HDD= pretty much the best solution avalible get a 500GB or a 1TB for all those backup neededs

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
He's talking about length more than capacity.

Some sort of magnetic storage on a material that won't degrade is best, harddrives are an obvious choice. If you're talking ass-huge stuff you might consider tape drives (huge storage but really slow seek times so it's mainly used for backup), but you'd need specialized hardware so that's generally out of the question for anything but a company.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Used DVDs.
It's been theorised that they can last up to 75 - 400 years.
Make sure to take good care of them, keeping them in cases and the
Like. Make more than one copy and put some on your main HDD and another HDDS you have.
Then upload then to several places on the Internet.
Then email then to yourself.
Then you should be fine.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Depending on the environment, DVDs can last between 1 and 400 years. Sunlight, scratches, forces of nature (like little kids), etc, can all make a DVD last a very short time. So can an Xbox 360, but that's another matter. Hard drives... that depends on how well they're built and how they're treated. I've got a very old 2GB HDD that still works (it's big enough to kill someone if used as a club). I've also had a SeaGate HDD that only lasted around 8 months.

For storing pictures, I think DVDs are best. For storing videos, depending on the size, I still think DVDs are best. If you want everything in one place, use an external hard drive that you don't plan to move a lot (i.e. you're not putting it in a bag to plug into school computers, etc).

However the best backup/storage method is actually to use multimedia (as in multiple media). Store everything in a good hard drive (like the Samsung Spinpoint F3) and keep it somewhere safe (like in a metal box). Burn it all to DVD/BluRay and keep it all in a disc wallet, and also keep that somewhere safe. And finally, invest in an online storage solution like DropBox to upload your files to. That way even if your house burns down and some nuclear force oblitorates that metal box, you've still got a virtual copy to rely on.

EDIT: The post above mine says basically the same thing. Meh.

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im am just gonna put the DVDs I have(already burnt) In a metal box and give that to my mom so she can put them in the closet like the rest of the pictures.

Thepoweroutage thanks for your suggestion I will make up some gmail accounts and upload there it will be kept private (to an extent) and I can make up more account as needed. It will take a lot of time due to my ISP being slow but I dont plan my house to burn down in the next weeks...
I have had a gmail account since 2003 and the files are still there.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Magsor said:
Im am just gonna put the DVDs I have(already burnt) In a metal box and give that to my mom so she can put them in the closet like the rest of the pictures.

Thepoweroutage thanks for your suggestion I will make up some gmail accounts and upload there it will be kept private (to an extent) and I can make up more account as needed. It will take a lot of time due to my ISP being slow but I dont plan my house to burn down in the next weeks...
I have had a gmail account since 2003 and the files are still there.

Make sure to burn multiple copies and put them somewhere else, just in case.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sefi said:
Burn it onto DVDs, making 2+ copies. Redo it every 5 years.
Two copies on the same type of media is silly.

Anything remotely important should be on at least two different types of media, with at least one off-site.

Mushkin

Trophies
XP
Country
Just use a good brand external HD, and be done with it
yay.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In addition to what Urza said do consider burning a whole bunch of PAR2 files or some other recovery method as well- not necessarily for long term stuff but several times has my backside been saved by my adding some of them to a disc when I burn it (some of the slightly more exotic file systems can do it on a single drive/at filesystem level).

As for optical media there are high grade/"Archival grade" media. In bulk they cost about as much as dual layers do but they are great.

If you can manage it you also have the option of spinning up drives and renewing data after a few years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end