Not open for further replies.

elenar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted "No" to all 3, but not necessarily because I don't agree with them.

No to the first because what I'd like to say is "Only if there's some specific reason to do so." I understand there has been a perceived increase in the number of "noobs" joining up, but the only solution to that will be to permanently close registrations. While that may sound enticing to some, it would lead to a forum with a small amount of users which would quickly become boring. In my experience when IRC channels, usenet groups, or MUD's that I used to participate in back in the 90's had a drop in users, the fun factor of them would decrease rapidly. It's user interaction that makes the internet worthwhile, love it or hate it.

No to the second because even if I agreed that closing registrations was a wise choice, it would have to be permanent to achieve the intended outcome.

No to the third because clearing old accounts wouldn't prevent noobs from existing, although I guess pruning the user database doesn't have a real downside. Probably anyone that got deleted for inactivity wouldn't notice anyways, but my reason for selecting "No" is that I don't know of any real benefit to the site that it would produce.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A more effective solution would be to dole out temporary suspensions when people make stupid threads (aka, "WHICH FALSHCAT DO I BUY????", "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???", "FUCK I REALLY WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH MY SISTER" = automatic one week suspension, no negotiation).

Unfortunately shaun and Costello are "noob lovers", so this will never happen.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
A more effective solution would be to dole out temporary suspensions when people make stupid threads (aka, "WHICH FALSHCAT DO I BUY????", "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???", "FUCK I REALLY WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH MY SISTER" = automatic one week suspension, no negotiation).

Unfortunately shaun and Costello are "noob lovers", so this will never happen.
while i believe in equal oppurtunity... i'd like to turn your attention to one of my recent complaints about noobs Click me.
thats all i have to say

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another solution would be a temporary stop on registrations when a big name rom comes out. I'm just typing aloud that's all.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Harsky said:
Another solution would be a temporary stop on registrations when a big name rom comes out. I'm just typing aloud that's all.
If I had a dime for every time I've suggested this.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Harsky said:
If I had a dime for every time I've suggested this.
we'd all be rich

but seriously...the influx of n00bs lately has been mind numbing. and im shocked i only got 1 warn so far.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say no to closing registrations. That just seems like an elitist thing to do.

But I would say that any account that hasn't been logged into for....oh, say 6 months to a year or so should be deleted as an abandoned account.

Maybe the site would be slightly faster if it didn't have to sift through a bunch of dead accounts? I don't know.

At any rate, I see this as a non-issue.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I say no to closing registrations. That just seems like an elitist thing to do.
There are many, many steps in between "elitist" and what this site has become.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, most of you don't really get it, do you? This site survives on new members.

Close registration when a new hot release comes out? That's when we draw in most of our members. Treat new members badly? We were all new users once, if I had been treated like crap from the moment I registered I wouldn't be here right now. And I suspect the same can be said for most of you. Make registration invite only? See my first rhetorical question/answer. Delete old accounts? That's what makes us the largest community of this sort on the web.

Oh, and to Urza: "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", and "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???" were made against the rules in the recent rules update.

mrSmiles

Dundunduuuun
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
Oh, and to Urza: "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", and "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???" were made against the rules in the recent rules update.

yet people will still do it regardless of it being against the rules.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Delete old accounts? That's what makes us the largest community of this sort on the web.
Dead accounts make this the largest community?

First of all, even if that was true, its not something to be proud of.

But thankfully it doesn't, and the "size" of the community really has nothing to do with how many accounts have been opened, but more how many active accounts there are.

QUOTEOh, and to Urza: "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", and "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???" were made against the rules in the recent rules update.
Do you ban the user?

No.

You make a pussy move and lock the topic.

Ace Gunman said:
Wow, most of you don't really get it, do you? This site survives on new members.

Close registration when a new hot release comes out? That's when we draw in most of our members. Treat new members badly? We were all new users once, if I had been treated like crap from the moment I registered I wouldn't be here right now. And I suspect the same can be said for most of you. Make registration invite only? See my first rhetorical question/answer.
This is why there is no hope for GBAtemp.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:

Close registration when a new hot release comes out? That's when we draw in most of our members. Treat new members badly? We were all new users once, if I had been treated like crap from the moment I registered I wouldn't be here right now. And I suspect the same can be said for most of you. Make registration invite only? See my first rhetorical question/answer. Delete old accounts? That's what makes us the largest community of this sort on the web.

Ace...

We arent saying that all of those noobs should be treated badly. its just that alot of them ask things that have been asked a million times. then they demand answer to threads that they made, to make them feel self important. the newbies of today wouldnt have been able to survive the scene back then thats all

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace Gunman said:

Ace Gunman I well and truly agree with you.
lecture.gif
There is no way that the site will survive if we stop people from joining as new members.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raven Darkheart said:
Ace Gunman said:

Ace...

We arent saying that all of those noobs should be treated badly. its just that alot of them ask things that have been asked a million times. then they demand answer to threads that they made, to make them feel self important. the newbies of today wouldnt have been able to survive the scene back then thats all
Hell yeah man.
August 08, those were the days....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==