Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
mrSmiles said:
Ace Gunman said:
Oh, and to Urza: "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", and "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???" were made against the rules in the recent rules update.

yet people will still do it regardless of it being against the rules.

Yes, and then they will be punished.

Urza said:
Oh, and to Urza: "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", and "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???" were made against the rules in the recent rules update.
Do you ban the user?

No.

You make a pussy move and lock the topic.
See above. Banning someone who makes a poor topic is not an acceptable punishment.

Back when I was a new member I believe one of my first topics was one asking if GBA link play over the internet would ever be possible. At the time this was considered an unacceptable question because so many people asked it so often and the answer, again, at the time, was always no. Had I been banned for that question I wouldn't be where I am today.

And if every punishment was as harsh as you wished it to be you would have been banned the first time you insulted another member.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ace Gunman said:
And if every punishment was as harsh as you wished it to be you would have been banned the first time you insulted another member.
Alright faggot.

Ban me too.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
elenar said:
In my experience when IRC channels, usenet groups, or MUD's that I used to participate in back in the 90's had a drop in users, the fun factor of them would decrease rapidly. It's user interaction that makes the internet worthwhile, love it or hate it.

i've been on irc since the early 90's and bbs boards before that going back to private dialup sites. i disagree with what you said, the smaller a room is the better it is. the more people can concentrate on getting to know each other, really helping each other, and finding people who can help to build a chan/board up with expert advice and not wasted space. or perhaps you mean the larger a chan is the more idiots you can make fun of.. in which case a small chan would decrease the fun factor.

i don't like areas of the net that have invite only, i think everyone should get a chance to prove themselves. but with that thought process should come the understanding that not everyone belongs in the group. what urza says makes sense to me, if you ask stupid questions you should get warned and then banned. the whole flash kit scene has become a bit of a joke now where every 12 yr old has a flash kit. the kits are so easy, so cheap to buy, so simple to set up, its no wonder this is happening. you start to see a flood of people who aren't smart enough to research before they post, use spell check, post useful information that furthers a conversation, etc. i think a bit of thinning of the herd is a good idea.

-another world

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sigh i kind of have to agree with urza on the point of having active members is better then having a total composite number

if you have noticed the recent trends, newbies make their accts...ask their silly questions and leave. how does that contribute to the community as a whole

if you have time...i'd like to direct you to my 1st blog entry. most newbies lack the capacity to even search this site for the answers to their question? if you ask me that doesnt contribute to gba temp. its just extra clutter

EDIT: A.W beat me to it
smile.gif

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although times like yesterday/this morning's announcements make one really consider closing new accounts, I really don't think it would be a good idea. Everyone starts out as a noob so you can't really hate on them. Unless they make an account, ask one question that has been answered a million times and then never comes back. I am, however, for clearing out old accounts, but just really old ones with no logons in like a year+. Don't clear out lurkers like me though!
ph34r.gif

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are people on GBAtemp who have absolutely zero respect for other people and they have no problem admitting it... I think those people should be banned from the site. And I am not going to give out names as to who I think is disrespectful. I am always respectful towards others, even when they are treating me like shit, unless they really piss me off.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know when I made this thread I was hoping for a nice debate, and for the most part it's worked out. I've seen people's points and Urza's seem to have really hit the nail on the head. I mean it's the disrespect that made Gaitsuo (I"m not sure if I spelled it right, but last thread I looked at he resigned) quit.

Also I'd have to say despite the fact that we were all new users once, some of us learned to give respect in order to get some back. To some noobs and even some more experienced members it's all take, take, take and not give and take like a community should have.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
A more effective solution would be to dole out temporary suspensions when people make stupid threads (aka, "WHICH FALSHCAT DO I BUY????", "OH MAN MY FAVORITE ROM SITE CLOSED DOWN", "IS BLAH BLAH DUMPED YET???", "FUCK I REALLY WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH MY SISTER" = automatic one week suspension, no negotiation).

Unfortunately shaun and Costello are "noob lovers", so this will never happen.
I've been looking for a good sig, mind if I quote you here? Just too funny to pass up.

Joujoudoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkSpace said:
I don't know when I made this thread I was hoping for a nice debate, and for the most part it's worked out. I've seen people's points and Urza's seem to have really hit the nail on the head. I mean it's the disrespect that made Gaitsuo (I"m not sure if I spelled it right, but last thread I looked at he resigned) quit.

Also I'd have to say despite the fact that we were all new users once, some of us learned to give respect in order to get some back. To some noobs and even some more experienced members it's all take, take, take and not give and take like a community should have.

Urza is the most disrespectful person on this entire site... I don't talk much on this site because of him and all of his followers who seem to think it's cool to be rude to people.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He may be rude, I'm not a fanboy of Urza, but his bluntness, does put things into perspective. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm pointing out facts, or at least what I know to be facts and proving my point which just happens to coincide with Urza's

S

ScuberSteve

Urza has been suspended for three days.
He cannot take your calls.
Please leave a message after the beep.
Thank you.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Total number of accounts mean nothing if many are not active. There's nothing wrong with a little pruning. I would think some house keeping on old accounts would be a good thing to do anyways. Perhaps remove all accounts that have not logged in in the past 6 months and also have not made a single post at all. The kind that you can pretty much next to guarantee they won't be returning.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the kind of people that are attracted to the forums these days but I'm not going to suggest disallowing them by any means.

So here's what I propose to do with new members. Don't limit the registration but fill the registration page with check boxes for each section of the rules. Make it so they at least have to pay a little more attention to them. Hell, you could just implement this form of a registration during big releases along with the other noticeable measures taken. I'm just saying, try harder to get the point across. Sure it can make registering inconvenient but rules are rules. Make them read the rules a little more. Shit, maybe even toss a word in the rules they have to type to continue. I'm just thinking out loud on that of course.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Harhar. Internets.

I'd say no to everything requested.

New people come, and new people go. It's a fact most will post an annoying question, and then simply leave.
And then of course, there's the whole "You really don't have to click the thread" button argument, if you want to throw that in there.

But, those who do stay and actually become a part of the community, add to it.

I joined about.. A year ago to learn up on flashcarts. I lurked alot. Bought a DS, without a flashcart, and built a stand for it out of Legos. Posted those pictures.
But then asked some questions that were asked a million times before.
But hey, I got nice answers. So that made me stay. And I've somehow accumulated over a hundred posts.
Now, I wouldn't say I'm an acitve poster. Active lurker, for sure.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
AshuraZro said:
Total number of accounts mean nothing if many are not active. There's nothing wrong with a little pruning. I would think some house keeping on old accounts would be a good thing to do anyways. Perhaps remove all accounts that have not logged in in the past 6 months and also have not made a single post at all. The kind that you can pretty much next to guarantee they won't be returning.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the kind of people that are attracted to the forums these days but I'm not going to suggest disallowing them by any means.

So here's what I propose to do with new members. Don't limit the registration but fill the registration page with check boxes for each section of the rules. Make it so they at least have to pay a little more attention to them. Hell, you could just implement this form of a registration during big releases along with the other noticeable measures taken. I'm just saying, try harder to get the point across. Sure it can make registering inconvenient but rules are rules. Make them read the rules a little more. Shit, maybe even toss a word in the rules they have to type to continue. I'm just thinking out loud on that of course.
It's not so much about the total as it is about intent and pride. users have come to GBAtemp and registered for whatever reason. It's something to be proud of and celebrated. And some users come back after years of inactivity. So we wouldn't want them to come back to a deleted account.

As for your second idea, the staff have talked about that before, and it's very possible we may do that, or something like that, in the near future.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
All I've got to say is everyone's a noob at one point, and kids will eventually grow up, improve their posting quality, find something better to do, etc. :/

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
As for your second idea, the staff have talked about that before, and it's very possible we may do that, or something like that, in the near future.
I'm going to spout a few extras and add to it just for the hell of it.

How about a user's first 5-10 posts are instantly reported for review similar to that of a user reporting a post? Or to be a little more lenient, the post is checked for specific keywords like rom, download, iso, game, etc and then either flagged if it meets that requirement or it forces the user to view the rules once making that post. I'm sure that'd add some stress so that's likely something that would probably need to be disabled during high traffic but again, I'm just tossing out some more thoughts.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
beedog19 said:
really don't think it would be a good idea. Everyone starts out as a noob so you can't really hate on them.

i came here doing research on slot 1 kits, i didn't know much about them. that did not make me a *noob* and frankly i find the constant mention of that term hilarious since we use to use it over 20 years ago in regards to phreaking. all of a sudden if you do something dumb your a "noob" or if you dont know answers before you ask your a "noob." not knowing information classifies you as a beginner. however, not researching in any form, as in not bothering to attempt to find an answer before you pos.... that is a constant problem here, as too many people add remarks to threads with out researching or knowing the facts. people just seem to want to raise their post count, and/or prove they know more than the next guy at times. also so many people post the same answer in a thread, which i still do not understand. if the second post answers the questions, why do 10 subsequent people feel they have to post the exact same answer in their own words? these are the people i would allow you to call "noobs," these are the people that need to be reprimanded in some form. poor netiquette waste space, bandwidth, and time for others on the forum who are attempting to do research or help others with their legitimate problems.

jesus jph, 5,999 posts... you better slow down you might go blind =P

QUOTE(AshuraZro @ Oct 2 2008, 11:28 PM) How about a user's first 5-10 posts are instantly reported for review similar to that of a user reporting a post? Or to be a little more lenient, the post is checked for specific keywords like rom, download, iso, game, etc and then either flagged if it meets that requirement or it forces the user to view the rules once making that post. I'm sure that'd add some stress so that's likely something that would probably need to be disabled during high traffic but again, I'm just tossing out some more thoughts.

no one is going to take the time to manually check over the first 5-10 posts of new users. and from a programming standpoint trying to catch certain words in the correct context would be a nightmare. no one is going to spend the time to try and write that script. consider how many ways you can type ROM, rom, r.o.m, r o m, R0m, r-0-m, r*m, etc. and then what if it is a legit question, you would have to have a script smart enough to know how the term was being used.

-another world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj