Hacking Starfall + 4.0

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you've installed 4.0, what happened to your Starfall installation? Specifically, it would be good to know if the individual Starfall hacks still work: health warning, background music, update block, etc. Also, is it safe to turn the hacks on and off after installing 4.0?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Knocks said:
If you've installed 4.0, what happened to your Starfall installation? Specifically, it would be good to know if the individual Starfall hacks still work: health warning, background music, update block, etc. Also, is it safe to turn the hacks on and off after installing 4.0?
As Starfall edited your systemmenu file, by updating you're overwriting it.

So I'm pretty sure you'll lose all Starfall's functionalities by upgrading.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Has anyone actually tried?
Starfall installs hacks. Installing a new system menu, no matter the version, will uninstall the hacks. That's it.

Besides, I just installed the new system menu since I wanted the run from SD option pretty bad and it got rid of my Starfall, so even if I hadn't been sure I know now. Make sure you have a new cIOS installed first, then you have more of an avenue for hacks.

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There's still a chance it might work with the new menu. The hacks are pretty basic and just make byte-size changes to a text file. If those options are still present after the update, there's no reason they can't be changed again.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Knocks said:
There's still a chance it might work with the new menu. The hacks are pretty basic and just make byte-size changes to a text file. If those options are still present after the update, there's no reason they can't be changed again.
I guess that StarFall checks for a 3.2 SystemMenu before applying the hacks to the respective addresses. There's a serious chance of bricking, by installing StarFall on 4.0.

If addresses changed between 3.2 and 4.0, and StarFall doesn't come with a protection of some sort, it could end up editing the wrong addresses, potentially bricking your systemmenu.

Just wait.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you know this for fact then why ask us? Anyway, raulpica is right. Best to just wait for now to see what happens. I bet that eventually we'll see (for example) preloader hacks that work with the new menu.

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
9th_Sage said:
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you know this for fact then why ask us? Anyway, raulpica is right. Best to just wait for now to see what happens. I bet that eventually we'll see (for example) preloader hacks that work with the new menu.

Do you know the difference between "there's a chance" and "know for a fact"?

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok first off the starfall tool physically will not work on any system menu other then 3.2 It does an internal check and if it's not 3.2 it returns an error. This is a safety measure for it. So in other words it's not going to work. Period. As for the use of the preloader hacks system you have to be able to install preloader to use it. So that's a no. Just wait for awhile and eventually this update will be broken.

SyNNeR6x3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Try This:

searchm.jpg

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
9th_Sage said:

Oh my, I'm so hurt by the way you try to take my words out of context.
tongue.gif
Please.

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
9th_Sage said:
Knocks said:
Oh my, I'm so hurt by the way you try to take my words out of context.
tongue.gif
Please.

It's good that you're not hurt, because you also don't know what "taking words out of context" means. I said there's a chance it might work, and you said that I somehow knew this for a fact.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no chance it will work. None at all.

If you install Starfall then update, the hacks are erased
If you update then attempt to install the hacks, it will check to see if you are on 3.2 and when it see's you are not, it will return with an error.

This is not a guess, it is fact.

PSeeCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm still on 3.2 with starfall, just cause i may need it in case of semi brick...is there any other homebrew that can be used to load games on a semibricked wii?

Knocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
jinxvorheeze said:
There is no chance it will work. None at all.

If you install Starfall then update, the hacks are erased
If you update then attempt to install the hacks, it will check to see if you are on 3.2 and when it see's you are not, it will return with an error.

This is not a guess, it is fact.

Scroll up and re-read my post. It was about how the hacks are done. Version check is just a feature of Starfall, not a technical barrier to installing the hacks on other firmware. It IS possible for the same hacks to work on newer firmware, we just don't know because the only software that allowed them has a version check. And as raulpica noted, there is a chance of bricking if the addresses in the new firmware are changed.

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am not a developer of any kind, but i can assure you that these folks that spend time hacking and cracking are in so deep that they will feel like they have wasted the time they have put into this so far to let an update stop them from progressing. give them time and i am sure there will be a hack of some sort that does what we had before available. i have seen some amazing things come from this forum, and hope to see more in the future!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: oh shiz something could be happening