Star Ocean on NDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CortalRage, May 24, 2010.

May 24, 2010

Star Ocean on NDS? by CortalRage at 5:59 AM (3,725 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. CortalRage
    OP

Newcomer CortalRage GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it possible? It doesnt work on SnesDS [​IMG]

2. zapoqx

Newcomer zapoqx Advanced Member

United States
    *shrugs*
    Perhaps possible with the DSTWO flashcart with the SNES emulation.
    But SnesDS hasn't had any development in a long time and most other DS emus if I recall hasn't had much either?

3. CortalRage
    OP

United States
    hope so. i like to be able to play my games on portable systems instead of on comp.

4. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    *cough*PSP*cough*

5. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    SNEmulDS is way better than SnesDS.

6. CortalRage
    OP

United States
    Yeah thats the one I use.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Star Ocean won't work on any SNES emulator for DS. It's one of those "special cases" in terms of SNES games. The original SNES game required a special chip inside the cartridge called the SDD-1. It was a rather powerful decompression device. The graphics in Star Ocean were very large in terms of data, they took up a lot of space on the cartridge. The company that distributed Star Ocean had two options- invest a lot of money in a larger capacity more expensive cartridge, or compress all the graphics and insert a special chip to decompress the graphics on the fly as necessary. They opted for the latter, and the SNES emulators on DS don't support this form of decompression, cited as the DS being too slow.

There are a lot of other games that use special chips as well, some for different purposes including adding more raw speed to the SNES' own processor. Here's a full list of all the known special chips used by SNES games and the games that used them-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super...hancement_chips

Any game on that list will NOT work in ANY of the SNES emulators on DS. It's unlikely they ever will either. Not only has SNES emulation on DS apparently been completely abandoned by their authors, but the probability of the DS having the needed power to take advantage of these chips was always extremely low.

HOWEVER, maybe the new alleged SNES emulator on Supercard DSTWO will support them. Although we have yet to hear anything about it so far. They may or may not have scrapped it completely.

8. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    For one time I thought "holy shit!!! [​IMG] new Star Ocean game on the NDS!" CortalRage... you are mean [​IMG]

anyway... are you using the translated rom? Maybe SnesDS doesnt support that patch. Try with a Clean rom instead. Maybe (I say maybe) it works.

9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I ran into the same problem with Super Mario Rpg.