ROM Hack Discussion SSBU Amiibo Personality Research & Discovery

odwdinc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I put a bit of work in to getting ssbu-amiibo-0.0.3 out. The new Hex Editor is getting there :)
There is now a section for "un4_Block", this seems to hold all the training data. hope this helps.
Use Edit under the data menu to open the hex editor.

DatablockOffest= 0xE0 for start of file and is 212 bytes long
un0Offest= 0x03 this is relative of the DatablockOffest, aka 0xE0 + 0x03 and is 8 bytes long
un1Offest= 0x0F this is relative of the DatablockOffest, aka 0xE0 + 0x0F and is 90 bytes long
un4Offest= 0x76 this is relative of the DatablockOffest, aka 0xE0 + 0x76 and is 93 bytes long

un2, and un3 are 1 byte long

RunCode_7.PNG

AEDAN_H

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This week has been crazy with work. I'm coming in early and staying late. This weekend I'll be able to dedicate a lot of time to this project! I'll also make a YouTube video tutorial this Sat! Go ahead and attack the bin files to your next post, I'll look at them in the morning. Also, I got my shulk Amiibo in tonight :D so I'll test the Monado Art behaviors as well!

Thanks for everyone's interest, involvement and efforts!
Can you post a link to the video

JHarris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this doesn't count as necroposting, but I've been doing some explorations. Maybe this will be useful for folks?

First, I think the fact that a newly-initialize amiibo has all zeros in the training block is a red herring. If you do practically anything with an amiibo that involves learning, then all the bytes get initialized to a nearly identical set of values. These values are the same across all amiibo, it seems, regardless of type.

Second, something that bothers me about this freshly initialized data is that much of it consists of strings of binary 1s with the occasional 0. That indicates to me that there's a good chance that the variables the game sets and updates in the training block are bitpacked to save space, maybe not aligning to byte boundries?

I've been experimenting playing 1-stock games against single, freshly-initialized amiibo, doing either nothing or one or two things, then immediately self-destructing. This way I try to isolate, for instance, what happens when a figure player is hit by one of Link's boomerangs.

Is anyone else still exploring figure player AI? Should I start a new thread?

I am wondering if at least some of the training data isn't stored as straight numerical bytes, but as Gray codes (check Wikipedia I can't post links here yet). A Gray code is a binary ordering where consecutive numbers differ from each other by a single byte.

I base this speculation on the fact that, when I hit a fresh Yoshi with a boomerang and then self destruct to immediately end the match, several bytes on the amiibo change, but they all differ from the previous state by one bit:
79 (01001111) changed to 15 (00001111)
93 (01011101) changed to 92 (01011100) (twice)
116 (01110100) changed to 112 (01110000)
209 (11010001) changed to 193 (11000001)

Why would amiibo storage make use of Gray codes? Usually they're used in data correction, but I think maybe they're used in order to reduce the number of bit state changes on the amiibo to increase its usable life.

Does anyone think I'm on the right track? Anyone?

Hmm... but would using Gray codes here even make sense? The data is all encrypted on the amiibo anyway, all the bits will be changing on each write in basically a non-obvious way. That would be weird.

Hm, the above might just be coincidental. Still analyzing.

Last edited by JHarris,

JHarris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping people might reply with their own observations, but I guess either the post or the game is too old? Is anyone interested in this? If now I'll stop. I've no desire to annoy anyone with this.

AmiiboDoctor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The competitive amiibo scene has been looking into this as well. This should probably kickstart some of your observations.
Most of the bin file has been mapped out save for a few bytes. If you guys need a rough primer on how amiibo function overall, I've written a guide at the Amiibo Doctor website.
As for the technical aspects, they're mostly explained in the article but I can take questions here or on Twitter

Attachments

• Amiibo_move_byte_information_-_PRIVATE (1).txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by AmiiboDoctor,

Eric_Ou

Trophies
XP
Country
China
hi guys, new to the amiibo editing scene, so I want to edit my amiibo to "aggressive" cause everyone says it's too campy, I think he was enthusiastic when I fed him the main spirit without knowing, but when I lowered his defense to negative and increased his attack and now he's "technician"? kinda confused rn btw, can someone teach me?
I saw the main file but didn't really understand what it meant, it says aggression is stored in 0x168 and 0x16A but when I edit any of them, my amiibo just goes corrupted, can some help me?
also, I don't know how to attach files XD gonna upload him after I figure it out

Last edited by Eric_Ou,

tkrz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Started on all this stuff today. Been sacrificing spirits to force the personality to a certain side and then resetting my stat bonuses to 0. I currently have a lightning fast amiibo, though it's playing pretty poorly despite setting it's gameplay experience to FF. Still loses to a level 9 CPU with no spirits or bonuses though, which is disappointing to say the least. If any of y'all want to discuss amiibo personalities on a quicker level I'd love to talk to some of you guys on Discord and test things out! Other than that this entire thread has been incredibly helpful.

Etrius_LeoVinci

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm returning to this project to finish Mapping out the Amiibo's offset's, made a few more discoveries after shaking off some rust given the years.

Sorry for the hiatus for those who where interested and contributing to this research! Most likely will be making a new thread dedicated to offset research alone, as some personalities where later revealed by others to only occur when using spirits.

Id like to focus on how the Amiibo's brain works piece by piece rather than the personalities generated from its collective data. thought I'm sure from mapping it out, other who are interested in specifically personalities will discern what makes one over the other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!