Spotpass

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zergslayer, Nov 1, 2013.

1. zergslayer
    OP

zergslayer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    Hi, im a new user of the gateway, and I've been trying to find an answer if it is safe to use spotpass, specifically with fire emblem that came bundled with my XL. Most answers I've seen seem to suggest that it is safe, but what i was wondering was if the 3ds would download an update while i am connected, or if it safe to use spotpass while in a game?

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    the console can download the update, but will not install it without prompting you to do, but everytime you will turn on your console it will ask, which you have to answer no

it had been suggested in gbatemp, to turn on parental controlls (just use a password like 1234 or 0000) so you will not be able to accidentally update it

3. zergslayer
    OP

zergslayer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    Thank you for your swift answer, i appreciate it

4. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    but be carefull, everything i said can be not 100% accurate, i don't own a gateway and had my 3ds on last update, i only told what i had seen in gbatemp, so other users can provide more accurate info

5. Yamagushi

Yamagushi GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    Well they just disabled spotpass due to kids drawing penises. So don't matter now lol.

6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Don't forget that the next Gateway update will also permit you to use an emulated NAND, so you can make a backup of your current NAND, then use the emulated one and update the emulated one to be able to purchase games and play them even if they require the most recent updates.

Yamagushi they didn't completely kill the service, they just ended Swapnote and Flipnote's online capabilities.

7. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    They disabled Spotpass for Swapnote. They didn't disable Spotpass altogether. Don't be silly.

8. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Since firmware 4.1, this won't help.

9. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    thank you for letting me know

other people, please don't bring here the other discussion currently going on another post

10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It will though. Before a system update, parental controls need to be bypassed, so you need to enter the pin to update it. If you have them set up, if you accidentally hit the Yes button on the main menu, it'll prompt for the pin before it starts installing, which gives you a second chance to decline the update.

11. GeneralSmiley

GeneralSmiley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2013
    The conclusion from other threads is that they removed that particular feature of parental control in update 4.1, I have left parental controls on just in case but have not dared to try it. I am also thinking of making a sticker that instructs users of my 3DS to not update on pain of death.