Gaming Splatoon

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I respond with an equally vague source? Let's compare the Google search results for the keywords hate "wii u gamepad" and hate "wii u pro controller": http://www.websource.it/search/hate "wii u gamepad"/hate "wii u pro controller". At the time of writing the standing is 7130 vs. 2240 results in favor of the Wii U Pro Controller. That means people hate the Wii U GamePad three times more than they hate the Wii U Pro Controller. I like that statistic.
Well I'm offering in a sense my opinion only which is that Wiiu pro isn't that good. Sure even I agree it is better (in some ways) for certain games and like wise no one in thier right mind would prefer it over a 360 or ps4 which are the controllers I perfer. Likewise of course more people will complain about the pad since more people have used it.

Ultimately I find it sucks IMHO compared to the xbone or ps4 controllers

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well I'm offering in a sense my opinion only which is that Wiiu pro isn't that good.
I got that part, I was just presenting another reality: other people disagree with you.
Ultimately I find it sucks IMHO compared to the xbone or ps4 controllers
Obviously so, Nintendo has done everything possible to nerf the Wii U Pro Controller! No analog triggers, no accelerometer/gyroscope, no microphone, no speaker/headset jack, and no GameCube/Xbox style right stick placement.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Having the right stick above the buttons is just idiotic. Makes 0 sense.
For shooters it's not a bad design for a controller though for normal use the right stick should've been on the bottom right.
Nintendo must have skipped testing for ergonomics. I mean, they did come out with the Wii U GamePad after all.

And what is up with the rumble of the GamePad? It's like a phone's vibration!

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having the right stick above the buttons is just idiotic. Makes 0 sense.
It does have a kernel of sense to it. As mentioned above, it does make sense to have the second joystick in the primary position for shooters and the like as your thumb spends more time dealing with that stick than with buttons. For 2D games that make use of the d-pad, it makes more sense to have both thumbs on the same level; not quite as good as having the D-pad and the face buttons on the top row, but butter than having them on different rows.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Because the Wii U is known for being a shooter oriented console. Oh, right, we're getting Splatoon. :rolleyes:
It's idiotic of Nintendo to not make Splatoon compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller because it has pretty much all needed for an FPS/TPS controller.

I still believe that if they made the quick jump map via one of the shoulder buttons it'd be just as quick and thus far no need for GamePad exclusivity.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It does have a kernel of sense to it. As mentioned above, it does make sense to have the second joystick in the primary position for shooters and the like as your thumb spends more time dealing with that stick than with buttons. For 2D games that make use of the d-pad, it makes more sense to have both thumbs on the same level; not quite as good as having the D-pad and the face buttons on the top row, but butter than having them on different rows.

Considering Nintendo is more known for its platformer and party games, exactly how does it make sense to design a controller primarily suited for shooters when there's nary a shooter worth its money available for the Wii U? Consider that just in the previous generation Nintendo had the analog sticks in exactly the opposite positions on the Classic Controller Pro for Wii.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm so use to the button in the 'B' position being the 'main button' for menus and game functions, that it is always jarring when going to the wii u it is not. Sometimes the wii u 'B' button is actually the 'back' button.

I know this makes sense on the wii u because of the position of the R stick. But since the position of the R stick sucks, the whole experience is just annoying.

First world problems I know!

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so use to the button in the 'B' position being the 'main button' for menus and game functions, that it is always jarring when going to the wii u it is not. Sometimes the wii u 'B' button is actually the 'back' button.
YES! I grew up on the SNES, and the B button was THE button with that controller layout. Then the N64 came along with a new controller layout and the A button was put in the primary location and B in the secondary, which continued with the Gamecube and Wiimote. But with a return to the SNES-style face-buttons, they're keeping A as the go-to button when B is in the go-to spot!

Also, there are some kids on my lawn I need to go yell at.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES! I grew up on the SNES, and the B button was THE button with that controller layout. Then the N64 came along with a new controller layout and the A button was put in the primary location and B in the secondary, which continued with the Gamecube and Wiimote. But with a return to the SNES-style face-buttons, they're keeping A as the go-to button when B is in the go-to spot!

Also, there are some kids on my lawn I need to go yell at.
Something I hate about all controllers that use abxy is that they are often in different places (is sometime b is on the right other on the bottom)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I hate about all controllers that use abxy is that they are often in different places (is sometime b is on the right other on the bottom)
Damn you, Microsoft. Couldn't you use, like, Greek letters or something instead of wrecking the familiarity people had with the SNES' abxy layout? Sony went with shapes to avoid confusion, but you just had to go out and jumble Nintendo's layout.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k
Damn you, Microsoft. Couldn't you use, like, Greek letters or something instead of wrecking the familiarity people had with the SNES' abxy layout? Sony went with shapes to avoid confusion, but you just had to go out and jumble Nintendo's layout.
Even still Sony uses down as "OK" while Nintendo uses it as "no"

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo must have skipped testing for ergonomics. I mean, they did come out with the Wii U GamePad after all.

Sure they did. They actually made the Wii U gamepad as ergonomic as it was ever really going to be, to the point that during testing, they were actually 3D printing new models and sanding them by hand between revisions.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure they did. They actually made the Wii U gamepad as ergonomic as it was ever really going to be, to the point that during testing, they were actually 3D printing new models and sanding them by hand between revisions.
But it's different, that must mean it's bad!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sega did it first. Remember Dreamcast?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega did it first. Remember Dreamcast?

Wha- What is this "Dreem-kast" you speak of?

:rofl2: In all seriousness, I know it was a great console, and its actually one of my best friends favorite consoles of all time, but it's still really forgettable in the history of console making (other than Sega's doom and exodus)

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wha- What is this "Dreem-kast" you speak of?

:rofl2: In all seriousness, I know it was a great console, and its actually one of my best friends favorite consoles of all time, but it's still really forgettable in the history of console making (other than Sega's doom and exodus)
Well it lasted a lot less than the gcn/Xbox/ps2 and the earlier n64/ps1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: