Sony Warns of Fake, Exploding PS3 Controllers

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Sony issued a consumer alert earlier this week advising all PlayStation 3 owners to only use first-party, genuine PS3 wireless controllers. The company says counterfeit controllers, which look identical in appearance, have been introduced into the market and could explode.

"SCEA advises consumers to be cautious when buying PlayStation 3 wireless controllers from uncertain sources as the quality, reliability and safety of counterfeit products is uncertain, and in some cases, may be dangerous," Sony warns.

"It is possible that some counterfeit product may ignite or explode, resulting in injury or damage to the user, your PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, or other property."

Sony also said it plans to introduce software updates to disable these counterfeit and unlicensed controllers.[/p]Source

Sony does it again.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
As long as they only block counterfeit hardware, I can live with that. After all, consumers get hurt by those too. However, if there's blocking everything from third parties, it would remove one of the pros of the PS3. I love using my good old Logitech Dual Action on my PS3.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is true, good job Sony
yay.gif

If this is just a way to make people buy only Sony products, shame Sony
mad.gif

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How's this sony's fault.
I think it's good that they block them :/
They can save people...

Apple's iPhones tend to be slightly explosive (read, explodes really fast for a mobile phone) too, nobody bitches about that.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I don't want an exploding controller, kthx. If, like it's said in the news, they only block unlicenced controller, that's fine.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically the knockoff controllers at DX and such will be disabled and possible third part ones from madcatz and such

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
tijntje_7 said:
How's this sony's fault.
I think it's good that they block them :/
They can save people...QUOTE(Ritsuki @ Sep 23 2010, 07:32 PM) I don't want an exploding controller, kthx.
This is Sony trying to get more money.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Would blocking unlicensed controllers not be breaking the laws allowing interoperability? Or does that just apply to software?

of course it's illegal and immoral, i am sure a lot of people will stand up and complain about this, i think this really is the last nail in the coffin for sony right now.

QUOTE(prowler_ @ Sep 23 2010, 07:50 PM) This is Sony trying to get more money.

plain and simple, this is the last sony console i buy, i won't put up with this crap anymore.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RebornX said:
stupid move from sony once again why they can t make a system update to disable all the hacks :/
Because that depends on the Developers of the games, not sony. If your talking about PS3 hacking, then sony have already attempted to stop it.

I have a 3rd party controller. :/

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn. Sony you are really fucking with your consumers. Maybe it's just to scare everyone away from using 3rd party ones. Exploding controllers sounds like the video game apocalypse.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guys, this is just about conterfeits, as in clones. Controllers that look exactly the same but didn't come out of sony's factory. Third-Party Controllers will still work fine.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Neko said:
Guys, this is just about conterfeits, as in clones. Controllers that look exactly the same but didn't come out of sony's factory. Third-Party Controllers will still work fine.
Hm, actually I expect Sony to block everything 3rd Party (maybe except brands like Logitech or others who have probably paid them monies) controller just like Microsoft did with the 3rd Party Memory Cards on the 360
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay