FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=99531

So basically Sony says they should win the proverbial crown because they released something nuclear-powered that barely gets really good games that are worth it, and the PSP Go which was doomed from the very beginning. Then they say Nintendo didn't take enough of a risk, when they took the biggest risk out of Sony, Microsoft, and themselves. Dual-Screened + Touchscreen'd handheld. A system that uses motion controls for it's base controller.

I think Sony needs to drop out for a while.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is just still on their high from the PS2 being the highest selling console of all time. They're just trying to find something to wag their cock about, considering the PS3 is getting beaten constantly in sales and the PSP will never rack up to the DS.

The PSP Go is an idea that's ahead of it's time, but they pulled off the idea so stupidly. You don't see Sega cock-wagging about the Dreamcast, which was ahead of its time.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nintendo should go back to being the only hand held thats their spicality nintendo is better at hand held the home consols but both i love

Bently

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony really did fail on the PSPgo.
moogle.gif

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I believe that the iPhone/iPod touch is be selling more and become popular than Nintendo DS and PSP. (BTW. Inside my school, some sudents have iPod touches/iPhones.)

So let's hope for Sony to become a big electronic giant.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PSPgo did fail but selling retail PSP games on the PSN is practically a success especially in Japan because they even cut the price on PSP games even newer ones, example it will cost less to buy Phantasy Star Portable 2 off the PSN than buying a UMD. No going to gamestop or other game retailer of your choice is also a plus for PSP games at least.

Sony has been failing lately but they have their moments of success

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antonkan said:
I believe that the iPhone/iPod touch is be selling more and become popular than Nintendo DS and PSP. (BTW. Inside my school, some sudents have iPod touches/iPhones.)

So let's hope for Sony to become a big electronic giant.

Neither of which are gaming handheld devices. Apple needs to stop trying to do that. Even Microsoft isn't trying to do that... Only reason the iPod sells so much is because it owns 90% of the market. And that's just because the iPod was the first "good" mp3 player out there. Anyway, dis a Sony thread, not an crApple thread.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Hop2089 @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) The PSPgo did fail but selling retail PSP games on the PSN is practically a success especially in Japan because they even cut the price on PSP games even newer ones, example it will cost less to buy Phantasy Star Portable 2 off the PSN than buying a UMD. No going to gamestop or other game retailer of your choice is also a plus for PSP games at least.

Sony has been failing lately but they have their moments of success

That's bad for the actual retail stores though. Gamestop isn't the only place affected. WalMart, KMart, Target, whatever, all lose revenue because of that.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psp is the first handheld thats actually had a sizable chance against nintendo's handhelds. competition is good, keeps prices low
gbasp.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
psp is the first handheld thats actually had a sizable chance against nintendo's handhelds. competition is good, keeps prices low
gbasp.gif

PSP sales: 55.9 million
- Highest selling game: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3.5 million copies)
DS sales: 107.75 million
- Highest selling individual game: New Super Mario Bros (18.45 million)

So close!

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
.Radiant said:
gbasp.gif

So close!

I lol'd at this... PSP came half close to the DS. And it's top game didn't come anywhere NEAR the DS' top game.

Read at your own risk:
Thorium Wars or Dragon Quest Wars + Guitar Rock Tour?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i think sony whould focus on home units and let nintendo dominate the hanghelds becasue sony fails at the psp go the only thing cool is no carrying around umd just hav it on the hard drive

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
.Radiant said:
gbasp.gif

So close!

remember the n-gage? lynx? gamegear? wonderswan? remember all those other handhelds that were completely dominated by nintendo's handheld at the time? they were all shot down not too long after release. maybe due to sony's huge backing but regardless, psp has actually lasted against the DS, its upcoming library is looking pretty promising right now as well. sony's done what many other companies couldn't.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
.Radiant said:
gbasp.gif

So close!
Those numbers dont really matter. The fact that Sony managed to sell at all is success enough.

Just give this a read:
Link

Oh Really?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda have to agree that Nintendo didn't take much of a risk with the Wii. (No I'm not a fanboy for anyone, this is just my opinion)

First, the wii is obviously not aimed toward "hardcore" gamers. (Look at the titles and graphics compared to 360 and ps3) (No I'm not saying that the games are better for those 2, just saying look at the gameplay differences/graphic differences.) Wii is aimed more toward casual gamers.

Second, just because they made a system with motion controls, doesn't mean its a "risk". I mean, how many people do you know that would NOT like motion controls for a video game? Nintendo knew that the Wii would be successful, which is why they made it like they did. The same goes for the DS. Who wouldn't want a handheld with touch screen? I mean, its touch screen! One of the reasons the iPod touch is so popular.

Last, kind of reflecting off the first point, it is pretty obvious Nintendo didn't make the Wii to compete with the 360/ps3. If they did want to, imo, wouldn't they have made AT LEAST hdmi support? Better graphics or something. Sony took a bigger risk with blu ray than Nintendo did with anything on the wii.

I don't even have a ps3 but I can say that nintendo didn't take big risks, they just have know what people will buy.

Again, I am not a sony/microsoft/nintendo fanboy, this is only my OPINION.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Oh Really? said:
Second, just because they made a system with motion controls, doesn't mean its a "risk". I mean, how many people do you know that would NOT like motion controls for a video game? Nintendo knew that the Wii would be successful, which is why they made it like they did. The same goes for the DS. Who wouldn't want a handheld with touch screen? I mean, its touch screen! One of the reasons the iPod touch is so popular.

You must have never been on gamefaqs.

I think Nintendo should release a simillar article. But with Reggie or Cammie this time.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
they massively overrated their ps3 console, who else goes strategical as careless as them, pure sales are meaningless if there are massiv losses linked to it:. the fact that sony isn't only active in console market is their rescue:. if it wouldn't be like that, the ps3 would be their gravestone a bulky glittery one
hope they will learn of their failur:.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh Really? said:
the reason motion controls were a risk is because no other console has used it as a basis of their core controls. it was hard to guage whether people REALLY wanted those controls. i know my friends thought it would be cool to TRY motion controls when the wii was coming out, but none were actually thinking of buying a wii, and none of them did. the ds is also in the same boat. nobody knew what touch screen controls for video games would be like in the long run. the point is, nintendo tries things that nobody has tried over the long run. they're not just dipping their toes but going for a full dive.

i gotta hand it to the pspgo though. sony did take a pretty big risk too, but the key difference is execution and thats why i think it will fail. yes, its pretty far ahead of its time, but so was the wii and ds. the only thing is, they forced us to make such a huge decision, which most people won't put up with, and that's what will lead to its failure in the long run.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a risk that Nintendo released a underpowered motion controlled console and also concentrate on the casual market more than the gamers market. It would have been so easy for Nintendo to give gamers all the games they want butthey decided to go to those who didn't play games. At the time the home console casual market proven a success, sure there has been Eyetoy and that on the PS2 but that wasn't exactly that big and that title was on a console that already had a huge install base.

A lot of people were excited by the motion control concept but a lot were put off by the lack of power the Wii has which makes it so that most multi format releases on the PC/PS3/360 wont appear on the Wii or if they did they wouldn't be the same sort of game.

The 360 has taken a lot of gamers away from Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Still in need of a good laugh? Watch this movie. LMAO! I watched it a few day ago. Hilarious!