Sony tries too hard...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GreatZimkogway, Oct 7, 2009.

1. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    This is what I don't get. I mean, there is a huge lack of kid games for the PS3 that's actually decent, just LittleBigPlanet and Katamriand that's basically it. Mostly M titles. The PS3 and PSP are pretty complicated for kids.

While Wii and the DS is perfect for kids. Simple, lot's of games. Perfect for average and kid people. The only advantage Sony has right now is having hardcore games for older people but it's still a lot more fun for all ages to have a Wii or DS.

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Probably because the PS3 wasn't made for kids. It was made for hardcore gamers who like to blow people up. Shovelware companies aren't going to spend all that money in a system they won't sell well on, not to mention the extra production value of a Bluray disc and what's expected of those games. Not saying that all kids games are shovelware (eve though they are), but you can tell the PS3 is a hardcore gamers system when they market its "family value" as "Well... It can play movies?"

3. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    United States
    The 360 already took that place before the PS3 came out, what Sony should have done is something inbetween which is what the PS2 was sort of like. Of course price did not help one bit.

4. Rykin

Rykin GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2004
    United States
    Baltimore, MD
    Nintendo took a risk just naming their console the "Wii".

5. GreatZimkogway
    OP

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    Not really. I'm guessing Japan doesn't follow the same slang we do, and the Wii originates there, just like almost anything Nintendo.

PS: To the person who posted the GameBoy Murderer link, I lol'd heavily at it. It was either an incredibly biased article, or it was just stupid.
    Scary, seems I talk more civilly after a real, goodnight's sleep....strange...

6. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008
    The fact that Nintendo products is aimed for literally ALL age groups gives it an upper hand. Lets face it, little kiddos couldn't care less about graphics, blu-ray, blue-tooth, video streaming and all that shiny new stuff that sony offers. The majority want to have fun, not be technical.

7. alidsl

alidsl I am now a lurker

May 27, 2009
    Kanto - Pallet Town
    My sister is 8 and she loves the PS3 (though I trash her at most games [​IMG] )

8. Canonbeat234

Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Sep 24, 2008
    From the times I had grown up with Nintendo from the NES, N64 (Yeah I know I never had a SNES), Gamecube, and now the Wii. Nintendo always adapt to changes which makes them be in risk all the time. Nintendo's successful products were really the handhelds then the consoles. The point is Nintendo never thought of anything different from their main mission; to get ppl to enjoy Nintendo. Nintendo never tried something that will jeopardize their company, however they always did something that will make nintendo fanboys look at the product and criticize at it but in the end, it turns out it's a success all along.

Sony believes from their success on the PS2 is that many games coming out from their still makes them better than Nintendo which in reality it doesn't. I mean if the PS2 gets played out then what's going to happen to the poor sales of the PS3 and PSPGo. They knew the PSP was bombing from the beginning and the example was look how many revisions of the PSP came out compare to the DS.

9. Cermage

Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 2, 2007
    there's only one more

ds phat
    ds lite
    dsi

psp1000
    psp2000
    psp3000
    pspgo.

the dsphat is an abomination. ninty covered that up quickly with release of the lite. sony kept constantly improving (or downgrading on how you see it) the psp.

10. lookout

lookout GBAtemp Board Room

Aug 16, 2006
    United Kingdom
  11. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    [​IMG] hahahahahaha. OMG that killed me! lol

12. worlok375

worlok375 GBAtemp's prince

Feb 17, 2009
    United States
    ^ It's OVER NINE THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND+

13. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Artistically tragic

Hopefully the consumer will either 1. skip the PSPgo and get the PS3 which is $1 more but the better investment or 2. Find and purchase a PSP-3000 for near half the price.

The close price range make this scenario sad and tragic, not to mention illustrates Sony's recent absolute failures.

14. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    So the DS selling so much...made it an abomination? Was it the low backlight? Who cares. It's all the SP had at the time too. It was a full 2 years after the DS Original that the Lite was released. And about 2-2.5 years between the DSLite and the DSi. I don't call that "an abomination. ninty covered that up quickly with release of the lite".

It was 2 years between the 1000 and the 2000. Why? Because the 1000 sucked ass. And then only a single year between 2000 and 3000. Japan never got that or 2000, probably because it sold so poorly compared to the DS. And then only a year between the 3000 and the failure that we have to call the PSPGo. Japan probably isn't getting that either.

Face it, Nintendo did much better then them, and you can't really call something successful(the original DS) an abomination. Not when it sells as much as it did.

PS: There weren't that many "improvements" in the PSP.

15. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Japan is getting the PSPfail next month, the unit will most likely sell like hotcakes however it could fail there I hope, but the Japanese have the advantage of cheaper PSP games at the PS store which America doesn't as I've said before.

16. anaxs

anaxs got milk, got candy

Mar 23, 2009
    Canada
    your moms jeans pocket
    yeh ur right, sony is getting pwned by nintendo and sometimes even by micro soft
    but ps3 is awesome i cant lie about that
    some of the games on it are just awesome so u have to give sony some credit

17. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    Uh, no I don't? The only game I'd get a PSP for right now is...um...I can only think of Birth by Sleep...can't really think of anything else... PS3 has absolutely nothing... Sony's the one in "3rd Place", yet saying they should win. Big words for a losing company.

18. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    To get good PSP games you have to import, the PSP is region free for a reason.

19. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    I like being able to actually understand the games I play, thanks.

20. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I'm failing to see people's obsession with things being small. Not a whole lot of people are like "YES! MY PENIS IS SMALL!", yet when it comes to phones, iPods, gaming systems, it's all about whatever is easier to lose and less noticable.

And it usually hurts in the end. Want to know why the DS Lite is so much "liter"? Because they took out all that "useless stuff" that made your system not break down in 2 years. Sure, my DS Phat is bulky and makes me look like more a retard when it bulges awkwardly out of my pocket, but it least I can say I've had it for 4 years and it works just as well since day 1, unlike the people who buy DS Lites that break down in 2 years.

The PSP Go just seems like the PSP with a shitty selection of games (the original PSP actually has a decent selection of games, even coming from a DS owner), shitty safety precautions (pretty much one decent sized drop and that thing is reduced to paperweight status), and no backward compatibility. And they jack up the price for it.

Brilliant move!