Sony to start limiting game sharing as of this month

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm trying to get my head around this. One psn account, which now can only be share between 2 psp , 2 ps3 and (I'm guessing) 2 psv?
Which I believe is to stop abusing of sharing games, so people will buy there own. At the same time give more reason for cfw user to
still use cfw (for what ever reason) making it seem like is just hurting legit users.

I see...

Missing anything?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can really lend digital content.

I was under this impression. For example, my friend recovered his Xbox Live account on another friend's hard drive and Xbox. He then downloaded all the Mass Effect 2 DLC for my other friend to use. But the DLC is tied to his account and my friend couldn't access it on my other account.

I'm not quite sure the reasoning behind this. I don't understand how the PSN works in regards to accounts and compared to Xbox Live for example so I'll be relatively quiet on this one.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Cause they are limited on how many devices that can be connected to there account?

Because I own 2 PS3s, 2 PSPs, and will own 2 PSVs?

Is this simultaneous or lifetime limits? Like if I kept breaking my PSP, could I just keep transferring my account to a newer model, or could I only do this twice? If it's the former then I don't see the issue.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Is this simultaneous or lifetime limits? Like if I kept breaking my PSP, could I just keep transferring my account to a newer model, or could I only do this twice? If it's the former then I don't see the issue.
You can deactivate any system online, so it's about as many times as you would like.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can deactivate any system online, so it's about as many times as you would like.

Oh, then there's no issue unless you want to whine about Sony doing anything.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

If you do not have access to a previously activated system to deactivate it, contact our Consumer Services department so we can review your case.
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=796

rpspartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got some mixed feelings on this. I won't lie some friends and I would share PSN content all over the place,and it really helped us save money. I know Sony's just trying to protect themselves/get more money, but coming from some one who I guess you could say abused this feature it's a bit irritating.

Also for the people who are saying 2 PS3's 2 PSP's and 2 PSV's it's 2 PORTABLE systems which means 1 PSV and 1 PSP.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

If you do not have access to a previously activated system to deactivate it, contact our Consumer Services department so we can review your case.
http://us.playstatio...ex.htm?a_id=796
You can deactivate a system on Qriocity.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

http://us.playstatio...ex.htm?a_id=796
You can deactivate a system on Qriocity.
Yeah. Too bad it's "unavailable in my country".

Absurd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been game sharing with a mate almost since the system launched in the UK back in March 07, has saved us both a lot of money considering the amount of content we've bought between us so I can't really complain nor can I see it affecting either of us as neither of us is intending on buying a Vita for the foreseeable future and if you want PSP games, well, that's what UseNet's for :)

I can't believe this has come from a high up in SONY, I imagine this has come about because of developer and distributor complaints. As others have pointed out, if a game is sold in the Xbox Live Marketplace it is tied to a single machine which = kerching $$$/£££ for the developer, that's the reason why there are far more games to d/l for the 360, each sale guarantees at least some money to the developer.

It's a shame but as others have said before me it's surprising it's been allowed to continue this long.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say i blame sony for this move. They are a company after all.

Back in the days with a single n64 cartridge that i bought i ended up playing like 20+ other games by trading with friends

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Be it physical or digital, when you buy something it should be yours. Paying something that is not yours is called renting.

So why buy something if its still owned by someone else? Lower the price otherwise this doesnt make any sense.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I disapprove. Till I can backup my DLC only (System backups don't count) and not require a reactivation (System backups require reactivation), every step Sony takes to further reduce the rights of the end user will be nothing more than another attempt to leech more money from the users.

That said, I have CFW on my PS3. For now, backing up my DLC consists of saving the act.dat file and the DLC,

I've never agreed with DLC, unfortunately more and more game studios are selling their games half completed on purpose. For this reason, I support GOTY editions by buying it and nothing else DLC like. Disgaea 3 DLC was a one time thing and taught me the evils of DLC.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good...