• Thread starter Zorua
  • Start date
  • Views 5,304
  • Replies 67
Z

Zorua

OP
sony-ngp_1.jpg
Reality is becoming a bit more virtual, thanks to Sony and its NGP. The Nintendo 3DS will bring AR gaming to handhelds first when it ships on 27 March – but Sony Computer Entertainment director, Tsutomu Horikawa, says the Sony NGP (Next Generation Portable) will take it even further.

After revealing a 20-foot-tall T-Rex at the conference (virtually) he announced that gamers will have a “Near” function that uses 3G to enable location-based gaming, including real-world treasure hunts (virtual treasure only for now). Those without 3G will be located using Skyhook, a service that uses wireless hotspots to pinpoint their location.

Get used to living life through a camera, as the NGP will be able to capture real-life textures for use in games like LittleBigPlanet. There’s even a passive camera for snapping your mug shot and putting your head on an avatar.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Does this Augmented Reality really interest that many people? I don't see myself playing with it much. You know... With there being games to play, music to listen, and an internet browser.

I'm still waiting on this thing's official price tag to see if it's all worth it.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony Should Just Give up on the Handhelds
No Handheld can beat Nintendo's Handhelds
AR? they stole that idea from nintendo but thats just my opinion :/

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Cuelhu said:
bowser said:
It will be really interesting once they add collision detection between the virtual and real world objects.
3DS already has this "collision detection" thing.

typo
I had no clue about this! O_O

My eyes were already set on the 3DS anyway. AR doesn't matter much to me, just the games I enjoy. After owning a PSP once before I know I won't make the same mistake.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
XXLANCEXX said:
PSP has AR. See Invizimals which works really well for what it is.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
XXLANCEXX said:

That's exactly what I was going to write.
All Sony EVER does is steal ideas.
So Nintendo sells Kinect to MS, then Sony makes a motion system that uses both a motion-sensing remote and a camera? PS Move? Seriously? Kinect + Wii much?
And then there's even the touch screen! (Nintendo DS)
But now, they've taken it too far with AR. -.-

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Zorua said:
Those without 3G will be located using Skyhook, a service that uses wireless hotspots to pinpoint their location.

Doomed to fail....

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
XXLANCEXX said:

That's exactly what I was going to write.
All Sony EVER does is steal ideas.
So Nintendo sells Kinect to MS, then Sony makes a motion system that uses both a motion-sensing remote and a camera? PS Move? Seriously? Kinect + Wii much?
And then there's even the touch screen! (Nintendo DS)
But now, they've taken it too far with AR. -.-
Well I don't know about that. Touch Screens seems to be the way to go these days. Sure the DS was the big gaming handheld with it but taking a look at phones and specifically Apple products, it wasn't hard to catch on to this piece. They bring a bit more functionality to games and other software so it's not like they're stealing anything but instead they're catching up with times.
I still don't like the whole stealing Motion Sensor thing... One of the gaming companies usually pave the way and others catch on. I.E. Sony Playstation starts the whole utilization with discs (iirc...) and now all of these systems use discs. I see that as being no different from Nintendo putting out Motion Sensitive controls and others following.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bowser said:
emigre said:
Ah the Ninty Fanboys have arrived!
Your avatar perfectly matches that comment!
rofl.gif

But the fanboys speak the truth!
laugh.gif
What truth? It's natural for a company to steal ideas. Their main goal, always will, and always has been, to make money, and if touch screen is what makes people interested, then why not? It can only improve sales (unless they make it over priced) and I'm sure that eye pets used Augmented Reality, or something of the sort, so they didn't steal that idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again