• Likes 4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
$300 for a last gen console seems kind of high but hopefully they know what they are doing

Actually the regular Slim dropped to $250 somewhat recently.
Yeppers, but that's the 160GB model AFAIK.

Slim 160 GB - $250
Slim 320 GB - $300
Super Slim 250 GB - $270
Super Slim 500GB - $300

As I said - seems legit. The Super Slim model costs less to manufacture, so it gets a bigger hard drive to reach the $300 price mark. I just hope they plan on bundling some goodies with the Slims sometime in the future, unless they're planning to sell the two designs at the same time rather than having the Super Slim take over.

As far as Valwin's comment is concerned - so-far, the PS3 is a current-gen system, there are no next-gen systems available yet. The WiiU will be released soon, but it's not out yet, plus the PS4 and the NextBox aren't even on the horizon yet. We can't speak of the PS3 as a last-gen system - it has no successor

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the new PS3 model getting packed in with Uncharted 3 and Dust 514 content as well? That certainly gives the consumer more bang for their buck.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two packages as far as I have seen; the one Gahars listed and an Assassin's Creed 3 package.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the new PS3 model getting packed in with Uncharted 3 and Dust 514 content as well? That certainly gives the consumer more bang for their buck.

Well Sony has said its strategy isn't to drop prices, but add more to their consoles. Like the Vita price isn't dropping but they're offering some pretty nice bundles. Like $250 for Assassin's Creed: Liberation bundle. It's basically $210 for the system.

Reactions: 1 person

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well Sony has said its strategy isn't to drop prices, but add more to their consoles. Like the Vita price isn't dropping but they're offering some pretty nice bundles. Like $250 for Assassin's Creed: Liberation bundle. It's basically $210 for the system.
They are also offering the 4GB sticks again (after they removed it) so it's like $190. (Depending on how much a new one goes).

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They are also offering the 4GB sticks again (after they removed it) so it's like $190. (Depending on how much a new one goes).
Also some stores might offer gift cards and minor bonuses(gamestop) so depending on where you buy it can have a higher value.

Reactions: Rasas

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Could be they have many parts left over of the old slim and want to use them out.
I think of the Super Slim as a "budget" version of the PS3 - knowing life, Slim will be sold until they empty their parts warehouses. By that time, the PS4 will be either well-into production or on the shelves already.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The new Super Slim model appears to be considerably cheaper than the previous two models.
I mean it actually looks cheap and nasty, all things considered they should try passing those savings onto the customer, at LEAST sell the inferior product for a little cheaper than the slim model.

Europe is getting a 12gb Super Slim for £185, and a 500gb Super Slim for £250. Aside from that being a huge storage space discrepancy for the price difference, it's insane when the 160gb Slim PS3 also sells for £185 on Amazon. The Slim only comes in 160gb and 320gb however, so the Super Slim with 500gb capacity is the biggest yet.
As far as I can tell there is no 250gb Super Slim in Europe, only in America.

So for the same price, you get a redesigned PS3 that has considerably less storage space and of cheaper design.
Sony are cutting costs and not passing any savings onto the consumer, they're desperate to make more money on the systems.

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sometimes I question where they get their consumer responses/reviews/comments from since all I read and hear is the opposite of what consumers/targeted audience really want.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pretty sure that the 12GB Super Slim has some sort of a Flash-based internal storage rather than a standard HDD, hence the price.
That seems off, I seriously doubt a 12gb NAND storage is comparable to a 160gb HDD.
Hmm actually then again I do expect both of these to be fairly cheap these days, and NAND costs more than HDDs.

I'm just thinking how 12gb is pretty small as NAND goes these days, when you consider iPhone capacities.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pretty sure that the 12GB Super Slim has some sort of a Flash-based internal storage rather than a standard HDD, hence the price.
That seems off, I seriously doubt a 12gb NAND storage is comparable to a 160gb HDD.
Hmm actually then again I do expect both of these to be fairly cheap these days, and NAND costs more than HDDs.

I'm just thinking how 12gb is pretty small as NAND goes these days, when you consider iPhone capacities.
The WiiU's base model offers 8GB, so 12 isn't that bad, apparently. Of course to me such a small internal drive capacity on a console is silly, but here's for hoping that Sony plans to add external HDD support, or at least facilitate adding an HDD.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12GB wouldn't be bad if so many PS3 games didn't have huge installs and updates you need to store. But it does.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
12GB wouldn't be bad if so many PS3 games didn't have huge installs and updates you need to store. But it does.
The 12GB model can be fitted with a hard drive if needs-be - there's a slot for one. Doing so disables the 12GB flash storage as far as I know.

As said earlier, treat this like a budget PS3 - mostly for multimedia purposes and some smaller games, but nothing really serious.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1