Sony Constantly Hacked, Reasons?

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, the reason is obvious. Osama Bin Laden once said that he would destroy America by bankrupting it, right? That's what all these hackers are after too, except they're trying to bankrupt Sony instead. Of course, that just goes to prove how moronic they all are - if Sony dies, gaming will be dealt a slow and painful death as well. Most developers will have their profit margins cut in at least half, causing them to either scrap most of their projects or severely scale them back, tens of millions of people will no longer buy video game consoles because of the bad press all these hackers are getting Sony... Once Sony is gone and the market is diving, Microsoft will leave as well because there's no profit to be made. Then Nintendo will die out because the market they sustained for so long can no longer be sustained by them alone.

It'll be 1983 all over again, but rather than having Atari to blame we'll have self-righteous fools who think running companies into the ground actually benefits anyone. How many people have lost their jobs, how many will lose their jobs? I'm not on about the executives, I mean normal people who have normal jobs within Sony to support their normal families. How many lives will hackers destroy before they completely destroy Sony?

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's wierd how you forgot to mention:
It only does sue you.

.. A.k.a, the reason Sony is being attacked, is because people feel it's time for revenge, and take Sony down for suing people for no genuine reason, also want and having access to IP's and personal data to users who viewed a specific video, and visited a specific website.

Period.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Naridar said:
Revenge is an important factor here, as much as hackers wanting to show that if Sony messes with them (by sueing Geohot), they can mess with Sony in a bigger way. Geohot was fined $25000 AFAIK, whereas the costs and etc. of the PSN shutdown, security checks and updates are already WAY beyond that. After all, I think hackers are looking for a way to stop Sony from "playing unfair" (as in, taking the entire mess to court instead of countering hackers they way they want to be countered: security updates, etc.), and of course, protect themselves by instilling fear in Sony, that in turn, would discourage them from sueing another PS3 hacker.
Interesting... makes me want to take your side as well. Also, I also hate Sony, but not so much as this. I never knew there were so many Sony haters.

Makar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's because of three reasons:

1. Hackers found out how easy it was to attack them.
2. Revenge for the GeoHot incident.
3. Personal Gain

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
Mantis41 said:
It seems like a case of "How much financial damage are the current hackers, piraters causing?" VS "How much damage are they capable of causing?"

In Sony's case it appears as if they are finding out the latter.

...A can equal B, but B does not equal A all the time. Being a pirate does not make you a hacker. Being a hacker often will make you a pirate. Thus your statement is...invalid.

I think it was just some disgruntled people/group(s) that decided to see just how far they could really go.
You lost me there. There are no comparatives in the original statement so therefore there can be no true or false applied to the statement.

Anyway....... For what its worth........

Law makers a long time ago realised you can not apply too stringent set of rules on the population or unrest, rioting and anarchy ensue. Governments understand this. A degree of order is maintained but they realise whenever too much control has been attempted in the past uprising will result. Human nature is to seek a degree of freedom regardless of the right or wrong of the actions to gain it.

Governments understand this yet some corporations seem to be a bit slow on the uptake. Microsoft seem to get it. They have made things difficult but have not applied the maximum measures they could have been legally granted. I guess Sony are learning the hard way.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it looks to me like the last 2 aren't related to the first 2. PSN got hacked because a bunch of nobodies from 4chan kept attacking it and a hacker just used the calamity to obtain personal gain for himself knowing that he would be almost impossible to track down with a plethora of "heroes" as they call them *barfs* from 4chan called "anons" which is just shortened anonymous trolling the PSN servers after the geohot kid, whom I've been told was mearely a hack and used other people's ideas/sources to crack the ps3 anyway, settled with Sony over some kind of jailreak or whatever (I don't know much, I'm by no means a sony fanboy nor do I own/care about sony ps3 in general)

But what I meant by my initial sentence is that the last 2 hacks don't appear to be from these weirdo "anons" or related to the PSN breach and such. It looks like one or both were rooted out by a worm that was just looking for sites that could be easily broken into. And at least one of the worms wasn't targeting Sony. it was just looking for any web site that it could exploit.

But all my speculation doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything..doesn't offer anything of any value. I'm just glad that I didn't get into the whole sony playstation 3 field (nor 4chan in general..that place makes me want to vomit)

ah well...

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its both, revenge and somewhat lame security.

They do seem to have some problem with how secure their system is but the hate they created with their action and stance against many things like piracy, homebrew etc.. just blown this out of proportion and gave lots of steam to the movement.

So yes they need to improve and yes they had it coming in a way.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Makar said:
I think it's because of three reasons:

1. Hackers found out how easy it was to attack them.
2. Revenge for the GeoHot incident.
3. Personal Gain
Maybe they are just bored.

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is their fault for not implementing strong security, instead they were being lazy, etc. If the network didn't come back on, there would be PS3's up the ass in Pawnshops, etc. I heard the Playstation Store was coming back near the end of the month, is this true as a US date and not international?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Twoacross said:
It is their fault for not implementing strong security, instead they were being lazy, etc. If the network didn't come back on, there would be PS3's up the ass in Pawnshops, etc. I heard the Playstation Store was coming back near the end of the month, is this true as a US date and not international?
As far as I know, PSN store was meant to be up today, but its not up.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
if Sony dies, gaming will be dealt a slow and painful death as well.

The notion that Sony of all companies would be the one to bring about the gaming apocalypse is, quite frankly, stupid. Sony dying will NOT kill gaming; all the CoDfags will just bugger off to Microsoft, as will all the truly obsessed gamers, which is all Sony has(all the casuals play Wii). Sony is about equal to Sega at this point; a bloated, dying whale that needs to either come under new leadership(*coughlikewhathappenedtonintendocough*), or pass on and not make a lick of difference in the long run; another company will fill the void just as always and life will go on.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Actually, the reason is obvious. Osama Bin Laden once said that he would destroy America by bankrupting it, right? That's what all these hackers are after too, except they're trying to bankrupt Sony instead. Of course, that just goes to prove how moronic they all are - if Sony dies, gaming will be dealt a slow and painful death as well. Most developers will have their profit margins cut in at least half, causing them to either scrap most of their projects or severely scale them back, tens of millions of people will no longer buy video game consoles because of the bad press all these hackers are getting Sony... Once Sony is gone and the market is diving, Microsoft will leave as well because there's no profit to be made. Then Nintendo will die out because the market they sustained for so long can no longer be sustained by them alone.

It'll be 1983 all over again, but rather than having Atari to blame we'll have self-righteous fools who think running companies into the ground actually benefits anyone. How many people have lost their jobs, how many will lose their jobs? I'm not on about the executives, I mean normal people who have normal jobs within Sony to support their normal families. How many lives will hackers destroy before they completely destroy Sony?
I doubt it. Similar to SEGA, if Sony drops out a new company will join the triumvirate.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
No no they tried to troll and failed miserably, so they lost billions of dollars. And why is everyone inclined to this topic? Rest of the forum looks dead.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I hear this all the time.
"If Sony dies, game profits would be cut in half"
Yes, my friend. Two gaming platforms minus one gaming platform equals one gaming platform. One is half of two.

Have you actually thought about this, beyond kindergarten level arithmetic? Say Sony dies, right? What do the Sony fans do? Do they just say "Oh well. Time to give up gaming forever", or do they, you know, switch to one of that platforms that's left?

If Sony dies, Sony games will split off between Xbox and Nintendo. In house devs will be bought out and profitrs will continue, after a period of adjustment, just as normal.

I imagine another company will probably jump in some time later, just as happened with Sega.

And life goes on.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
If Sony dies, Sony games will split off between Xbox and Nintendo. In house devs will be bought out and profitrs will continue, after a period of adjustment, just as normal.
no they wont
it's sony's choice if they want to sell off their exclusives

this isnt the same situation as sega where they had to do that to stay afloat

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems interesting that people attribute this to revenge for Geohot's court case - the history of Sony treating its customers like dog-dirt goes way back. Remember when Sony deliberately and with malice aforethought infected people's PCs with a rootkit malware that in some cases actually prevented them from using their optical drives? Sony did that because they believed anyone with a PC was a pirate.

What about the ongoing fiasco of custom PSP firmwares vs Sony's updates? They lost that one, but never before have I seen a company take such an active and aggressive stance against people running whatever software they like on hardware they own. That was because everyone that bought a PSP was automatically considered to be a pirate by Sony.

And of course there was this whole Geohot thing - OtherOS was removed because (yes, you guessed right) Sony believes that all PS3 owners that want to run another alternate OS on their PS3 is a pirate. They believe that so much that when their incompetence is uncovered and publicised they sued the first guy to shout about it. And then demanded that they be given the private details of anyone that listened to him.

That's the kind of company that Sony have become. I can see this going one of two ways - Sony either continues on and eventually folds, or they change their attitudes and open up their hardware in a similar manner to the way that Microsoft has with XNA. You never know, the upshot of all this might be that the new NGEN handheld is open for home development. I doubt it because so far Sony seem incapable of learning, but you never know...

And even if Sony do go to the wall, it's all to the good - someone else, more competent can take over. Fresh competition is always a good thing. It certainly won't be like this mythical "video games crash" you all seem to have imagined. On that note, I was ten years old at the time and I recall seeing shelves and shelves of new video games released every week from 1982 until about 1989/1990, possibly beyond. Home computer games took off during this time, they certainly didn't crash. At least, not here in the UK...

D.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS IS ALL MICROSOFT'S FAULT! THEY IZ MEZZING WITH DA PSNZ CAUSE THEYZ GOLD MEMBAZSHIP IS ALL DOWNZ!
lecture.gif
END //TROLLING

PSN-Outage.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE