Homebrew Sonic mania port to wii u

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think the wii u creates one, i dont remember seeing it but i could be wrong and yeah, it covers all that stuff. Haven't tinkered with them yet as I'm happy with how it looks on gamepad.

There's also a mod option but not sure whats available and if they work. Anyone tried this at all?
Niether the Wii U nor the Vita version created the settings.ini file for me by default, you had to copy it yourself, @SonicMastr (aka the guy who compiled the Vita version) is the one who taught me about using the settings file to change the username.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone test these? I've been sitting on these for a while, so they're not up-to-date. these are two I compiled a long time ago. I think the linux elf is the linux build, not sure exactly because all of these are elfs before being encrypted.

I don't have an exploited switch to even test nro files. as with the sonic mania builds, I'm not supplying the oot.otr/assets' files, so you'll have to get that yourself. I don't know where that goes for either build either, but you all probably know. also, @V10lator , I was unable to upload the tar for the linux build. it's not one of the compatible file formats, unless you wanted a tar within a zip, which I had, but it seemed redundant, so I just zipped it only.

Attachments

• soh (linux).zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • soh (switch).zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 22

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@godreborn just checked the allowed file extensions and 7z is supported which should be able to save and restore Unix FS permissions, too. No need to repack/reupload now, just for the next time. It's really annoying having to restore executable permissions manually (cause default for new files is not executable for security reasons). ;)

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn just checked the allowed file extensions and 7z is supported which should be able to save and restore Unix FS permissions, too. No need to repack/reupload now, just for the next time. It's really annoying having to restore executable permissions manually (cause default for new files is not executable for security reasons). ;)
I didn't realize that. thanks, I'll upload in .7z from now on.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, @V10lator , I tried that method you posted the link of. I kept getting a "connection refused, failed to initiate" error no matter, which method I used. I installed like a few hundred MBs of the linux versions of well-known apps on windows. unfortunately, it could never detect display 0, and I did add it it to my bash.rc, so I have no idea what the problem was. I just uninstalled the apps for windows to use with unity.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
connection refused
Is VcXsrv up & running on the Windows side? The linux graphic stack should connect to an Xserver (VcXsrc) on Windows which then renders like a native Winows app. In case everything is setup correctly maybe try the real IP of your PC (Windows side) instead of 127.0.0.1 or maybe WSL needs some special setting. Can't really help with that as I never did such a setup for myself.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is VcXsrv up & running on the Windows side? The linux graphic stack should connect to an Xserver (VcXsrc) on Windows which then renders like a native Winows app. In case everything is setup correctly maybe try the real IP of your PC (Windows side) instead of 127.0.0.1 or maybe WSL needs some special setting. Can't really help with that as I never did such a setup for myself.
yeah, something must not be set up correctly. I usually open the .bashrc through windows instead of nano, just more convenient or used to it, but I did try exporting the display through terminal, but it made no difference. I didn't really intend to use it beyond testing builds instead of having to rely on someone with full linux. my next pc may be full linux, not sure. I'm getting better at it every day, but I'm still a noob at linux terminal.

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, that pc port at least of sonic mania is the 32 bit version. I didn't build the 64 bit version, because I didn't want to. :P there's four game.dll versions on the official github, and I think you need to keep everything 32 bit or the game won't run, probably won't even compile, because you have to compile several other things in 32 or 64 bit.

Reactions: sonictopfan

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the delay but as requested, here are the separate vanilla and plus forwarders using @NinStar s images. I used the same method as before as my pc is a dick I'm afraid so they are silent upon booting and they both point to - sd:/wiiu/apps/sonicmania/sonicmania.rpx (as before, rename your folder and rpx if you use the plus version)

Edit....

Deleted until fixed I'm afraid

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it works on windows 7? on windows 10, if you don't have the rsdk, it will either refuse to open with no error iirc or if you try to debug it in visual studio, it will open to either a black or white screen and nothing will happen.
Yep managed to get it running on windows 7 32bt :yay:

El_Misterioso

CIA Agent
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Disculpe la demora, pero según lo solicitado, aquí están los reenviadores Vanilla y Plus separados que usan las imágenes de @NinStar. Utilicé el mismo método que antes, ya que mi PC es un idiota, me temo que están en silencio al arrancar y ambos apuntan a - sd:/wiiu/apps/sonicmania/sonicmania.rpx (como antes, cambie el nombre de su carpeta y rpx si usa la versión plus)

Una vez que haya ordenado esto e instalado Docker, planeo hacer un comentario sobre cómo hacer esto para que cualquiera pueda intentarlo. Pero mientras tanto....
in which file do I change the name of my rpx

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
in which file do I change the name of my rpx
You change the name of the rpx, not some reference to it...? In other words:
sd:/wiiu/apps/sonicmania/sonicmania.rpx (as before, rename your folder and rpx if you use the plus version)

//EDIT: Or do you want to make a forwarder for some completely unrelated project? In that case... I won't repeat myself over and over again anymore, so wait for the guide of @Lostbhoy

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You change the name of the rpx, not some reference to it...? In other words:
I don't speak the language in his quote, but it looks like something about installing docker. @El_Misterioso I compiled the plus version for all of these builds, and the plus version for the wii u just came out as sonicmania.rpx iirc. it goes from elf2rpl iirc is the name of the file that converts elf to rpx, and the make file is what determines the outgoing name, so there won't be any reason to change the name, not even adding plus.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@godreborn I'm not speaking spain either but you can just follow the link of the quote to get the english original text.

Other than that please do not missinterpret what elf2rpx does: It does not magically transform a .elf homebrew into a .rpx! To understand this more you need to understand what a .elf and what a .rpx file really is as well as how Wii U homebrews evolved:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format
https://github.com/yawut/ProgrammingOnTheU
... there are more links describing this but I can't find them real quick and want to go to bed now.

Reactions: niuus and godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe