Sonic Mania - Chemical Plant Zone revealed

Coming hot off the heels of the Sonic Mania pre-order trailer that was released just a week ago, SEGA have shown off gameplay footage for another throwback stage for Sonic Mania, this time Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992).

Although footage from Act 1 of the stage shows a faithful re-imagining of the original zone - Act 2 footage posted on the Sonic the Hedgehog YouTube channel shows a radical departure and a range of new stage gimmicks, including an incredible music remix from Tee Lopes.

Check the footage out above and let us know what you think. (And yes I will be posting every little update there is to this game - get hype!)

:arrow: Sonic Mania - Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 Gameplay

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o hell yeah, if it was that :wub: ty for sharing that
Just discovered that cover a month ago or so. Guy who did it also did a swing version of Castlevania called Swinglevania. He seems to branch out into different musical styles, though, so the rest of his repertoire may be hit-or-miss based on the style he's going for. Personally, I think his Prancing Dad (Final Fantasy) and Mighty Wings (Top Gun) are pretty good.

Öhr

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain to me the appeal of 2D Sonic games? Based on the 2D sonic games I tried years ago (dunno which, friends house), I get the feeling that these games are of poor design:
Foreground, where one can land/run/walk is hard to distinguish from tubes, other elements and sometimes even the background.
The camera was horrible, as Sonic is always dead center and you cannot see very far, thus you dunno what will come next. how can one be fast, if there are spikes, enemies and so on popping in, leaving no time to react? Do you need to remember the levels by heart in order to get good?
Thus, there is rarely any flow, with a confusing level design (where does one have to go? always to the very right like in mario?). And even if there is some fast paced movement, its more or less "automated" with jumppads and linear leveldesign.

I just don't get this game series... What is it trying to be? Am I completely misunderstanding the gameplay?

P.S. I am not trying to start a flamewar, i just want to understand what the appeal...

Reactions: DSPresents

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...