Sonic creator Yuji Naka Wants To Make a New Console

  • Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,565
  • Replies 21
D

Deleted User

Guest
OP
Sour-ce
screenshot_238896_thumb300.jpg


QUOTE(yuji naka/cvg) said:
No messing about, let's get straight to it: Sonic creator Yuji Naka told CVG this morning, "I'm hoping to work on Dreamcast 2".

Speaking in London during his promo tour for Ivy the Kiwi?, the Prope boss made the surprising confession that he'd like to work with one of the three platform holders as an "advisor" in the future.

"I do miss those old days when I was heavily involved in hardware making at Sega," Naka told CVG. "I was involved in most of the consoles and controllers that Sega came up with.

"If I have the opportunity in the future I want to be involved again with hardware making," he said. "It would be ideal if I could become some sort of advisor working with the platform makers in future.

"I think if I can work really well with the platform makers then it's good for everyone, because I can then come up with totally new games.

"If Ivy the Kiwi? does well in Europe then maybe I can make Dreamcast 2 (laughs)," he joked, but with a deadly serious undertone:

"Of course Dreamcast was my baby back at Sega and I want to carry on making good games for the European market and one day I'm hoping it gives me the opportunity to work on Dreamcast 2."

Megaton. Come on then platform holders, sign him up.

Ivy the Kiwi? is set to land in the UK on October 29.
 

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,349
Country
United States
And I'm sure the Shenmue guys wanted to make Shenmue III but that ain't gonna happen.

The Dreamcast, while considered a great system that was ahead of its time in retrospect, still sold very poorly. About 10 million worldwide sales. Even the second-to-last finisher that gen, the Gamecube, sold more than twice that amount. And with Sega being a major publisher now and out of the hardware business there's no reason to make another console. If they want to make Sonic Adventure 3 or Shenmue III they'll be on the Xbox or Playstation (probably not a Nintendo system though, just saying).
 

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
2,242
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Virginia
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
105
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
If they want to make Sonic Adventure 3 or Shenmue III they'll be on the Xbox or Playstation (probably not a Nintendo system though, just saying).

Meh. Sonic has sold better on Nintendo consoles, and I think they think that the PS3/360 crowd is still kinda put-off by Sonic 06....

Shenmue probably, though, but that's not gonna happen.
 

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
16,991
Trophies
3
Age
43
XP
5,054
Country
United States
So someone who isn't working for Sega wants to make Dreamcast 2 with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

So it wont be Dreamcast 2 at all then...and he'll only be advising even if they want him.

Title changed.
 

SamAsh07

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
2,696
Trophies
0
Age
34
Location
Bahrain
XP
621
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dreamcast 2 lol, with HD graphics and 3D capability, now if that were to happen, we could have more gaming console clashes!! but alas, this is not even a rumour, just a random thought by Yuji Naka...
 

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,349
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
The actual boss of Sega is an stupid guy who thinks Sega MUST develop only software.

Besides, Yuji Naka leaved Sega some time ago.

Hey, if your consoles sold as badly as the Saturn and Dreamcast did then you'd have the same mindset as the head honcho at Sega.

For the record Sega has published some great titles since their switch to publishing.
 

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
1,665
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
SEGA's World
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
263
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Juanmatron said:
The actual boss of Sega is an stupid guy who thinks Sega MUST develop only software.

Besides, Yuji Naka leaved Sega some time ago.

Hey, if your consoles sold as badly as the Saturn and Dreamcast did then you'd have the same mindset as the head honcho at Sega.

For the record Sega has published some great titles since their switch to publishing.

http://gbatemp.net/t253417-bernie-stolar-t...about-dreamcast
 

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,349
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Juanmatron said:
The actual boss of Sega is an stupid guy who thinks Sega MUST develop only software.

Besides, Yuji Naka leaved Sega some time ago.

Hey, if your consoles sold as badly as the Saturn and Dreamcast did then you'd have the same mindset as the head honcho at Sega.

For the record Sega has published some great titles since their switch to publishing.

http://gbatemp.net/t253417-bernie-stolar-t...about-dreamcast

That doesn't prove that the Dreamcast would've succeeded. He just said that he though if they poured more money and made an even larger (and frankly unwise) investment it might work. They were also going against the Gamecube (successor to the awesome N64), the PS2 (the highest selling console ever made), and the Xbox (the first console from Microsoft, who was already a giant in the PC world and with PC gaming), they didn't have a chance at all. The Dreamcast may have been great but it just didn't have hope.
 

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
2,272
Trophies
0
Age
36
XP
194
Country
NO! And the 1 billionthb time NO!! That guy is the main reason why SEGA collapsed and don't make any consoles no more. If you watched the 10 main reasons why SEGA failed, you will understand my point.

Yuji Naka, you stay inside your fail studio and continue making crappy games! Don't come near SEGA, its recovering slowly and it doesn't need a horrific relapse!!!
 

ZaeZae64

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
732
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
Check the flag dumby
Website
puu.sh
XP
301
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
NO! And the 1 billionthb time NO!! That guy is the main reason why SEGA collapsed and don't make any consoles no more. If you watched the 10 main reasons why SEGA failed, you will understand my point.

Yuji Naka, you stay inside your fail studio and continue making crappy games! Don't come near SEGA, its recovering slowly and it doesn't need a horrific relapse!!!

Wasn't Yuji Naka the guy programmed the original Sonic The Hedgehog, and produced Nights, Burning Rangers, and Phantasy Star Online?
Besides I thought the Dreamcast was a great console. I still have one and still enjoy it.
 
D

Deleted User

Guest
OP
Canonbeat234 said:
NO! And the 1 billionthb time NO!! That guy is the main reason why SEGA collapsed and don't make any consoles no more. If you watched the 10 main reasons why SEGA failed, you will understand my point.

Yuji Naka, you stay inside your fail studio and continue making crappy games! Don't come near SEGA, its recovering slowly and it doesn't need a horrific relapse!!!
Repeat=ZaeZae64

And also, you spelt billionth wrong.

*grammar nazi stick*
 

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Glad I dont use or have anything MSI. I only use Tandy products. +1