Sonic Adventure DX: Dreamcast Edition

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True to my word on my blog post, here's the actual topic. Note that most of this is taken from there, because I would probably have typed the same exact things anyway. While this does scream unoriginality, I don't have any new screenshots either besides some older ones from the original mod so I don't have anything recent to show. Especially since I haven't done much with figuring out land tables and why they aren't loading yet, as well as the problem of having to wait for the SA Tools pack, or more specifically SAMDL to get various fixes applied to them.)

I don't really broadcast it all that much, but I am a novice and part-time member of the Sonic hacking community. I have been working with mods for Sonic Adventure DX (more specifically, the 2004 PC version) since about mid to late 2014, and been working on a current project of mine since late 2014 and early 2015. I'd just thought I'd share a little bit about what I've been working on, whether or not I feel it'll reach the bars I've set for it, and tell a little bit about the items I was intending to put into the project but couldn't for one reason or another (mainly due to issues with the mod tools that we use for hacking SADX).

The name of the project is SONIC Adventure DX: Dreamcast Edition (DC Edition for short). It is a SADX Mod Loader mod I am making for the 2004 Windows release of SADX that restores the parts of the Dreamcast release of the game that can be restored at the present time as far as tools go, such as textures that were changed for DX, level tables that come from the Dreamcast version, etc. The mod also features the ADX soundtrack from the Dreamcast version, so you don't have to download the ADX soundtrack yourself, as well as button prompts that were created for Xinput controllers, such as a Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller (thanks to CheatFreak47 for creating the original Xinput prompts mod and converting the intro video for me, since before this was done, the game would render the video in a separate window as opposed to now which it renders in the main game window). Originally a separate mod that only restored the branding, title logo, intro video, and PRESS START BUTTON text from the Dreamcast release (called SA Branding, or DC Edition Alpha as I like to refer to it as) I have decided to improve it and continue what I started a year ago.

I intend for this mod to restore the parts of the Dreamcast release that can be restored via C++ and/or MainMemory's SA Tools pack. At the present time I have converted the land tables for the Dreamcast release to their DX counterparts (as well as replaced the SET and camera files) but they are not loading at the present time and so the textures are messed up since the texture data was changed for the DX release. A few days ago, SonicFreak94 made a Dreamcast textures mod that changes most land table and object textures back to the Dreamcast release (with mirroring implemented) so I am going to include it with the first release download and just use it as an interim for land tables until I can find out what's causing this to happen. I will try to fix this, but right now I'm putting more of a focus towards character models and more UI texture replacements. However, character models are not working either due to a bug that causes the model to import wrong. CheatFreak and I can't do much about the gloss either because of this so we're putting that part on hold and turning towards the UI texture replacements, including a replacement of the displeasing 3D sonic render on the title screen with the image of sonic that was used in the DX GameCube Preview prototype.

In conclusion, there is a lot I plan on doing with this mod, and I don't expect it to reach 100% in a few weeks. I just thought I'd share a little bit about my gigantic mod and ask for your opinions on what else could be implemented and/or restored.

Here are some screenshots from an earlier revision. These are all I have right now to show that have changed, due to the progress the mod has yet to make.

http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?attachments/sa-branding-1-png.777/

http://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?attachments/sa-branding-2-png.778/

Last edited by Jeff Lavenz,

Jeff Lavenz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After so long without an update, I am happy to say that texture fixes have for the most part ceased work and are ready for release. However it seems that the land tables are not compatible with SADX right now, due to the mod loader not loading them. Instead I have elected to just revert the level textures back until a much more elaborate fix can be applied.

I also have a couple of new developments regarding the project. CF47 and I have discovered that our original plan of importing Preview Sonic over the 3D render on the title screen will not work for anything more than 640x480 due to the game not having the unneeded textures in the texture file's indices. However, we are instead electing to find a way to lock the title screen to 640x480 for ALL resolutions, so that way we can make a translation of the original title screen. Next up for discussion is a "menu voice mod" that will lock the voice used on the menus to the default voice. I've made variations of this to simulate the menu voice DLC for the Dreamcast version, albeit without an All Voice mod since DX already does that natively. It turns out all the game checks for which voice to be played is the last character used by using a single byte to choose what voice plays. If this byte is frozen, the desired affect (which in my case is to always use the Default voice no matter which character has been played) will be reached.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end