Something is wrong with my Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by UnseenHero, Jan 6, 2010.

Jan 6, 2010
  1. UnseenHero
    OP

Member UnseenHero The UnseenHero

Canada
    Well I will explain my problem first. Whenever i boot my computer i always get this random page that shows some computer things (do not k,now what it is but has always been there) and then prompts me to this page with these 5 options

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Control ????

Last Known something

Start Normal Mode

If i click start normal modes it goes to Windows XP loading page then redirects me to that computer thing i mentioned before. I click last known whatever and redirects me. The only way i can go on is with Safe Mode Networking which takes away some things since it is on Safe mode.

My dad says our comp is virused but i think it was 2days ago i used my search & destroy and all threats were destroyed and their was oned virus. a Malaware but it was deleted. Then my dad turned off the computer after not bieng able to acces the internet and all we get is that page and i am the only one in the family that knows how to acces Safe Mode ( when it gives you options i must hold F10 and arrows keys to choose found out randomly)

So i am asking that if you guys may help me so i can start my computer Normaly. I will try rebooting now again and see what happens. Please and Thank You for your Help.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Try booting into safe mode and doing a system restore to a number of days ago. I'm guessing you mean you used 'spybot search and destroy'. While it's good against spyware and some malware, it isn't an alternative to a full virus scanner. You should use it in conjunction with a virus scanner.

If a system restore works and gets your computer booted normally, you should get 'Microsoft Security Essentials'. It's a free anti-virus program from Microsoft. Then do a full system scan with it.

3. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    This might sound stupid but how do you do a system restore only 14 dont know much about computers

Wi-Fi still doesnt work only safe mode and safe mode networking work.

4. Elritha

Canada
  5. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Unfortunately its a no go i tried restoring it same thing happens except some files come back I still have to use safe mode.

If you are confused what i am wanting it is for me to be able to boot the computer and load windows xp then go to the thing to choose your accounts because it doesn't do that. Lol gonna ask my dad what happened when he was on the comp because it happened when he was on. Thank you for your help Edhel anyways [​IMG]

6. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    Just do a fresh install after you backup your stuff in Safe Mode. ezpznp.

7. Elritha

Canada
    Oh well. A system restore normally would revert your windows back to whatever time period you choose. In your case you'd pick a restore point dated when your computer was working. It doesn't always work unfortunately.

If worse comes to worse you could attempt to do a repair install. It involves using the windows cd to boot up with, it should keep your files and programs intact.

8. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Well ym comp was working until my dad went on internet explorer wasnt working and got pissed and shut off the computer thats when it stooped working. But your suggestions are saving my files somewhere and restarting my computer with windows xp cd? Just making sure i got that right:P

9. lord0fshred

Member lord0fshred GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds to me like the startup files are corrupted. As irritating as it can be, it's not hard to fix it. Pop in the XP install cd and do a repair, and it should fix it right up.
    If you don't have the XP cd, then things could get complicated.

10. Elritha

Canada
    Yes, boot with the xp install cd in your drive. You may have to press f8 or some button during boot up if it doesn't automatically boot from cd on its own.

If you do a repair install you shouldn't need to backup your files. Though for peace of mind you really should backup the important ones. [​IMG]

Be sure you choose repair when it asks you. When it boots from the cd and loads up it should detect your old install of windows and ask you what you want to do. From there you should be able to choose to repair.

11. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    @lordOFshred how complicated?

My dads friend does it for us and this time my dad said that he wont do it this time and that we aint getting a new comp so of course i dont have the cd. So how complicated

I am going to bed right now GN all. And please try to post suggestions on how to get the cd or any other method i really appreciate it [​IMG]

12. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Well you cannot do a repair install without the XP CD, so you will have to obtain a copy of the CD. Otherwise you are pretty screwed until you can get one.

13. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    I am guessing i cannot pirate the cd XD [​IMG]

14. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Of course you can. [​IMG]

15. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Umm there is a problem i found out i have windows xp professional but when i go on TPB there are so many different types like intergerated with a date is there any specific or will any do?

16. Elritha

Canada
    Is your computer from an OEM such as Dell, or is it a custom build? If it's from Dell or the like you would be better off downloading a Dell OEM XP cd as it will activate itself and so on.

If it's a custom build computer try and get one with XP pro + SP3.

17. connor_walsh

Member connor_walsh GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    if as edhel said if your pc is a custom brand try searching for this "WINDOWS XP PRO 32-BIT SP3 ISO ACTIVATED GENUINE"

18. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    what is/are the threat(s) ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Malware can be a bastard, use more than 1 friggin program, also identify the specific threats and google em see if there are individual tools

19. Myidentityisasec

Newcomer Myidentityisasec Advanced Member

United States
    Lol, don't worry. Just hit start, all programs, accessories, system tools, and system restore. I'm 10 so don't worry XD

20. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Youridentiyisasecret.

All joking aside. You're 10. Uh... [​IMG] . I didn't expect GBAtemp to have 10 year old's. Maybe 12/13 but.....10? That's kinda young.