Some questions before buying a Acekard 2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Kishire, Mar 16, 2009.

Mar 16, 2009
  1. Kishire
    OP

Newcomer Kishire Advanced Member

United States
    Hello, so I've decided to buy an Acekard 2 because from what I've read so far it seems very compatible with DS/DSL games, I have a N-Card and it just freezes up so much that im tire of it.
    Before I was considering a CylcoDS but then I realize its expensive because of the extra features and all I really want to do is play DSL Games, and that's about it :]

But, for my N-Card, I transfer games by using the USB wire they included and connect it with the computer & DS. But for Acekard 2 & such, I read and found out that you would need some kind of MicroSD card to transfer your game? since there is no wire, does this mean the DS games are transfered to the NDS wirelessly?...yeah I was confused.

Also, THEN I read & found out that some games might not work properly if you have a "slow class" microSD card? that sounds frustrating too...But I heard Class 6 is really good, is there a better class or is Class 6 perfectly fine to get?

Lastly, please take a look at this purchase to see if it is correct:

ok so I'm gonna buy an Acekard 2 at realhotstuff which includes:

1 x Acekard 2 cartridge
    1 x USB reader
    (not sure what this is, someone explain?)

there was also a option to buy a memory card with it, but from what I've read, I think im gona buy a Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card (Class 6) from Newegg.com

So would this cover all the stuff ill need to be able to play NDS games? or am I missing anything else?
    I'm sorry for all the question but I want to make sure before I spend my money so I don't buy the wrong items or miss out what i need to be able to play the games...Thanks a lot and I would highly appreciate the help!
    any suggestion/advice is welcome!

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    AK2 is a good choice, shop is also good.

The USB reader is what you use to connect your MicroSD card to the computer.

That MicroSD you picked on newegg is a good one.

You won't need anything more to play games on your AK2.

I suggest you use AKAIO instead of the official AK2 firmware, it's better.

download http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=5069

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Seems your on the right path [​IMG]
    Well simply said, the micro SD card is a memory card that you can put on everything the card needs (firmware, roms,...)
    To put all this on the card, you use the USB reader. You put the card in the reader, then the reader in the pc. The only thing to do then is drag and drop the right files
    If thats done, you take the card out of the reader and put it in the Acekard.
    Afaik, the class of the SD card has very few influence on the performance of the flashcart.
    That should do [​IMG]

4. Kishire
    OP

United States
    @ Sephi

what exactly is AKAIO? I downloaded it with the link you provided, but when I try to extract it, it say something & then File is broken.
    But the file "akmenu4.nds" came out anyways....does that mean this file is glitched/corrupted? and what am I suppose to do with it anyways >_>"

5. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    It's a custom firmware, just try to download it again, your download was probably just corrupted randomly.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
  7. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    I just use this image:

[​IMG]

Please do the same [​IMG]

8. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Class 6 is good, but Kingston Class 4's are just as good. Stay away from Sandisk though, they're all Class 2.

9. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    noted. I'll get Acekard 2 before the month ends. Need to replace my near-brokening R4.

The cards available to me are pqi, A-Data, Transcend.

AKAIO is a good firmware. I have it right now in preparation for my AceKard 2.

You need a microSD reader or a card reader with an SD Adapter (since mine will be the cart only and I used a regular SD adapter)

10. Kishire
    OP

United States
    Also, I have a question about AKAIO's features.

Does it allow to you fast foward during gameplay like double the speed? (like the GBA emu did).

Finally, does it work for wireless play between DS, Download play, or even wifi-online play for games like Animal Crossing: Wild World?

Thanks.

11. greenwatch200

Newcomer greenwatch200 Advanced Member

United States
    read the wiki: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO [​IMG]

12. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    yes. there are sometimes ak2-to-ak2 issues with cart-to-cart play but this is not an akaio limitation, its a hardware problem. AC:WW works great, just make sure your router's wep is set to shared. this is an issue with the retail cart as well.

-another world