Hacking some questions about wiikey...

yo_matt2004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, please don't say to use the search box or look at the other threads, because I have and havent found out answers to my questions.

1. I have heard people talking about things like chipsets, and I am wondering if some chipsets arent compatible, and how I would find out if my wii would be compatible.
2. does it run off of CDs or DVDs? I don't have a DVD burner, so I really need this answered. the files are iso which, in the past, I've always used for CDs, but i dont know what file type a dvd image is, so would CDs work?
3. is wiikey the best or only the most popular? does it have more features, more support? I would like a cheap chip but not if it does less than one that costs $10 more.
4. Does it really matter what soldering iron I use? I have one but i dont really know anything about it, i dont know if its 15W.

please, if you know the answer to my questions please answer them instead of telling me to search. I tried searching, and if you're gonna post, atleast help me out.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
2. Wii reads DVDs only as far as I know. Besides, Wii and GC games are on DVDs and wouldn't fit on a CD.
3. It's popular, but being the best is debatable. I've got one and I'm happy with it, but some people haven't been happy with theirs because of the update that cames months after the Wiikey team said it would.

I can't really help with 1 and 4.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
D2C is the chipset you want to avoid. It can be modded but you'll need to install a butt load of wires (D2Ckey?). D2A, D2B/D2B three cut pins & DMS are the chipsets you want if you want to use a wiikey as a chip.

Using a high wattage iron will increase the chances of you frying the board. So I suggest you use a low wattage iron like the ones recommended up on the sticky. Unless you "gotz mad skillz"

airrich

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. wiikey is not compatible with the d2c chipset, www.d2ckey.com will be releasing their chip very soon, which is compatible with it. http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/search.php is the best way to tell what chipset you have without opening your wii up.
2. dvd5 only
3. it is definitely the most popular, but everyone has their personal opinion about it. the ones who did not like the chip were mad due to the long delay of the updates.
4. if you use a soldering iron above 15w, you risk the chance of a soldering point coming off. it is best to use a 15w iron with a sharp point.

yo_matt2004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k, I got my wii at launch, so I assume that it isnt this d2c I hear about, that one seems newer. Is 15w the standard or the cheapest iron? my iron came in a toolkit for school (I take electronics at my tech school), so it is probably the cheapest and the standard iron.

Just saw a wiikey on eurasia for $19, I'll probably order it tomorrow. thanks for the help guys.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii launch chances are you have a DMS chip. So you've avoided a great pain. As for the iron just keep it safe and buy a 15w. But in the past people have installed the chip without any problems with a 30w. So either buy a 15w, ask your teacher what kind of iron came with that kit or take your chances.

But seeing as your taking those kind of classes you have a higher chance on NOT messing it up.

edit: get a triwing driver if you haven't already.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2905

Edit 2: site i got my wiikey
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDeta...spx?TranID=1355

yo_matt2004

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for that link to the wiikey, awesome price. Anyways, I don't need a triwing to open the wii, you can actually unscrew it with the right size screwdriver. however, I did order a triwing from dealextreme 4 days ago, so it should come in in about 10-14 more days. shipping is slow :'(
ya, I'll ask my teacher about my iron, or maybe I still have the manual lying around. hopefully its a 15w, Im not a great solderer, I end up witha lot of cold joints and burnt circuit boards, lol. I'll have my friend solder it for me.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3993 does, I heard that the wii cannot load isos off of an SD card, so what is the point of this? is it for gamecube saves?

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
1. wiikey is not compatible with the d2c chipset, www.d2ckey.com will be releasing their chip very soon, which is compatible with it. http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/search.php is the best way to tell what chipset you have without opening your wii up.
2. dvd5 only
3. it is definitely the most popular, but everyone has their personal opinion about it. the ones who did not like the chip were mad due to the long delay of the updates.Â
4. if you use a soldering iron above 15w, you risk the chance of a soldering point coming off. it is best to use a 15w iron with a sharp point.

the 1.9b update allows 9gb discs (dual layer)

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yo_matt2004 the point of having the sd gamecube adapter is to backup wii and gamecube games to the sd card.(it was also used with action replay to play emulators. but nintendo stopped the booting of action replay)

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edit 2: site i got my wiikey
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDeta...spx?TranID=1355

That site doesnt accept paypal, so im kind of unsure if i want to buy from there. what payment types do they accept? I buy everything with payapl nowadays, lol, so i don't know how else you can buy things.

It's not that they won't accept it. Paypal updated their ToS that says something about modchips not being covered or whatever. When I ordered mine I used my credit card. They didn't burn me or charge me 10 times the original price. Just remember to use a credit card and not a debit card linked to your bank account. But if you're still feeling iffy get it from Eurasia like you said. Nine dollars isn't gonna kill anyone.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't know. If is has the Visa logo I am assuming it would work. But send them an email and ask.

Never seen those disks before. If you're trying to save money I suggest heading over to Costco or Sam's club and get TDK 100pk cake for $34 (costco price). Those are the disks I used and it has yet to fail me.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Verbatim 16x DVD-R if you want to make sure it will definitely work.

not sure if this has been answered for you but the SD adapter is if you want to dump a Wii iso onto an SD Card you need to do it through th gamecube memory card slot as well.

Also, all of these questions have been asked and answered a million times on this board
tongue.gif
but the search function is a little funky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?