Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good evening GBATEMP community!

I have to say that I'm very glad that I finally found this website

I'm a gamer myself, since the days of NES which was my first console. After that I was lucky enough to get my hands on a regular Nintendo Gameboy which served me well for years but sadly broke this spring on a trip abroad.

So here I am... thinking that it would be a good time to get myself a new portable Nintendo console, but before doing so, I would like some advice from the people who actually know this brilliant machine firsthand.

If any of you can take a moment to answer my questions, then please do so. Your knowledge is highly appreciated!
nayps3.gif

1. I have already bought a couple of games (Bomberman DS, Sonic Chronicles, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars), but I am quite sure that there are many great games out there that cannot be bought (or I cannot afford ) which I would like to download.

So the question is... what is the best Nintendo DS model (DS Lite, DSi or what... ) for using homebrew/games software and why?

2. I read from this very same forum that I need some special cartridge (R4 or something like that) to be able to play them. What is the best cartridge/device for that and why? (where can I buy one)?

3. Which DS console would you recommend that I should buy and why?

4. Where should one buy a DS console? I dont mind buying a console from some website or ebay, as long as the price is better than here in Estonia.

Thank you so much!

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your going to use it soely for pirated games i would suggest buying a ds lite as its firmware does not update to block flashcarts. i have used AK2i(acekard 2 i) but some people will recommend dstwo flashcart.... reasearch them both for the stuff yo uwould preffer.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
karupanda4 said:
Good evening GBATEMP community!

I have to say that I'm very glad that I finally found this website

I'm a gamer myself, since the days of NES which was my first console. After that I was lucky enough to get my hands on a regular Nintendo Gameboy which served me well for years but sadly broke this spring on a trip abroad.

So here I am... thinking that it would be a good time to get myself a new portable Nintendo console, but before doing so, I would like some advice from the people who actually know this brilliant machine firsthand.

If any of you can take a moment to answer my questions, then please do so. Your knowledge is highly appreciated!
nayps3.gif

1. I have already bought a couple of games (Bomberman DS, Sonic Chronicles, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars), but I am quite sure that there are many great games out there that cannot be bought (or I cannot afford ) which I would like to download.

So the question is... what is the best Nintendo DS model (DS Lite, DSi or what... ) for using homebrew/games software and why?

2. I read from this very same forum that I need some special cartridge (R4 or something like that) to be able to play them. What is the best cartridge/device for that and why? (where can I buy one)?

3. Which DS console would you recommend that I should buy and why?

4. Where should one buy a DS console? I dont mind buying a console from some website or ebay, as long as the price is better than here in Estonia.

Thank you so much!

1. Every one is good, the DSi is arguably the best, just keep an eye out for DSi system updates. (AKA don't update)

2. The Acekard 2i is a cheap and very reliable cart, but at a higher price, the SuperCard DSTWO is the best cart in existence right now.

3. DSi, because it's simply the best DS right now (sans system updates).

4. Not sure really, since DS systems are region-free you can get them from pretty much everywhere.

karupanda4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not to give the wrong impression, I do plan to also buy games, as I have already bought 2, however I would like the possibility to test certain games before buying or games which just cannot be bought (are very rare/released only in japan, small quantities).

Any suggestions for the store where I should buy a Nintendo DS? Here in estonia a nintendo ds lite costs about 160-200 euros.

I figured that there might be a better place to order one. What would be a good price/store to buy ds lite/DSi from?

Btw might I ask why is the DSi better? I've ready wikipedia, the website, but the information is a little overwhelming. Perhaps a owner of a dsi/ds lite could briefly point out a few reasons why one is better than another?

As for dsi, how big issue is the system update thing? As said, I have bought a few games, I plan to buy more and I would also like the possbilitiy to try certain titles which I cannot buy.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
If you only want to play games / homebrew get a DS Lite. It's the cheapest and best option.

If you want extra jazz (camera etc.) get a DSi

If you want a bigger screen than a DS Lite get a DSi XL (Though a Lite screen is fine)

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ds lite is 99$ in the USA right off the shelf.. if you can still find one.. otherwise try ebay. and if you will use it for mostly

qweasd123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get DS Lite and Acekard 2.1
DSi has camera but I don't think you need it.
And don't listen to Demonstryde, DS has A LOT of great games and until you finish'em all 3DS should be a lot cheaper.

Look for it on amazon.co.uk

karupanda4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see
smile.gif
Thank you for the feedback. You've all been very helpful.
So it seems that DS Lite is the right model for me.

As for 3DS, it is not for me.

If anyone has any, any at all information to add about dsi or ds lite, then please by all means, post here.

... and if you know a website or store that sells ds lite for a good price/ a good cartridge for using homebrew etc, please direct me to it.

ty again
smile.gif

karupanda4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SO from shoptemp I should buy a Acekard 2.1, amazon.co.uk ds lite.

Seems that I also need to buy a MicroSD Card for that acekard. Any suggestions for the microsds card, like which one to get?

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qweasd123 said:
And don't listen to Demonstryde, DS has A LOT of great games and until you finish'em all 3DS should be a lot cheaper.

was just saying man cause my first system was also nes....with the 3ds you can still use falashcart and play old ds games but if you are looking for something better than a origional gameboy...3ds is by FAR THE BEST CHOICE FOR HANDHELD NINTENDO GAMMING....try it first before you ditch it man... actually hold it in your hands. go to a gamestore with ds lite dsi and 3ds on display and see wich you like better.... all of wich can play flashcarts...

anyone who says dont get a 3ds is extremely dillusional and is obviously not a mature adult... thus why my explanation may suit you better as you sound like an adult by your first post.... if you have a way to make money dont spend it on an outdated system when the next gen (3ds) can do all the same things as older systems ......

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the DS lite the best because I'm a big GBA fan. You can pick up a nice used lite for about 50 or 60 dollars and I'd rather be able to play GBA natively than have DSiware.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
qweasd123 said:

was just saying man cause my first system was also nes....with the 3ds you can still use falashcart and play old ds games but if you are looking for something better than a origional gameboy...3ds is by FAR THE BEST CHOICE FOR HANDHELD NINTENDO GAMMING....try it first before you ditch it man... actually hold it in your hands. go to a gamestore with ds lite dsi and 3ds on display and see wich you like better.... all of wich can play flashcarts...

anyone who says dont get a 3ds is extremely dillusional and is obviously not a mature adult... thus why my explanation may suit you better as you sound like an adult by your first post.... if you have a way to make money dont spend it on an outdated system when the next gen (3ds) can do all the same things as older systems ......
I think there's a lot of reasons to hold off on buying a 3DS. I don't think at the moment it's worth spending the $250.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dickfour said:
Demonstryde said:
qweasd123 said:

I think there's a lot of reasons to hold off on buying a 3DS. I don't think at the moment it's worth spending the $250.

then you must not have tried it or are not at least 18 years of age, or dont have a way to make money....if im wrong let me know otherwise i think i hit it right on the nose as to why you dont think its worth it

karupanda4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am sure that the 3DS console is awesome and serves it's purpose very well, while making many gamers happy. However it is not for me. For the "heavier" gaming I prefer a pc or the Playstation 3 platform which I also own.

Also thank you for everyone for pointing out the positive and negative sides of all DS consoles.

At the moment I'm still on a lookout for a DS Lite console with a good price, so if any of you happen to know a store where I might be able to buy one (ships internationally, I live in Estonia, Europe), please do so.

yaywii.gif

Would someone also point out why "Acekard 2.1" might be the best choice as has been suggested in earlier posts?

http://gbatemp.net/t217593-the-which-flash...get-info-thread
Here I read that acekard has quite a few downsides. As mentioned, I'm not familiar with the Nintendo DS family or this technology, so if anyone is kind enough to enlighten me in the fine arts of "Which flashcart to get" then please do so
smile.gif

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
karupanda4 said:
I am sure that the 3DS console is awesome and serves it's purpose very well, while making many gamers happy. However it is not for me. For the "heavier" gaming I prefer a pc or the Playstation 3 platform which I also own.

Also thank you for everyone for pointing out the positive and negative sides of all DS consoles.

At the moment I'm still on a lookout for a DS Lite console with a good price, so if any of you happen to know a store where I might be able to buy one (ships internationally, I live in Estonia, Europe), please do so.

yaywii.gif
EBAY

karupanda4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I noticed that ebay has some pretty slick deals.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-DS-NDS-LITE...=item519a00491d

This seems to be a quite good deal, however the conditions are a little strange.

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

Anyone got experience with ordering with such conditions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: we are fucked