• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Some Dutch guy wants to legally change of age

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it was one of the Trump posts. Although tbf these days theyre all Trump posts ...
Just because I don't consider the guy literally Hitler doesn't mean I'm conservative. I fight for gay rights, I fight for trans rights, I fight for end of discrimination, I fight for what's right. You can't go to any politician right now and expect them to think exactly like you. But between Trump and Clinton I'd pick Trump any and every time. It's a no brainer for me.

If Trump would, say, want to ban gay rights (lol), I will call him out like I always do. But in the end, he can't do shit about it because gay rights are important and people against them get a serious backlash.

But when politicians promote discrimination because they believe to be "the right side", that's what I can't stand. Because you can totally be Google and discriminate over males and white people in the hiring process and no one will care.
You can say on the Internet that women should be believed on anything they say regardless of proof, and you'll have millions agreeing with you, so much so that the law is corrupted by this way of thought. It's as bad as some schools deciding to swift legit rape cases under the rug just because the aggressor is a promising sports player, mind you. But the public goes INSANE when that happens until a proper punishment is given. And rightfully so. But a woman can falsely accuse someone of rape and get a slap on the wrist or a company can openly discriminate on white people and males without any repercussion, and that's fucked up.

This isn't what equality is and I'll call it out everytime I see it. But we're going off-topic here.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
although the Dutch law says that employers can't discriminate on age, they still do.
Then. Mount. A. Case. For. That. Not age semantics trying to rewrite factual history of his year of birth and age.

Challenging the state whenever a citizen believes it did something wrong it's fair and rightful.
Where was he wronged? When the state told him his birth year, and he happened to be born that year?

Having an opinion doesn't justify you from calling people names.
Having freedom to express my opinion means I can say whatever I want about a given situation within the lines of reason. My opinion is that he's making a mockery of the courts, and being on the fringe of creepy, because one of his facets is to change his age for tinder dating.

Again, he never claimed to want a relationship. He wants to find women on Tinder. Do you really not know how Tinder works? He's not going to marry them. And if he does, he has to be honest about it.
Deceit is deceit. If he thinks he's so young looking, he should try primping that factor to his favor, then. Not say "I don't wanna lie buuuuuut I wanna lie!"

Do you have any idea of how different things work for a senior citizen? He can't drive any car he wants because insurance will have a say to this by increasing their quota (and insurances are BS worldwide, so much so that a guy from Canada legally changed gender from male to female just to save several hundred dollars a year for his).
Legality is legality. Laws exist for a reason, to protect the state, and the citizens. If seniors are at a higher risk, then that's a problem seniors face. It's not ageist, it's statistics. Insurance rates blow regardless, but it's not like it's all unfounded.

He can't buy a house because no bank will allow a man his age to get a mortgage, even if he's living a healthier life than many other, much younger people.
If he's looking for 40, 30, or even 20 year loans when he's 70, yeah. Again, it's like the insurance. Avenues exist, assuming he has a good credit line, income, and ability to provide a down payment. But facts are, taking out loans are dangerous to banks when the lended might not be alive to pay it off fully. He is being deceitful to the ones providing a loan by not giving them his true age.

Life has its ups and downs. Our society has age based restrictions to protect. Kids can't drink because they're prone to making bad decisions at that age. Seniors are likely to become frail, unable to work, likely to become sick, incapable. It's a part of life, and aging. It sucks, but he's going out of his way to not accept facts.

Mine is an actual opinion.
You're not outwardly calling people names, but you've certainly got the tone as if you are.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Even though I agree with you on the topic, I've had to deal part of the week with people who use nothing but ad hominem whenever you don't agree with them (the game & watch drama). It's annoying because it gets nowhere and nobody ever change their positions.
And actually for gender, the issue lie with the very definition of gender. If for someone gender = sex, then it's also a measurement that cannot be changed. Once you make them realize that gender is more than that, then it becomes easier to process.
But it's still two completely different topics. A measurement of time is not the same as gender nor sex and thus comparing is onto itself illogical. The man behind this created a strawman by comparing names and gender to time itself. I am not saying I am the best at breaking down the logical fallacies the dude created because honestly, the ones used to create his first argument ultimately end up being the ones used to defend it.
In other words, I am doing the best I can to break down his initial argument, but limited due to how carefully I have to pick my words. I know just how easily something like this can fall apart with only a few misplaced words and without trying to use the same logical faculties. I will fail at times because as stressed, this is not an easy topic to take apart. He created a simple and easy to argument that's harder to break down, even if it should be obvious where the issues lie.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Then. Mount. A. Case. For. That. Not age semantics trying to rewrite factual history of his year of birth and age.
How out of touch with the real world are you to not see men and senior citizens complaining about this but nothing is ever done? Even in the article you can find links to cases about work discrimination. He knows he can't fight the system so he found a workaround.

Where was he wronged? When the state told him his birth year, and he happened to be born that year?
The state didn't decide his birth year, his parents did. By his logic, if people can legally change their gender, he can cut off almost 1/4 of his years, even losing the rights with it, like his retirement money. Whether his logic is right or wrong, he feels like he's being wronged and there's no case prior to this, so he has all the power to do so.
Having freedom to express my opinion means I can say whatever I want about a given situation within the lines of reason. My opinion is that he's making a mockery of the courts, and being on the fringe of creepy, because one of his facets is to change his age for tinder dating.
creepy
/ˈkriːpi/
adjectiveinformal
adjective: creepy; comparative adjective: creepier; superlative adjective: creepiest

causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.

Please do tell me how can a 69 years old bring "fear and unease" by wanting to legally change his age to 49 and being so "creepy" about it that he talked to journalists in public about it. It's like me going to the thread where people post their photos and calling pedophiles those with a mustache because of some nosense in my brain that goes "mustaches = pedophilia".

Deceit is deceit. If he thinks he's so young looking, he should try primping that factor to his favor, then. Not say "I don't wanna lie buuuuuut I wanna lie!"
Except that, by legally changing his day of birth, he wouldn't need to be lying. If he didn't put "49" as age on Tinder it means that he's a honest man, because as I said earlier, people in the app lie all the time. From body shape, to age, to relationship status and so on. But he didn't do that, he's trying to do it legally. This behavior is far from any name you've called him in this thread.

Legality is legality. Laws exist for a reason, to protect the state, and the citizens. If seniors are at a higher risk, then that's a problem seniors face. It's not ageist, it's statistics. Insurance rates blow regardless, but it's not like it's all unfounded.
By this logic, we should let black people pay a premium for life insurance because they commit a huge percent of crimes compared to white people. Or make women pay more car insurance than men because, under the same mileage, they make more carwreck than men. Except that we don't, because discrimination is bad. And by the way, teenagers under 25 commit a lot more car accidents than elder people.
If he's looking for 40, 30, or even 20 year loans when he's 70, yeah. Again, it's like the insurance. Avenues exist, assuming he has a good credit line, income, and ability to provide a down payment. But facts are, taking out loans are dangerous to banks when the lended might not be alive to pay it off fully. He is being deceitful to the ones providing a loan by not giving them his true age.
Yeah, ok. Good luck finding any bank that will give you a 40 years payment at 49. I'm sure that will work out just fine.

Have you seen his resume? The man is active. He has a better lifestyle than many teenagers. He won't get a 40 years loan like any other guy at 49, but he'd be getting 20 or 30 without issues.
Life has its ups and downs. Our society has age based restrictions to protect. Kids can't drink because they're prone to making bad decisions at that age. Seniors are likely to become frail, unable to work, likely to become sick, incapable. It's a part of life, and aging. It sucks, but he's going out of his way to not accept facts.
If a 70 years old man can go and complain that not enough women are letting him bang them, I can safely say that, for him, age doesn't seem to matter. We have seniors competing at the olympics, running mile after mile every day, working hard and so on. Not everyone like this, but these people definitely don't deserve to live a life paying taxes and then being treated like a child just because their ID says that they're from a generation that's "too old" to do stuff. If society cares so much about this, maybe we should let men retire at the same age as women, considering that they have shorter life averages because of how stressful their jobs are. But we won't, because society doesn't care. Senior citizens are seen as a burden, because they get "free money" from the government, when people seem to forget that they paid their whole life for someone else's retirement. And those people did the same, and so on.

You're not outwardly calling people names, but you've certainly got the tone as if you are.
Nope.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
52 year old guy wants to be 6 year old girl

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, I could be way off base here, but it seems like the obvious answer is a mix of diet, exercise, and genetics. All three often being determined by where you're born and who you're born to.
And go to a different planet since time passes differently then on earth. That’ll be cool when humans can space travel. Mars time moves differently to earth though not a big effect.

Expect it's a line drawn with actual facts. You can't change the year you were born, that's against the universal laws of time and something that can not be changed. Being trans has actual medical backing to prove the validity behind transgender individuals. Your argument is complete garbage and without backing. You are comparing an apple to a shoe with nonsense arguments.
There is science for time and time can change for you, Time Dialation. If you move fast relative to other people then time will tick more slowly.

High level gravity also slows down your time. The higher up and farther away you are away from earths center in reduced gravity then time ticks faster. Einstein’s theory of relativity.

Last edited by SG854,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
52 year old guy wants to be 6 year old girl

And go to a different planet since time passes differently then on earth. That’ll be cool when humans can space travel.

There is science for time and time can change for you, Time Dialation. If you move fast relative to other people then time will tick more slowly.

High level gravity also slows down your time.

Humans can space travel...
...just not far...

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
By this logic, we should let black people pay a premium for life insurance because they commit a huge percent of crimes compared to white people. Or make women pay more car insurance than men because, under the same mileage, they make more carwreck than men. Except that we don't, because discrimination is bad. And by the way, teenagers under 25 commit a lot more car accidents than elder people.
people did the same, and so on
It’s the other way around. Males pay for more car insurance because they are more likely to get into accidents. Women don’t drive recklessly and race cars as much as males statistically.

Last edited by SG854,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you nuts?
ikr, women dont need alcool to drive badly

hoho, did i just make a sexist joke?
hehe, yes i did

(dont take it personal please, i respect women ;))

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Are you nuts?
No, it’s why car insurance is more expensive for males. On car insurance websites they tell you exactly why males pay more.

This is from the DMV website. I know because there was complaints on I think it was why women pay more medical insurance, or something like that. And the counter argument to that was why men pay more for car insurance. It’s differences in risks based on gender that drives up costs. Which has nothing to do with sexism.

https://www.dmv.org/insurance/how-gender-affects-auto-insurance-rates.php

Last edited by SG854,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, it’s why car insurance is more expensive for males. On car insurance websites they tell you exactly why males pay more.

This is from the DMV website. I know because there was complaints on I think it was why women pay more medical insurance, or something like that. And the counter argument to that was why men pay more for car insurance. It’s differences in risks based on gender that drives up costs.

women pay more for health insurrence?
lol, is it because 99% of breast cancer are women's case?

luckily, health insurrence is free here in Quebec :)

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

This is from the DMV website. I know because there was complaints on I think it was why women pay more medical insurance, or something like that. And the counter argument to that was why men pay more for car insurance. It’s differences in risks based on gender that drives up costs. Which has nothing to do with sexism.

Except that the website doesn't count the fact that men drive a lot more miles than women. That's why I specifically said "with the same mileage". It's like saying that the majority of homicides by nurses are done by women. Of course they are: 95% of them are female.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Except that the website doesn't count the fact that men drive a lot more miles than women. That's why I specifically said "with the same mileage". It's like saying that the majority of homicides by nurses are done by women. Of course they are: 95% of them are female.
That topic is covered in the link I gave. They also consider that fact that males drive more.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
women pay more for health insurrence?
lol, is it because 99% of breast cancer are women's case?

luckily, health insurrence is free here in Quebec :)
I forgot if it was health insurance or something else, too lazy to look up right now.

Women do pay more for insurance when they are younger. Then when they get older and more mature they pay less. Same with men. So it takes different ages into account. And it tends to equalize more as they get older.

They also look at it in an individual case by case. If you are a reckless female driver then you’ll be more of a risk to your insurer and will pay more regardless of gender.

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in