Satirical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey everyone, well I'm just going to quickly TL;DR my story and then ask my questions.

I had a DSPhat a few years ago which I accidentally spilled vimto on, it died. I've had a DSLite ever since and tbh up until yesterday I thought it was the best DS available even after the 3DS's release. And I'm going to justify this claim by saying that the DSLite has the longest battery life, and a GBA port. Both of those things were extremely important to me, before my EZFlash 3in1 decided it's battery didn't want to work any more. And even after trying to replace it I just snapped the metal tabs off and..My soldering iron was faulty and...Oh the horrors.

So after looking for a new EZFlash and just hitting dead ends and dodgy websites or overpriced items I decided I might just forget about the EZFlash and use VisualBoyAdvance on the PC instead.

That would mean I'd be able to use a 3DS and not feel like I'm neglecting my good ol' SLOT2.

The 3DS is ridiculously cheap on amazon in the UK atm so I'm planning to get one, but I'm just wondering..

I've already ordered an Acekard 2i, would I just update the firmware on my DSLite and update my 3DS, and then restart the 3DS with the Acekard 2i in? I don't want to brick my 3DS or my card, so I want to make absolutely certain that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks.

T

The Real Jdbye

chris888222 said:
One thing I can assure you: the 3DS won't be bricked.
...Yet. There are rumors Nintendo could do such a thing in the future, and according to their terms of service, they can. I'm not letting it stop me from using the AK2i on my 3DS, but if Nintendo decides to do that I'll probably not get another 3DS.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
Update the firmware on the Acekard 2i in your DSLite and update your 3DS to latest firmware, and then restart the 3DS with the Acekard 2i in. Complete process.

But if you wanted the feel of good old Slot2 GBA games i would still have gone for a SuperCard DSTwo

Super Mario RPG works in it too infact all superFX games, work, (Just not too well) even if you turn up the framerate, but GBA games work a treat

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
The Real Jdbye said:
chris888222 said:
...Yet. There are rumors Nintendo could do such a thing in the future, and according to their terms of service, they can. I'm not letting it stop me from using the AK2i on my 3DS, but if Nintendo decides to do that I'll probably not get another 3DS.

3DS for £115 or less now, so who cares if they brick it, just get 2 use one for dev and the other for official, who cares if they DO.... eventually brick one. "They're as cheap as chips"

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Real Jdbye said:
chris888222 said:

Rumors are rumors for a reason.. they really won't brick your 3DS.

The only thing that could brick your 3DS is by hardware or software modifications to the system itself (for example a modchip or homebrew channel requiring modified system files). And then it's still all in your own hands. If you decide to update with modified software or whatever and it bricks, then you did it yourself.

Nintendo will never brick your 3DS for using a flashcart.

Satirical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chris888222 said:

Great to have some straightforward advice, thanks.

Immortal_no1 said:
Update the firmware on the Acekard 2i in your DSLite and update your 3DS to latest firmware, and then restart the 3DS with the Acekard 2i in. Complete process.

But if you wanted the feel of good old Slot2 GBA games i would still have gone for a SuperCard DSTwo

Super Mario RPG works in it too infact all superFX games, work, (Just not too well) even if you turn up the framerate, but GBA games work a treat

Ah that's aggrevating, I've already ordered the AK2i, it was only £12 but still =/, I'll have to get a DSTwo eventually!

Immortal_no1 said:
The Real Jdbye said:
QUOTE(chris888222 @ Aug 19 2011, 01:07 PM)

3DS for £115 or less now, so who cares if they brick it, just get 2 use one for dev and the other for official, who cares if they DO.... eventually brick one. "They're as cheap as chips"

I'll keep that in mind, as long as I don't immediately update it and always seek to these forums for advice I should be fine.

Also maybe £115 is cheap as chips to you, but we aren't all flipping burgers at mcdonalds and living with our parents and having them pay our bills and expenses.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can not LEGALLY destroy your hardware on purpose whether you pirate or not... If you look at the EULA for Wii, there is the same thing... and the manuals for GBA... and gamecube... and N64... and SNES... hell, even the original NES had warnings stating that if you used any unauthorized accessories or cartidges your system would break and it's not their fault.

That said, intentionally destroying large amounts of computer devices is classified as cyberterrorim in the US and EU... and that's what you'd be suggesting that Nintendo could possibly do...

The most likely worst case scenario is that Nintendo pulls a Sony/Microsoft and simply bans the 3DS from online interactions. So far nintendo has not gone that route in the past with the Wii, but there is no reason to think that they won't if it comes to that with the 3DS... just remember that.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
Remember this sage piece of advice....... from me..... "Everything has a price, if the price of making a console successful and beat it's competitors is to allow some pirates to do what they want, then that is what will be done." As soon as Nintendo block wi-fi access to stop people playing on their devices, people will move to whatever Sony has got going or Microsoft.

It's the will of the free market speaking. Everyone wants something for nothing, but in reality nobody wants "anything" as everyone wants what they want, and everyone is different

Satirical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
The most likely worst case scenario is that Nintendo pulls a Sony/Microsoft and simply bans the 3DS from online interactions. So far nintendo has not gone that route in the past with the Wii, but there is no reason to think that they won't if it comes to that with the 3DS... just remember that.

I will keep this in mind, thanks.

QUOTE(Immortal_no1 @ Aug 19 2011, 03:09 PM) Remember this sage piece of advice....... from me..... "Everything has a price, if the price of making a console successful and beat it's competitors is to allow some pirates to do what they want, then that is what will be done." As soon as Nintendo block wi-fi access to stop people playing on their devices, people will move to whatever Sony has got going or Microsoft.

It's the will of the free market speaking. Everyone wants something for nothing, but in reality nobody wants "anything" as everyone wants what they want, and everyone is different

True, plus the fact that flashcarts are used for legal things too, like just playing music or looking at pictures or backing up games.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
Flash cards can be used for non-legal things too? OMG!
And there i've been wasting my money for years!
tongue.gif

Homebrew rocks, can't wait for 3DS Homebrew, Got some good things lined up
smile.gif

failtorespond

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bricking a 3ds because someone is using a flash card isn't going to help them make more sells.

Mark my words I would in fact REFUSE to ever buy another Nintendo product again if they ever did that. And this is from someone without a flash card.

Not everyone uses the flash cards for legit reasons, but there are benefits behind using a flash card that aren't just for pirating purposes. I know I have a stack of all kinds of games and personally carrying them around sucks ass.

Not to mention SNES emulation alone is a selling point on the flash card for me. I own so many SNES games and I REFUSE to pay for them again from virtual console when I already OWN them!

Satirical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Immortal_no1 said:
Flash cards can be used for non-legal things too? OMG!
And there i've been wasting my money for years!
tongue.gif

Homebrew rocks, can't wait for 3DS Homebrew, Got some good things lined up
smile.gif

Definitely, modding is a huge joyful part of gaming, and is frequently a successful aspect of a game, too. That's apparent in games like Counter Strike and Team Fortress.

QUOTE(failtorespond @ Aug 22 2011, 04:46 PM) Bricking a 3ds because someone is using a flash card isn't going to help them make more sells.

Mark my words I would in fact REFUSE to ever buy another Nintendo product again if they ever did that. And this is from someone without a flash card.

Not everyone uses the flash cards for legit reasons, but there are benefits behind using a flash card that aren't just for pirating purposes. I know I have a stack of all kinds of games and personally carrying them around sucks ass.

Not to mention SNES emulation alone is a selling point on the flash card for me. I own so many SNES games and I REFUSE to pay for them again from virtual console when I already OWN them!

Having a Cheat Database very frequently updated for every game, the ability to have them all on one card, the ability to change games by soft resetting instead of turning the DS on/off, the ability to real-time save, they're all pros of flashcarts.

Also, despite owning SMW on the SNES, and a SNES console, I'd still buy it on the eShop, I'm planning on getting a few things from there depending on the prices/what's available
tongue.gif

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea never going to happen ,and if it ever did it certainly wouldnt be for ds mode cards, a highly unlikely but more plausible scenario is that they would block online access for people who use a 3ds mode card , but not for a ds mode one, they never blocked online for wii mods.homebrew users ,and they didnt block "online" for ds flashcard users, or even block online/eshop for dsi users with flashcards,
plus if the 3ds is going to work like it is working now ,and like the dsi, where you do not need the latest fw to go online like for ps3 and 360 ,and you only need to have the fw version that first added the online feature/s and not the latest version to go online or use the services like eshop and browser and such
then i doubt anything would be done to even bad 3ds mode card users, but they could decide to release a new fw that would block the 3ds mode cards, but you could still go online as long as you didnt update, but im sure what they would try and do is offer new feature in the new fw to try and entice you to update your fw to new one that adds new features ,but blocks flashcards, i think that nintendo is more about the carrot than the stick, it is if history is any indicator, unlike $ony and M$

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big problem with the Wii was they didn't really have any system setup for banning systems or even a way to properly monitor that cheating is occuring... That's why there have been no bans for it.

Nintendo's online servers are literally just a match making service... Once the systems are connected, they have nothing more to do with Nintendo or it's servers. There is also no way to report any alleged abuse that you have happen to you when you play against someone... No means to track and the games weren't designed to have a resident memory scanner for them to detect any problems themselves (and even if they did, no reason why someone couldn't hack a passing check no matter what)

Nintendo caught a lot of flack for that, so I'd be very surprised if they don't have at least something in mind to deal with that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land