Hardware Solding Flux help

DKB

NO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I been looking at hardmod threads and wondering something about the flux..

I bought Oatey 95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, since this is my first time doing a hard mod. (Practicing first), and wondering if it will be alright for hard modding a N3DS XL. (Bricked it and need to fix it.) This is the flux in question:
30372_GHS.jpg

Last edited by DKB,

Skaterdie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't suggest using tinning flux. I would be afraid it could cause shorts between small parts around where you are using it. Leaded no-clean solder and no-clean flux is what i would suggest. You dont have to remove it and leaded solder melt with less heat so its easier on the board.

Reactions: DKB

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't suggest using tinning flux. I would be afraid it could cause shorts between small parts around where you are using it. Leaded no-clean solder and no-clean flux is what i would suggest. You dont have to remove it and leaded solder melt with less heat so its easier on the board.
I use solder flux paste. Flux will not have lead unless it's in the solder. I just am sure to use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to clean after done. I prefer paste as it sits where you put it. Unlike no clean flux, it's not runny. No clean flux is better for reflowing/bga solderin

@OP It will work, but as you can see there are dfferent opinions about flux and which to use.

Last edited by hundshamer,
Reactions: DKB

DKB

NO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah I was nervous about that. Good that I was not an idiot and just went straight to soldering my 3DS. lol

pre10c

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the picture looks like acid flux, wich is bad for pcbs, read how the warning warns for severe burns etc?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zTei5RMhQ8