Solding Flux help

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DKB, Mar 2, 2016.

1. DKB
    OP

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I been looking at hardmod threads and wondering something about the flux..

I bought Oatey 95 Lead Free Tinning Flux, since this is my first time doing a hard mod. (Practicing first), and wondering if it will be alright for hard modding a N3DS XL. (Bricked it and need to fix it.) This is the flux in question:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by DKB, Mar 2, 2016
  2. Skaterdie

Skaterdie Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I wouldn't suggest using tinning flux. I would be afraid it could cause shorts between small parts around where you are using it. Leaded no-clean solder and no-clean flux is what i would suggest. You dont have to remove it and leaded solder melt with less heat so its easier on the board.

DKB likes this.
  3. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I use solder flux paste. Flux will not have lead unless it's in the solder. I just am sure to use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to clean after done. I prefer paste as it sits where you put it. Unlike no clean flux, it's not runny. No clean flux is better for reflowing/bga solderin

@OP It will work, but as you can see there are dfferent opinions about flux and which to use.

Last edited by hundshamer, Mar 2, 2016
    DKB likes this.
  4. DKB
    OP

DKB FUCK OFF

May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Yeah I was nervous about that. Good that I was not an idiot and just went straight to soldering my 3DS. lol

5. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    the picture looks like acid flux, wich is bad for pcbs, read how the warning warns for severe burns etc?