Hardware Sold my PS4 Pro.Should i get Switch?

Hostilio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hey all

I did something not sure if i made the right move almost reggretting it but thats because im not sure yet what to do..
Anyways i sold my PS4 Pro (my only console) because the plan was to get a switch with that money the reason is im rly not that into Sony and Its exclussives, all i play on it is doom and street fighter v and stuff but not any of the big exclussives like horizon or future games like God of war not interested tbh..
But i do love Mario,Zelda,Metroid etc..
Also doom is kinda dead online on PS4 on switch i heard Its pretty active and it Will Stay that way untill another big shooter hits the switch so thats a big plus in a huge doom fan.
At this point ill rather take the 30fps active version of doom VS a 60fps dead version because i love the multiplayer on it..

Anyway if i get the switch it be my only console but Its both handheld and console so thats cool too..
I did look at the one x but that one litterly had nothing i want and not only that i heard the console comes with dry thermal paste on almost Every single one of them thats horrible in few years if u dont change it it will overheat and get loud not to mention no games and also way more expansive..
I also dont want to rebuy my pro again so i guess my op my option is switch
But im curious what do you guys think is best for me for the things i like should i go for the switch?
Or get my pro back

Well, i love my Switch basically cause i have Zelda BOTW, Mario Ode and Mario +Rabbids. So if you are into those games well then just go and get a switch cause you won't get those games on a PC.

I have an alienware alpha for play cs:go and my switch console and it rocks.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Indies which you can buy on any other platform (plenty of which are also on the Wii U and even 3DS
There are sequels to games that are on 3DS/Wii U, not a whole lot of crossover except around release time for Switch.

I'm still not sold on the Switch. I think it had a pretty good first year but they've already gone through most of their biggest IPs so far, and it sounds like they'll have the rest of the big Nintendo IPs and the B-tier stuff out next year. So what I'm really worried about is its third year - I think it will stagnate in year three and have a lot of sleeper hits from there. I don't think the Switch has necessarily succeeded on its merits alone nor do I think it's particularly worth buying right now.
Well that's not really the way the gaming industry works, it'll continue to receive a mix of AAA and "B" titles throughout any given year, the same way PS4 and XB1 do. The only difference is that Switch is portable, so people with a good gaming PC still have a reason to get it, where they have no reason to consider a PS4 or XB1. That's part of why Switch has been massively successful sales-wise, the hybrid aspect appeals to people who don't see the point in consoles sticking to stagnant/boring hardware.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
There are sequels to games that are on 3DS/Wii U, not a whole lot of crossover except around release time for Switch.
So far, not many of those "sequels" have been released. Splatoon 2 is basically just more Splatoon. Splatoon is a great game but they fixed almost none of the issues of the original game (and not having the touchscreen map available at all times in Splatoon 2 is arguably worse than the first game on Wii U). Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has issues that were likely due to it being rushed to market in time for Christmas. Half the games have been ports so far, and a bunch are from the Wii U. Zelda is on both consoles and performs only marginally better on the Switch, which is kind of ridiculous considering it's quite a lot more powerful than the Wii U (but then again, they had a year to port it, so it's debatable how good/bad of a job they did).

Well that's not really the way the gaming industry works, it'll continue to receive a mix of AAA and "B" titles throughout any given year, the same way PS4 and XB1 do. The only difference is that Switch is portable, so people with a good gaming PC still have a reason to get it, where they have no reason to consider a PS4 or XB1. That's part of why Switch has been massively successful sales-wise, the hybrid aspect appeals to people who don't see the point in consoles sticking to stagnant/boring hardware.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I'm not talking about AAA titles or whatever. I was talking about Nintendo's big IPs vs. their smaller IPs. They just shipped three Mario games this year (one being a port, the other technically being a port) and a Zelda game, so a major Mario and a major Zelda are both off the cards for at least another two years, and Mario Kart 9 (or whatever) is probably at least a year away too.
Metroid Prime 4 is also likely at least a year away. We'll likely see something like Donkey Kong and Animal Crossing next year - not Nintendo's top-tier IPs.
Now, I'm not saying we won't see Mario nor Zelda next year - we know a Zelda mobile game is coming next year, and there are only a million Mario spin-offs, so it's undoubtedly going to happen in some form. I'm sure we'll get a Skyward Sword remaster in the next year or two too.

But my point is that I don't think they have the longevity here. They always sell people on their first-party titles and fail to deliver anything else. Now to be fair, their third-party support has been quite good this year, but long-term, I'm not so sure, especially since the console just isn't powerful enough to handle a lot of ports.
Furthermore, my point was that the sale have been good so far but I'm worried about the longevity of this system. Maybe they'll get lucky but I'm not confident in it. It's a fact that the system is a jack of all trades but a master of none - it is both a portable and home console, but both dedicated handhelds and dedicated home consoles are better. Already, ports are performing worse on the Switch and being limited by its power. The battery life is horrendously bad - I don't find the 3DS battery life acceptable and the Switch has even less battery life than that (and I realise that's probably the best they could do with that power but still). Even stuff like Xenoblade 2 runs at sub-HD resolutions in portable mode. You have games that perform worse in docked mode because they're trying to push 1080p over 720p. I know some people are okay with that but I already have a PS4, a Vita and a 3DS - maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't need a system that half-asses everything. Dedicated devices are always better (think of smartphone gaming or taking photos with your smartphone - dedicated devices are completely superior).

Only half joking...I truly have no idea what a fidget spinner is.
Wow. I thought everyone knew. Even my parents know.
They're basically a cancerous meme at this point but just... look it up. They're garbage toys that got insanely popular for no good reason (and anyone who bought one is a bad person, including my brother).

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WELCOME FRIEND TO NINTENDO FAMILY!

now rush to ur local store and grab switch games with zelda or mario on it

p.s. when i got my 1070, ps4 immediately became obsolete, now i just use it as an VERY EXPENSIVE DOORSTOPPER LUL

Last edited by leon315,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's a fact that the system is a jack of all trades but a master of none - it is both a portable and home console, but both dedicated handhelds and dedicated home consoles are better.
I think the majority would disagree with this. Switch is the best gaming portable on the market. The battery is NOT bad at all, of course it's going to last only 3 hours playing AAA console games, no other portable even does this. If you play indies or pixel art games however, 6-8 hours easy.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
So far, not many of those "sequels" have been released. Splatoon 2 is basically just more Splatoon. Splatoon is a great game but they fixed almost none of the issues of the original game (and not having the touchscreen map available at all times in Splatoon 2 is arguably worse than the first game on Wii U). Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has issues that were likely due to it being rushed to market in time for Christmas. Half the games have been ports so far, and a bunch are from the Wii U. Zelda is on both consoles and performs only marginally better on the Switch, which is kind of ridiculous considering it's quite a lot more powerful than the Wii U (but then again, they had a year to port it, so it's debatable how good/bad of a job they did).

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I'm not talking about AAA titles or whatever. I was talking about Nintendo's big IPs vs. their smaller IPs. They just shipped three Mario games this year (one being a port, the other technically being a port) and a Zelda game, so a major Mario and a major Zelda are both off the cards for at least another two years, and Mario Kart 9 (or whatever) is probably at least a year away too.
Metroid Prime 4 is also likely at least a year away. We'll likely see something like Donkey Kong and Animal Crossing next year - not Nintendo's top-tier IPs.
Now, I'm not saying we won't see Mario nor Zelda next year - we know a Zelda mobile game is coming next year, and there are only a million Mario spin-offs, so it's undoubtedly going to happen in some form. I'm sure we'll get a Skyward Sword remaster in the next year or two too.

But my point is that I don't think they have the longevity here. They always sell people on their first-party titles and fail to deliver anything else. Now to be fair, their third-party support has been quite good this year, but long-term, I'm not so sure, especially since the console just isn't powerful enough to handle a lot of ports.
Furthermore, my point was that the sale have been good so far but I'm worried about the longevity of this system. Maybe they'll get lucky but I'm not confident in it. It's a fact that the system is a jack of all trades but a master of none - it is both a portable and home console, but both dedicated handhelds and dedicated home consoles are better. Already, ports are performing worse on the Switch and being limited by its power. The battery life is horrendously bad - I don't find the 3DS battery life acceptable and the Switch has even less battery life than that (and I realise that's probably the best they could do with that power but still). Even stuff like Xenoblade 2 runs at sub-HD resolutions in portable mode. You have games that perform worse in docked mode because they're trying to push 1080p over 720p. I know some people are okay with that but I already have a PS4, a Vita and a 3DS - maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't need a system that half-asses everything. Dedicated devices are always better (think of smartphone gaming or taking photos with your smartphone - dedicated devices are completely superior).

Completely agree with every point you've made. But Switch owners will defend their console fiercely so rational thinking kind of goes out the window. That said, I will likely buy a Switch at some point, but only when there are enough exclusive titles that I want to play. At the moment they're too scarce and I have systems that do the multi-platform titles much better.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Completely agree with every point you've made. But Switch owners will defend their console fiercely so rational thinking kind of goes out the window. That said, I will likely buy a Switch at some point, but only when there are enough exclusive titles that I want to play. At the moment they're too scarce and I have systems that do the multi-platform titles much better.
Nobody even has to defend Switch. Its sales will continue to speak for themselves. It has no competition. Meanwhile, XB1 and PS4 will continue to live in PC's shadow.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody even has to defend Switch. Its sales will continue to speak for themselves. It has no competition. Meanwhile, XB1 and PS4 will continue to live in PC's shadow.

The Wii sold extremely well also, people were initially amazed at the waggle controls and variety in a new style of gaming, but after a while, the enthusiasm started to wane and I wonder whether this will happen down the line with the Switch. As for PS4, it has something that neither the Switch nor XB1 has and that is a superb list of exclusive developers. If the Switch manages to pull this off, it will do well, but at the moment, it simply hasn't. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. As for PC, I have a gaming machine with a 1080Ti sitting inside so I'm well aware of the difference, but as I'm not a fanboy and I love Sony's exclusives, I also own a PS4Pro. Plus, I also have a 3DS (which has a fantastic library of games). Switch, I'm really not fussed about at the moment. It needs more.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Wii sold extremely well also, people were initially amazed at the waggle controls and variety in a new style of gaming, but after a while, the enthusiasm started to wane and I wonder whether this will happen down the line with the Switch. As for PS4, it has something that neither the Switch nor XB1 has and that is a superb list of exclusive developers.
Motion controls were an innovative feature at the time, but obviously they aren't the best control option for every game. Switch's "gimmick" is simply that it's a hybrid, it's easy to market and it's something just about everybody will find useful.

PS4's exclusives list grows shorter by the day as their contracts expire. Both Nioh and Nier play best on PC now. I'd also say Switch's first year has been far more impressive than PS4's was.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: DarthDub

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Motion controls were an innovative feature at the time, but obviously they aren't the best control option for every game. Switch's "gimmick" is simply that it's a hybrid, it's easy to market and it's something just about everybody will find useful.

PS4's exclusives list grows shorter by the day as their contracts expire. Both Nioh and Nier play best on PC now. I'd also say Switch's first year has been far more impressive than PS4's was.

Dude... seriously? Nier does not play best on PC as it was a port that was badly optimised. I had it crash a phenomenal amount of times at random points because of memory leaks. I persisted with it, but will always remember the annoying crashes. Nioh so far hasn't been as bad, but has crashed in several random spots too for similar reasons, none of the patches so far seem to have corrected the issue. There are tons of posts on steam about it and other forums.

As the guy above mentioned, Switch will sooner or later get left in the dust. It will rely solely on it's exclusives, and to reiterate, there simply aren't enough imo to invest in one.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Dude... seriously? Nier does not play best on PC as it was a port that was badly optimised. I had it crash a phenomenal amount of times at random points because of memory leaks. I persisted with it, but will always remember the annoying crashes. Nioh so far hasn't been as bad, but has crashed in several random spots too for similar reasons, none of the patches so far seem to have corrected the issue. There are tons of posts on steam about it and other forums.

As the guy above mentioned, Switch will sooner or later get left in the dust. It will rely solely on it's exclusives, and to reiterate, there simply aren't enough imo to invest in one.
I mean you can play it 1440p@60 FPS, that's better than even PS4 Pro will give you. Any PS4 probably has dips below 30 FPS for that game, so PC is definitely the better option.

PS4 also relies solely on its exclusives, and it's down to two anybody cares about: Horizon and Bloodborne. Switch had more than two worthwhile exclusives this year alone.

Last edited by Xzi,

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean you can play it 1440p@60 FPS, that's better than even PS4 Pro will give you. Any PS4 probably has dips below 30 FPS for that game, so PC is definitely the better option.

PS4 also relies solely on its exclusives, and it's down to two anybody cares about: Horizon and Bloodborne. Switch had more than two worthwhile exclusives this year alone.

Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Yakuza, Crash NSane Trilogy, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5... then there are the remastered games such as The Last Of Us etc. But on the horizon (forgive the pun), we have TLOU2, Spiderman, Days Gone, Ni No Kuni 2, God Of War... etc. Switch - I'll leave that to you. Sell me the reason I should buy one.

Reactions: invaderyoyo

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Horizon, Bloodborne, Uncharted, Yakuza, Crash NSane Trilogy, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5... then there are the remastered games such as The Last Of Us etc. But on the horizon (forgive the pun), we have TLOU2, Spiderman, Days Gone, Ni No Kuni 2, God Of War... etc. Switch - I'll leave that to you. Sell me the reason I should buy one.
to play the same damn games we used to play since we were kids, and pay for the overpriced indie games, or the same old games like mario and zelda but HD, Nintendo fanboys going crazy for those things.
you can also play the same games released on Wii U years ago like Mario Kart 8, BOTW, Pokken, Bayonetta and more to come from the "FAILED" Wii U because it have awesome games and it failed, but for the switch to have those games it will make everyone go crazy and buy the overpriced switch instead of the Wii U.
aaaaaand to stare at the lame interface of the switch it will make you feel alive.

don't get me wrong i hope the switch will success as i like the idea and the features this console can offer.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So like I said...two anyone cares about. A lot of what you listed aren't even exclusives.

to play the same damn games we used to play since we were kids
You mean like Crash Bandicoot and God of War and Ratchet and Clank? Lol. Sony doesn't even try to pretend they're being innovative, they just number all their series and consoles. Imagine if Mario Odyssey was called Mario 82 or something like that. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi,

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
So like I said...two anyone cares about. A lot of what you listed aren't even exclusives.

You mean like Crash Bandicoot and God of War and Ratchet and Clank? Lol. Sony doesn't even try to pretend they're being innovative, they just number all their series and consoles. Imagine if Mario Odyssey was called Mario 82 or something like that. :lol:
All the games that Gunz listed are ps4 exclusive.
Crash Bandicoot is a remake of the 1 2 and 3 in one Blu-ray with a reasonable price, God of War is a new story with new gameplay.
Mario is the same as always, jump and rescue princess peach from bowser, but ya still it's fun to play Mario with my kids.
Same goes for BOTW which you keep running around breaking things and kill random monsters with no reason and no story, and it's the same exact game on the Wii U but no one cares about it on the Wii U.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

I did something not sure if i made the right move almost reggretting it but thats because im not sure yet what to do..
Anyways i sold my PS4 Pro (my only console) because the plan was to get a switch with that money the reason is im rly not that into Sony and Its exclussives, all i play on it is doom and street fighter v and stuff but not any of the big exclussives like horizon or future games like God of war not interested tbh..
But i do love Mario,Zelda,Metroid etc..
Also doom is kinda dead online on PS4 on switch i heard Its pretty active and it Will Stay that way untill another big shooter hits the switch so thats a big plus in a huge doom fan.
At this point ill rather take the 30fps active version of doom VS a 60fps dead version because i love the multiplayer on it..

Anyway if i get the switch it be my only console but Its both handheld and console so thats cool too..
I did look at the one x but that one litterly had nothing i want and not only that i heard the console comes with dry thermal paste on almost Every single one of them thats horrible in few years if u dont change it it will overheat and get loud not to mention no games and also way more expansive..
I also dont want to rebuy my pro again so i guess my op my option is switch
But im curious what do you guys think is best for me for the things i like should i go for the switch?
Or get my pro back
get a vectrex

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
All the games that Gunz listed are ps4 exclusive.
The Yakuza series is not exclusive, though the newest game might be (for now). Crash Bandicoot hasn't been exclusive for a long time, though I guess if you want this particular title it's again PS4 for now. I'm betting on Horizon and Bloodborne getting PC ports at some point too.

I know there are a lot of Persona fans but it's not really my thing, so yeah, two exclusives I'd be interested in altogether. If PS4 was at least somehow innovative in its hardware, then it might be worth mulling over. Unfortunately, it is not. Better to wait for PC ports so I don't have to deal with sub-par framerates and resolution/graphics options.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ